Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power liftgate now standard? Or do you still need the premium package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked at the new Model S configurator and it lists the power liftgate as a standard feature. But it is also still listed under the premium package. So which is it? Do you still need to pony up for the premium package to get the power liftgate?

Ya I don't think they would remove power lift gate from the premium package... cause otherwise the premium package would be pretty much meaningless... I would imagine lots of people get the premium package in order to just get the power lift gate.

I suspect this is the same as it had been before. Without the premium package (or on older cars, w/o the tech package), you can unlock it and the pneumatic struts will open it. You must close it manually. With the premium package (or on older cars, with the tech package), you get a power liftgate for opening AND closing.

I agree with ecarfan. The website changed from this afternoon to this evening, and they have removed the automatic lift gate text from the standard list. I'm really not sure how they can let errors like this slip through.
Because it's a difference in terminology.

Automatic liftgate does not technically mean it is powered. So it is likely an engineer/technician described it as an automatic liftgate because the pneumatic struts want to extend and once the liftgate is unlatched, it will extend. That's great, in a vacuum of knowledge. The problem is that people then confused that with the liftgate with the powered strut that can open/close electronically as well as have a set-point where to stop being opened.

So the site was technically correct, but common parlance would mean people got confused what was included -- exactly what led to this thread being created. Given that it would be unusual for any hatchback nowadays to NOT have struts at all, the omission of the entry is, IMO, the proper action.

I agree with ecarfan. The website changed from this afternoon to this evening, and they have removed the automatic lift gate text from the standard list. I'm really not sure how they can let errors like this slip through.

Seriously? I was happy to see it standard (as is should be on a car in this class) so if removed that is very weird. Is still listed on the Australian site where I am, I'm hoping it stays there and is in my order. People would be making purchase decisions today based on it, that's a crazy mistake if real.

so if removed that is very weird

It wasn't removed (from the car). It was never there in the first place (on the car). People just mixed up what the automatic liftgate vs. the power liftgate wording on the website meant. The former has always been available. The latter was an option (first part of the tech package, and then when that was broken up, part of the premium package).