TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Power limiting S85 AP1

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Acho, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Acho

Acho Member

I noticed it before but the battery was bellow 50% so I thought that this is the reason but today with battery at 70% I had it again. At hard acceleration /pedal all the way down/ i got yellow teiangle with exclamation mark on energy dial on my dash and the dial got the orange line up to 300kw/h. I noticed it when the speed past 80, may be 90 mph and it stayed for abot 30 sec after the acceleration was over.

Is that normal?

Tomorrow I am going to try to replicate it and will make a video to be clear what I am experiencing.

The car was parked in garage with 83 F air temperature less than a mile away from this event. This less than a mile was druven easy with 25-30 mph with no hard acceleration at all. The outside temp was 98 F.

Disclaimer: I am not driving like fanatic. There is private road where I work with no traffic so no laws was brocken during this event!

2. Acho

Acho Member

Anyone?

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

in 3+ years of owning a tesla and many thousands of miles driving the teslas I've never pushed the pedal all the way to the floor. so I can't offer you any advice and I bet many share my experience.

• Funny x 1
  4. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Sometimes that comes in when regen is limited, but that triangle can be used for a bunch of situations. Did you notice any unexpected loss of power? Or did the car drive and accelerate as usual? You may want to call your service centre and ask, sometimes they can pull the logs for your car and get you more info.

If it goes away and the car does not drive strange then I won't worry much about it.

5. Acho

Acho Member

This was at about 60% battery

IMG_9125.JPG

6. sorka

sorka Active Member

Your battery was too hot and it was limiting power. Either because it had been pushed too hard or because there's a failure in the cooling system.

7. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Ok, that's not right.
    Go take it in to service and let them see what's going on if that happened all the time without extreme driving.

435 wh/mile is pretty aggressive but it isn't extreme.

8. mcbarnet007

mcbarnet007 Member

if weather is hot and he has been accelerating and regening I can see the battery overheating fast.