Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk and frunk [pre 2021 Model 3]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, a great company is called Ultimate Audio in West Wickham South London. They did a great job for me, and I'm going back on Friday for them to do the frunk foot sensor (ran out of time last time). As for Darren, and please say that Abs has referred you!

No idea why they ran out if time!! It only adds 10 mins or so onto the rest of the frunk fitting

Yes, a great company is called Ultimate Audio in West Wickham South London. They did a great job for me, and I'm going back on Friday for them to do the frunk foot sensor (ran out of time last time). As for Darren, and please say that Abs has referred you!
How has your power tailgate worked out? Looking at the same installer. Did they supply and install or just install?

I’m not certain but I also don’t think it will auto lock with the boot open.

You can open the boot without unlocking the car, but once unlocked I’m pretty sure bonnet, boot and doors need to be closed for it to to auto lock.

Sorry to come in late in the threads - and there may be other threads talking about this.....but I was talking to a person at Tesla as my car went in for some work, and we were talking about the 2021 model....I said I only really care about the Power Trunk, but there are kits available.

He said "these infringe warranty so be careful" - worried me, so I dont know now if I want to get them

Thoughts?

He said "these infringe warranty so be careful" - worried me, so I dont know now if I want to get them

You only have to attach something on the tow hitch and Tesla will tell you that it will infringe warranty.

Last time I looked, there were no Tesla approved accessories for a Model 3.

upload_2020-12-13_9-32-0.png

Regarding potential warranty issues, the onus is on the manufacturer to show that any accessory has caused the particular warranty problem, not the other way around. Fitting a power frunk or boot kit shouldn't normally create any significant warranty issues, but clearly if it taps into the CANbus and that causes other faults to appear then that would be a good reason for Tesla to refuse a warranty claim.

Same goes if the motorised rams damage the boot seal, or if they overload the circuit they are connected to, Tesla wouldn't entertain a warranty claim for such damage. If something went wrong that was unconnected with any modification to the car, then Tesla would still have to honour the warranty - they cannot refuse unless they can show that a modification caused the problem in question.

My view is that fitting the power frunk/boot kit is pretty low risk, as long as neither tap into the CANbus, and as long as the electrical installation is done to a safe standard.

I’ve seen a video where the struts have caused damage to the rubber lip at the bottom of the windscreen, splitting it.

It is of note that the 2021 model has a cutout for the strut area. I guess that means it’s not necessary, but is worth noting.

i too would be concerned about CANBUS interaction, in terms of what might get logged or whatever, or if the car could end up with other issues due to a fault with the kit (e.g. draining 12v)

Also I’m concerned at how many different new versions keep coming out. I think Hansshow is on v4 for the trunk and v3 for the trunk, and apparently recently they changed the control box (cheaped out?) and made it plastic, with no state LEDs etc.

With the Tesla version at least you could fit it and know it’s designed to work with the car, and won’t change for the life of that generation, and will be warrantied.

I’m hoping at some point someone will get a salvage 2021 and be able to work out what’s involved in retrofitting it.

I’ve had the trunk from Hannshow since July. No issues at all and mine isn’t plugged into the CANBUS.

That being said I’m one of the select few who hasn’t ever had to goto a service centre for any car faults.
Sooooooo Lucky.........even though I have had to go in 3 times.....still love the car......I wonder if I should start a post to see how many people there are who have not had to go to SC :)

Mr H (Darren) arrived on time this morning to install the electric boot kit in my m3LR. I had decided against the frunk kit as i rarely open it and also decided against the under bumper foot sensor for the boot.
Darren as expected did a superb installation in spite of having to endure the rain & wind bestowed on us today. He pays attention to detail, using the correct tools for each task and protecting the paintwork where needed.
I would certainly recommend him without hesitation.

That's worrying. I've looked at mine but I can't work out how the struts would do that. However, I'd very much appreciate a link to that video if you have it handy.
I heard about it for the first time after watching this comparison video:

The section on the struts for both kits starts at about 2:15 in the video. Both kits show marks on the rubber lip thing, with the Hansshow kit having made a cut on one side.

I have no idea how prevalent that is though, or how noteworthy given that Tesla cut out that part on the 2021 model.

The section on the struts for both kits starts at about 2:15 in the video. Both kits show marks on the rubber lip thing, with the Hansshow kit having made a cut on one side.

That's great - thanks. When you mentioned 'windscreen', I thought you were referring to the front windscreen. I only have the frunk kit installed and those struts don't interfere with anything. Definitely something to watch for on the rear though.