Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received the phone call yesterday evening while I was driving through a gap in cell phone coverage, and just found the voicemail right now. Here's their wording:

"(name) from Tesla"
"Ready for next steps with Tesla PowerWall Proposal."
"Call (number) at service provider Solar City to review next steps."

I'll call them back during business hours later today.

• Helpful
Reactions: nativewolf
I also received a VM this morning from Tesla with a contact number to set up next steps for a Powerwall install. I will probably hold off and do this together with a Solar Roof installation but they did say they could send someone out next week to survey the property for the install. Sounds like the wheels are in motion ....

Reactions: Falkirk
We had a SolarCity rep do a site survey today to provide information for their engineers for creating plans for our PowerWall installation. We reserved 2 units on the night of the reveal. There are two possible sites for installation - one on an east-facing wall or our house where our main panel and two solar inverters are, or on the north side around the corner from the panels and inverters to keep the PowerWalls out of direct sunlight.

Now we wait to see what the plans look like. If we go through only one of the inverters, the output of the two PowerWalls will be limited by the capacity of that inverter (about 5 kW, IIRC). If they put them in parallel - one through each inverter - we should never reach the limit imposed by the combination. The 5 kW limit may become important when we eventually have multiple, long-range electric cars to charge.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
I also received a call last week, and finally got around to calling them back to make the appointment. Looks like they're running a couple of weeks out at this point, but I'm on the calendar.
Ditto, although here they are only half a week out. It might just be normal business cycles: there's a sort of hiccup in economic activity around here that happened post-election and really manifested during the two months of storms, and capacity may be higher than demand temporarily. Once this gets going and evens out, though, it could be anything.

Just got a call from Tesla and they scheduled Powerwall-2 audit at my home with SolarCity. So... it looks like they finally have some Powerwall-2's ready to install. Not quite sure why they are keeping the SolarCity name? (note the DBA Tesla Energy in the footer)

Hello,

We have you scheduled to do a Powerwall Audit on Sat. March ....

Thanks

Jenifer Frazier
Field Service Scheduler | SolarCity
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
t: 725-333-7717 EXT 60723

SolarCity Corporation DBA Tesla Energy. CA CSLB 888104, MA HIC 168572/EL-1136MR. Click here to view our complete list of license numbers by state.

First PowerWall 2 site visit today:

SolarCity (their service provider) came out inside the two hour window. He had to take pictures of each circuit breaker box inside and out, which required removing all of the outer covers and the inner separating covers of every circuit breaker box, to get the wiring and circuit breakers pictured. I didn't check closely enough to see if he also took pictures of the circuit breaker box stickers (which if they went through this much trouble, I'd specify they also take pictures of, so I kind of assume they try to do that). He had an insulating floor mat, insulating gloves, face shield, and all covered in clothing head to toe (long sleeves and long pants, of course) for that step, and used a flathead screwdriver to take off all the panels and put them back (I said they ought to provide a Robertson screwdriver too); that way they can safely document while everything is still on. He took pictures of the serial #s of the solar panel inverters, and of all the possible spots to install at, and of the surrounding of the house to find all the kinds of utilities. He said the batteries have to be a certain distance from the gas main. Took measurements of possible locations to put installation. Took picture of solar panels. Took pictures of access pathways. Took pictures of Internet cables and ports. They need an Internet port, so he did ask if I had a port, and I explained that I will provide a port. This all took a while, as you can expect, with three circuit breaker panels and a SolarEdge inverter that is a model prepared for battery. He was here for almost 1 hour 45 minutes.

I told him to try 3 installation locations and 2 styles of installation: direct to main panel and direct to SolarEdge inverter, since both are technically feasible. None of the options is perfect, so I have to weigh the output of the engineering group when they get back to me and see what makes sense. One location requires a conduit run and is outside but has ample room. Another location is inside and requires no conduit run but requires moving some equipment and conduit and maybe a water pipe. A third area is too small and outside. The inverter probably has lower watt rating than batteries. Final confirmation that the inverter works with PowerWall 2 would need to be made, although, I already had that confirmed half a year ago from SolarEdge on this model. So, lots of choices.

I imagine they are taking the process slow and doing full documentation during the ramp up so that they know what is necessary and don't miss anything, and slowly streamline from there. If I had a workflow My recommendation to them would be to use a drone for all pictures and measurements, but I don't think there's any way around the circuit breaker box opening and closing documentation that they do, which is smart, as far as I'm concerned.

I asked what the timeline to expect was, and his rough timeline was:
  1. 3-5 days for engineers to do work, then I am contacted with that for choices of where to install and stuff like that
  2. 1-2 weeks for permitting
  3. 1 day for install
Here's the dimensions paperwork he showed me, which he said they just got earlier this week (or did he say within the last week or two weeks -- I forget already):

IMG_6144.JPG

He said I was one of the first of the first 2,000 customers.

Last edited:
Yesterday I got a voicemail from Solar City regarding my Powerwall 2 reservation. I called back and spoke to someone who could not answer any questions, he appeared to be limited to reading from his canned script describing what a site visit would consist of. I asked to be transferred to a Tesla Energy representative who could provide more information. I was transferred and spoke to a pleasant fellow wo was willing to listen to my description of my existing 9.8kW system, SolarEdge inverter, and Powerwall 1. He could not tell me whether a DC or AC Powerwall 2 would be more suited to add to my system. But that's okay: month ago I discussed that issue with my Telsa Energy contacts and likely the AC version is what I will get, and I wasn't expecting to be able to get a Powerwall 2 so early in the year so have decided to cancel my reservation and get one later. I've got to do some remodeling in my small garage to make space for another Powerwall anyway, and there's no rush.

Yesterday I got a voicemail from Solar City regarding my Powerwall 2 reservation. I called back and spoke to someone who could not answer any questions, he appeared to be limited to reading from his canned script describing what a site visit would consist of. I asked to be transferred to a Tesla Energy representative who could provide more information. I was transferred and spoke to a pleasant fellow wo was willing to listen to my description of my existing 9.8kW system, SolarEdge inverter, and Powerwall 1. He could not tell me whether a DC or AC Powerwall 2 would be more suited to add to my system. But that's okay: month ago I discussed that issue with my Telsa Energy contacts and likely the AC version is what I will get, and I wasn't expecting to be able to get a Powerwall 2 so early in the year so have decided to cancel my reservation and get one later. I've got to do some remodeling in my small garage to make space for another Powerwall anyway, and there's no rush.
Wait, so you tortured these callcenter reps for information you already knew?! ;)

SolarCity is in the beginning of a very steep learning curve, I believe.

I just finished catching up with the TV show "The Expanse", so I'm in a bit of a raw mood.

I should run down the sequencing I got and offer a procedural conclusion:
  1. Elon announcement of PowerWall 2. Reservations open.
  2. I reserved.
  3. I got voicemail from someone regarding this.
  4. I call back, and the person answers that they are with Solar City Scheduling. I think that's key: they put you in a work flow here. I accepted this prospect and made an appointment.

Let me pause and explain something. When I was getting solar, I looked for the best companies. Solar City was nowhere near the top of the list. Then, when Tesla wanted to merge with Solar City, I got curious to see if they got their act together. The reason I ran the Solar City rep out the door was he quoted me odd procedures that no other solar company I talked to or visited me had ever even hinted. I realized Solar City was a rigid, slow, corporate, policy driven, insurance fearing, inflexible, step by step, and inefficient entity. I knew this after everyone said that Solar City was the one involved in this thread. So, I figured, there's absolutely no way to move forward with SC without this damned processing.

So, once I had the appointment, I said thank you and concluded. I never asked any other questions, and the procedure went beautifully. There's the rub: it's lockstep.
  5. The appointment day came. The Solar City rep was very professional and courteous. I immediately realized he was very well trained to take site telemetry, and that's it. He's the equivalent of the military person on the ground who paints a target for aerial combat. He doesn't have the plane. I told him what he needed to know from me in order for him to do his job at my site, which he seemed to do very well. He left, but not before me asking and him explaining the next steps, which I already mentioned above in my message. I'll quickly repeat them here for completeness:
  6. 3-5 days in Engineering, then they contact me and I make choices.
  7. 1-2 weeks in permitting.
  8. 1 day in installing.
So, in other words, the only people who know anything about all the choices available in any kind of tangibly conclusive way are in step 6. Not some salesman step like you'd get in most companies (look who's in step one in my list incidentally), but something completely different. Remember Ebay, Paypal? What were their sales models? Now, drift to Tesla: what is its sales model? It's a mixture of in-store and ethernet. What we're getting is kind of the "Early Bird Special" treatment, which in Tesla speak, is guinea pigs. I think we should all know that going in. Heck, one of us here will probably have one of the first installations. We'll probably know more about the installation than the sales people, even when they do train them.

Now, all of this happened before I got back to TMC to report back. Then, I read about the other company also selling them (Swell Energy). I'm interested in what they might have to say, but for now, I'll see it through with Tesla's Service Provider, which is Solar City, a different company, I know, but at least they're lined up to be able to handle it as if they are in house to Tesla Energy itself, and I want to experience that type of engagement, for as long as it seems reasonable, but I'll pull the plug if not.

I haven't yet decided on whether I can move forward yet, but it's premature to make that decision until step 6. I know I want them. The only question is how to integrate it into our current and future setups of my solar panels and roofs (which I will likely expand), existing inverters, and financing. Because this is a fresh market, there are questions that no one can answer without the proper engineering that I need to know the answers to before I move ahead. And, that's what's happening.

And, I want to compliment Tesla Energy for finally coming to market. This growth can't start until it starts. We will be able to see Gigafactory output with our own eyes.

Last edited:
I got the engineering call back today. :D There are some things I must have said during the process that got put into one single proposal, which looks extremely complete in its ambitions, which I'm all for. I ran the calculations myself when I put in the reservations and came to the same conclusions they did. I thought I would ease into it, but their proposal is to do it all in one shot. I'll have to think this over.

Last edited: