Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWall 2 Interface with a Generator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The long-awaited official Tesla Solar/Powerwall installer came yesterday from Fresno, and the first thing he did was to swap out the backup gateway (or BUG) as he called it. It was a bit of a process to take the guts out of the new unit and put them in the older metal box, drill holes for the new antennas, etc. but it got done. He seemed like a good guy. That was the good news. The bad news is that we never got the system to connect successfully with Tesla server and new firmware downloaded. The firmware we were starting with as 10. something. We tried the two Ethernet cables, my two WiFi networks which are weak at that distance and even a phone hotspot via my microcell, (also weak) all with no luck. We also tried a WiFi extender, and even a powerline adapter, again with no luck. The phone hotspot came the closest to working, but the download time, once started kept increasing.

This time customer support asked how long is the Ethernet cable we were using. It was 250 feet. They said that 100’ was the longest length that would work, maybe 150’ max. I replied that the spec is 100 meters, or 328’, but they insisted that 250’ would not work and that we would need to put in a series of WiFi extenders, and since each was good for 25’, and we would need 10 of them, each with power, etc.

I mentioned that my laptop found the Internet no problem via the Cat5e Ethernet cable, so I didn’t see why their BUG would not as well. It simply won’t work was the reply. The Tesla installer took pictures, and this will go to Tesla engineering for an official solution. I was giving the customer support number and told that I would need to call them to schedule another appointment.

Obviously my BS detector was going off again during much of this, but the local installer and I felt that either with a directional WiFi antenna and amplifier, or a fiber connection we could get the job done much more simply than 10 WiFi extenders. Today, I used my laptop to do a speed test on the 250’ long Ethernet cable and I got exactly the same down and up speeds that I do in the house (24+/2+). That cable seems fine to me.

I am hoping that tomorrow the local installer and I can try again, perhaps with another higher quality WiFi extender at the house. I would try again today, but I need the installer password.

Are there other installations out there that need to deal with distance issues? Other feedback? Thanks.

Just put a switch at the end of the 250' ethernet cable and then tell them the ethernet cable length is 6 feet. In all seriousness, maybe the switch would have better ethernet hardware than the Gateway and it could actually help.

Edit: I suspect it's more likely to be a software issue than a hardware issue, though. Does the Gateway think it's connected to the LAN? Can you tell on the other end of the Ethernet cable whether whatever you're plugged into (router or switch) thinks it's connected?

Reactions: Janus and MP3Mike
Yes, but the first thing they said was no switches or hubs between the modem and BUG. The underground cable currently goes to a hub that we were (are) going to use to combine the Ethernet signals from my two solar inverters with the gateway Ethernet. One we get the BUG working with the new above ground cable, then I'll see what other networking configurations also work.

So my network topology has two switches and a router (acting as an access point, so effectively another switch) between the modem and the Gateway and it's working perfectly. Obviously switches are points of failure they don't want to deal with, but that advice is questionable.

Did you try the Gateway serial number as the installer password? It should begin with an "S", so "STG...." If your label has a number starting with TG, just add the S.

Mike, I could run a longer phone line (POT) and temporarily place the modem/router closer to the BUG, but I am not sure that it would actually increase the reliability of the Ethernet connection. I am actually hopeful that tomorrow the local installer and I can make some progress. We will see.

Thanks

Thanks for all the help. When I got home this afternoon, I was able to login with my laptop via the TEG and run the wizard. Remarkably it found the Ethernet was already connected (via the older underground cable with switches and hubs that we had left hooked up) and the firmware had magically updated to 1.22.3. I ran the wizard and had lots of fun entering info about the inverters and gasp!, even our generator. Got stuck though when it came to which CT was which. Our local installer on his way out to the house, to hopefully get this thing up and running, just before sunset!

• Love
Reactions: miimura and MP3Mike
Things went great on Sunday in the Self Powered mode and the Powerwall was 100% charged by about 11AM and once the sun went down at 4 something, the Powerwall started discharging to cover the needs of our whole house till about midnight, at which point it reached the 15% limit I had set. Then in the middle of the night, (3AM) I suddenly had the choice of Advanced TBC and I selected that and Balanced and edited the times, etc. Now today at first I was having problems having the PW charge at all, but switching to Self Powered and Back to TBC seemed to solve that problem. Now that the sun has gone done the PW is sitting at 100% and not discharging whether I am in TBC or Self Powered. The grid is taking all the load. Not sure what is going on???

Edit: Now after switching modes several times, the PW2 seems to have come out of Standby and in now discharging as it should at this time of day.

Last edited:
Now that the sun has gone done the PW is sitting at 100% and not discharging whether I am in TBC or Self Powered. The grid is taking all the load. Not sure what is going on???

Are you aware that the Powerwalls only apply configuration changes made through the app once an hour? You may have to wait up to an hour before the Powerwall actually starts following the new settings.

• Informative
Reactions: cr0ntab
Thanks for both replies. Very helpful. When I got the PW a year ago, I studied every piece of information about it out there and read every thread on this forum. Over the last year while waiting for the installation, I lost some enthusiasm for the project and now have to start learning all over again. And fortunately there are a lot more operational capabilities than there use to be.

Things are working as they should this morning, although the solar got off to a slow and sputtering start as there are actually clouds in the sky for the first time in months as we are anticipating the first rain of the season tomorrow. When I activated TBC the other evening I also activated Storm Watch and it may have caused the PW to go all electron retentive in anticipation of a "storm". If a predicted 0.25 inches of rain 2 days out is a "storm" that overrides TBC then this mode may not be appropriate for use in California in the winter. I'll leave it off for now and make sure my generator integration works as planned. Thanks again.

My understanding is if storm watch kicks in, it will tell you so in the app with bright letters saying Storm Watch or something like that. We also had a "rain" today in east bay. No storm watch kicked in for us today or yesterday, charged and discharged as normal.

I noticed yesterday that the Storm Watch symbol in Customize was blinking with an ! when I turned it on. I was and am not sure whether that meant that it was "On" or that it had detected a "storm" and had the PW2 keep its charge for a potential power failure rather than discharge according to TBC. Right now TBC is working beautifully. I was excited to see the flow change at 2 PM a few minutes ago when we entered Peak pricing.

This is what Storm Watch looks like when it is active. This was taken from a Facebook post on the subject.

Storm Watch Example.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
Thanks, that was not what was happening then as I would have noticed that. Now if I could only see the percent charge of the PW2 on the Power Flow page....
When the grid is down, the app does display the battery percentage on the Power Flow page. Well, actually, this is not the Power Flow page, they change the main page to show the power flow and move the Energy Usage chart to the menu. I never noticed that difference before. I guess it's to highlight the outage.

2018-06-24_23-36-54.jpg