Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: Reboot the gateway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you mean you cannot connect to the WiFi of the gateway (TEG-XXX) or the gateway lost connection again?

Gateway lost connection to my LAN.

[/QUOTE]I think if it is the first case, it is meant to be. Once your gateway is connected to your home WiFi, the TEG-XXX is turned off.[/QUOTE]

Not in my experience. I ran this scan after confirming that my gateway was connected to my LAN.

Do you mean you cannot connect to the WiFi of the gateway (TEG-XXX) or the gateway lost connection again?

I think if it is the first case, it is meant to be. Once your gateway is connected to your home WiFi, the TEG-XXX is turned off.

Not in my case - right now mine is connected simultaneously by ethernet cable to my LAN, by wifi to my LAN, and a laptop connected to the built-in TED-XXX wifi, and the Tesla 3G cellular M2M connection back to the mother-ship.

In my case, I connect to the Gateway's AP TEG-XXX and login to force a connection back to my home WiFi. At least that worked.

Gateway lost connection to my LAN.
I think if it is the first case, it is meant to be. Once your gateway is connected to your home WiFi, the TEG-XXX is turned off.[/QUOTE]

Not in my experience. I ran this scan after confirming that my gateway was connected to my LAN.[/QUOTE]

• Informative
Reactions: PBBear
In my case, I connect to the Gateway's AP TEG-XXX and login to force a connection back to my home WiFi. At least that worked.

I think if it is the first case, it is meant to be. Once your gateway is connected to your home WiFi, the TEG-XXX is turned off.

Not in my experience. I ran this scan after confirming that my gateway was connected to my LAN.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Even if the PW2 is connected to the local WiFi, the TEG network remains.

• Helpful
Reactions: PBBear
I just hit a reset button on the gateway. There's a little plastic tube that leads to it.
I have tried powering down the GW and PW2 for over 10 mins, no luck I can still see lights (and an electrical buzzing) on my gateway behind the covers....please could you post a pic of the reset button/tube, many thanks Neil
BTW stuck on 1.26 Tesla support recommended a gateway reboot with no instructions to force the 1.30 FW upgrade :-(

Attachments

• IMG_20181231_153334.jpg
    IMG_20181231_153334.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 826
I have tried powering down the GW and PW2 for over 10 mins, no luck I can still see lights (and an electrical buzzing) on my gateway behind the covers....please could you post a pic of the reset button/tube, many thanks Neil
BTW stuck on 1.26 Tesla support recommended a gateway reboot with no instructions to force the 1.30 FW upgrade :-(
ok so i unscrewed and plugged back in the PWR and COMMS cables to reset the GW, hope this helps other UK PW users

Hello, New here to TESLA Community. I just got my TESLA Power Wall installed last Saturday. Been playing with monitoring and setting all weekend, literally, (as I'm sure everyone else does when connecting a new Power Wall), anyways, been having to mayor issues, FIRST, the installer only programmed the internet with its interior cellular connection, and, the problem I'm having is that it keeps shutting off or disconnecting. As of right now, no connection for the past 2.5 hours. The SECOND issue is that for the past two evenings, exactly at 8:30pm the system freezes at a constant reading of 3.1 and 3.5 kwh consumption with no fluctuation. This lasts for about 1.5 to 2.0 hours. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!!

You should be able to get the Gateway to connect to your wi-fi network by using the wi-fi network on the Gateway and setting up the network configuration: Monitoring from your Home Network | Tesla

I tried what Tesla recommended, but found that my installation (3 weeks old) varied from what Tesla has published.

Connecting to the Gateway
If your system is already connected to your home network with a wireless or a wired connection, you can navigate to the Powerwall Wizard landing page from a standard web browser.

1. Launch a browser using any device connected to your home network.
  2. Enter https://teg-xxx, where xxx is the last 3 digits of the Gateway serial number.
My Gateway wasn't responding to teg-xxx. So I found it's IP address and attempted to connect using Chrome with https://192.168.XXX.XXX.

Chrome would not connect, because the security certificate was teg.

The fix for my Windows 7 and 10 devices was to edit the HOST file in C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc to add the following line, with XXX representing your actual gateway ip address.

192.168.XXX.XXX teg #Tesla Energy Gateway

Now, I simply type https:teg at any browser and the gateway comes up with no certificate errors.

If your system is not connected to your home network, you can connect to the Wi-Fi network hosted by the Gateway.

1. Using a Wi-Fi capable computer, tablet, or phone, connect to the Gateway Wi-Fi network, which appears as “TEG-xxx,” where xxx is the last 3 digits of the Gateway serial number.

2. Wi-Fi Password: Enter the full serial number of the Gateway:
  • If the serial number starts with an “S,” enter the full serial number of the Gateway as it appears on the serial number sticker (without parentheses or colon).
  • If the serial number does not start with an “S,” enter an uppercase “S” and follow with the full serial number of the Gateway as it appears on the serial number sticker.

You actually can tell Chrome to ignore the certificate mismatch using the "Advanced" link on the certificate error page, although adding the hosts entry works too if you prefer not to see the warning.

However, @Papiti can't use this technique because the Gateway is not connected to the LAN. Following the procedure starting with "If your system is not connected to your home network...." should allow configuring the Gateway to use Wifi instead of the cellular connection, at which point your method would work.