Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: Reboot the gateway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sent a technician out to fix some connectivity issue I reported as I was off WiFi and only on cellular. He managed to get the gateway to connect to my WiFi network at home before he left and it seemed to be working. About an hour after he left, my gateway lost connection to Tesla and now the PowerWall is no longer functioning.

Do you think I can try to reboot the gateway to solve this issue? If so, how? My gateway does not have a reset button as some other ones has.

Do you think I can try to reboot the gateway to solve this issue? If so, how? My gateway does not have a reset button as some other ones has.

It's probably worth trying. You'll have turn off the Powerwall, and power down the solar and grid, and leave it all off for ten minutes or so. Unfortunately, that means you have to tolerate the 10 minute power outage.

It's probably worth trying. You'll have turn off the Powerwall, and power down the solar and grid, and leave it all off for ten minutes or so. Unfortunately, that means you have to tolerate the 10 minute power outage.
If all the intelligence and communication is in the Neurio. Could one just reboot the Neurio? The rest of the gateway is just relays, correct?

I did try to flip the breaker for the Neurio which has fixed similar issue previously but this time is did not do anything. Not sure what the guy did but it was working except it only got onto cellular and cannot connect to the WiFi properly and now there is no connection at all...

If all the intelligence and communication is in the Neurio. Could one just reboot the Neurio? The rest of the gateway is just relays, correct?

So powering down the gateway for 10 minutes did not help. When it came back on, it was still offline.

However, I decided to login into the gateway webpage and as soon as I login, I saw this "Start Powerwall" button prominently on the page and guess what? I hit the button and the Powerwall is back up now. My question is that, why was it off? And why it did not come back on after a power cycle?

Well. at least the PW2 is working again. Tesla is still sending a technician out to check on the system even I called and tried to cancel the appointment. Let's hope he/she won't knock it out after the visit. :p

BTW, all four of my batteries are blinking. In case it makes any difference.

And I just powered down the gateway for 10 minutes, let's see if it helps.

As far as I can see, the Neurio is just a monitoring system. Indeed, it's far from clear to me that it provides anything that the standard Powerwall 2 installation doesn't.

The gateway contains a processor (probably running Linux), and is certainly more than just relays.

Reactions: Ampster
As far as I can see, the Neurio is just a monitoring system. Indeed, it's far from clear to me that it provides anything that the standard Powerwall 2 installation doesn't.

The gateway contains a processor (probably running Linux), and is certainly more than just relays.

I think the Neurio is the only way the Gateway knows the solar production and home load. Without it, it wouldn't know how much to discharge or charge to achieve the target site current.

I also had to reset my Gateway a few times in the past due to web server lockup. My GW doesn't have a reset button. For a successful reset, make sure that the LED on the Powerwall is off before flipping the breaker on the GW.

Even easier than sitting watching the LED - monitor the wifi TEG-XXX gateway signal. When the TEG-XXX wifi SSID is no longer being broadcast, the gateway is powered down. Usually there's enough radio range that you can be sitting somewhere comfortable waiting for the wifi connection to die, rather than standing within eye-shot of the pulsing-green-stripes!

Unfortunately, I actually need to sit right next to the gateway to see the SSID of the gateway WiFi. But since my guest room is one wall behind the gateway, I can just do it inside the house.

Even easier than sitting watching the LED - monitor the wifi TEG-XXX gateway signal. When the TEG-XXX wifi SSID is no longer being broadcast, the gateway is powered down. Usually there's enough radio range that you can be sitting somewhere comfortable waiting for the wifi connection to die, rather than standing within eye-shot of the pulsing-green-stripes!

Reactions: PBBear