Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: Technical

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys should get together, put your photos, research, technical data and graphs together and offer it for sell on Ebay. I don't think any manufacturer has the amount of data that is posted on this site.
Oh no. What we're doing so far is just the Engineering equivalent of looking outside and seeing if it's dark or light outside; it is not sophisticated at all. What we're trying to do is the engineering equivalent of venturing outside, and what we wish to do is the engineering equivalent of going outside with clothes on. This is not that sophisticated.

Support and compatibility are different. The technology is so new. Is SolarEdge saying they are not compatible or are they saying they are not sure how Tesla equipment works with their product and thus does not technically support it?
Probably the latter, but it is an extremely wimpy position. A customer-focused proactive reaction would be to (a) already have an answer of full compatibility, or (b) explain the current software capabilities, say they'll try to integrate with Tesla, contact Tesla immediately and arrange for interoperability coordination, and then come back with the proper answer, or at the very least (c) give some indications about the current software functionality available and say they'll contact Tesla and find out, and do so, and answer.

This is consumer level home power equipment; we shouldn't have to pay special fees in order for it to work right. That is something the various corporations should have already worked out, or at the very least, be cognizant that they should be on the ball and get it worked out quickly.

Reactions: Kren
Nearing the end of the month here. My monthly flow to my "backup only" Powerwalls has been 13kWh. I initially attributed that entirely to vampire drain but I notice that last week I had a couple of charging events on the Powerwalls that added up to 8.9kWh. I don't know what those are, as I didn't test the system or flip the service breaker. We didn't have an outage either.

~4kWh over a month seems reasonable but 13kWh would be a bit high for vampire drain, no?

You guys should get together, put your photos, research, technical data and graphs together and offer it for sell on Ebay. I don't think any manufacturer has the amount of data that is posted on this site.

I gather nobody posting here is trying to make a profit. Well...errr....at least not from information --- only if the money comes from the sun, our local utility, and possibly from existing state and federal programs. But I get your main message: this site is awesome. :cool:

Nearing the end of the month here. My monthly flow to my "backup only" Powerwalls has been 13kWh. I initially attributed that entirely to vampire drain but I notice that last week I had a couple of charging events on the Powerwalls that added up to 8.9kWh. I don't know what those are, as I didn't test the system or flip the service breaker. We didn't have an outage either.

~4kWh over a month seems reasonable but 13kWh would be a bit high for vampire drain, no?
The Tesla app lists Backup events. Are there any significant ones?

Its use graphs also go back one week and one month; check if it saved enough history detail for you to decipher. I didn't know it went back a week or a month until after I started collecting samples, but I'm glad I did, since I can massage the output so easily now.

I wonder if you were part of an unannounced effort to counteract the eclipse. My PowerWalls acted funny the day before; I attributed it to user error (I had unusual number of family over so everything was different), but it could have been that (seems unlikely though; I doubt we gave Tesla permission).

That would be 18W average over 30 days - That's double what I would hope to see maximum for a somewhat efficient monitoring system, but if any cooling or temperature management had to run, that would explain it. Then again, Tesla isn't exactly known for having low vampire draw...

So as @drees says, for (at worse, assuming no backup was actually triggered) 13kWh loss in a month, you are talking 18W vampire drain. I looked up my data on my Model S vampire drain right after 2013 delivery. I had just had a baby before picking up the car in Fremont (exciting times) so the car sat parked for 5 days and I logged the vampire drain. This was version 4 of the firmware and we can assume the Powerwall software is similarly immature, and of course the car will provide an upper limit since it has a lot more to do, but both have the liquid cooling BMS and networked computer system. That data gave me 3272 Wh/day vampire loss, or 136W. Pretty huge but comparable to what others were measuring at the time. Now with new software and sleeping it has come way down. However, the Powerwall cannot sleep I think, so I would not be surprised at an 18W figure. It seems, unlike the car, you can measure the vampire drain directly though with a meter and/or CT during power cycling of the Powerwall system.

Also here is some food for thought: the original vampire drain I quote above for the Model S 85kWh battery amounts to a vampire energy drain over a month roughly equivalent to the total battery energy capacity. And your figure happens to be the same for the Powerwall. So proportionally speaking, they are close, and definitely same order of magnitude.

Reactions: Gwgan
If anyone has an UPS battery backup devices, they might be interested to know that these will likely not work how you would expect with the Powerwall. Apparently the Powerwall and other generates create a somewhat noisy AC signal, and UPSes interpret this as a power problem, immediately switching to their own internal backup when the Powerwall is supply power directly off its battery when the grid is disconnected. Apparently there are some UPSes called double conversion that are able to deal with these issues (as they have an always on AC->DC->AC) but they are generally quite loud and expensive.

I found this out when I manually turned off my main breaker after signing up for OhmConnect (which I earned $5 for switching off my main load for two hours earlier this week!). Although I should note that I am not sure if the UPS doesn't function all of the time or only when the Powerwall is modifying its own AC generation in order to keep the solar panels from generating power (I noticed this when the Powerwall was already at 100% charge, but the sun was going down so the panels were only generating a tiny amount of energy).

@mr blue sky, I think we need to be careful about what we call a "noisy signal" from the Powerwall. In the situation you describe I would say (from what we have learned above) that the Powerwall is frequency shifting which will trigger a typical UPS that doesn't have power conditioning capability into battery backup mode (in the same way your inverters got shut down on purpose). All of this while still possibly giving a "clean" AC signal (albeit at a shifted frequency). Did you actually measure noise on your AC lines when being supplied by the Powerwall? I will do this when/if I eventually get them installed but now can only go on the spec and this should be pretty clean.

I'm not trying to discount your observation. That is very useful and I I hadn't thought of the UPS ramifications of frequency shifting until your post. Because my grid power is "challenged" I invested in power conditioning UPSs a while ago. I was mainly spec'ing for total blackout runtime, voltage sags and brownouts but now I'm going to check the frequency tolerance thanks to your info.

Last edited:
I found this out when I manually turned off my main breaker after signing up for OhmConnect (which I earned $5 for switching off my main load for two hours earlier this week!). Although I should note that I am not sure if the UPS doesn't function all of the time or only when the Powerwall is modifying its own AC generation in order to keep the solar panels from generating power (I noticed this when the Powerwall was already at 100% charge, but the sun was going down so the panels were only generating a tiny amount of energy).

I think it could be the latter, which I italicized; I just ran two more tests, and came up with a similar conclusion.

Test 1:
  1. Solar generating ~3kW. House using ~600W. Batteries at 100% full. Grid connected, taking 2,600W from solar excess. 60Hz (from grid, not being used).
  2. Turned off grid. Battery went to 63Hz. Solar went to 0W. Solar gave "Frequency too high" error, and went to sleep mode. Battery supplying house, ~400W. (What was that 200W that stopped being used when grid and solar went away?) Oven showed "PF" for informing of a recent power failure state, and our fish tank and microwave circuit's GFCI tripped; all my computers and networks stayed on and I had logging of Gateway throughout.
  3. I tried many things to try to get solar back on, but it did not come back on until grid reconnected and batteries synced Hz to grid, which then allowed solar to come back on.
Conclusions: Tesla Backup Gateway will not use solar when the batteries are full and grid is down, at least when home use is less than solar. Batteries will not gracefully ask for solar to come back on, at least while batteries are full.

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 5.34.43 PM.png

Test 2:
  1. Solar generating ~1,500W. House using ~7,900W. Batteries at 100% full, providing ~6,400W. Grid at 0W, 60Hz.
  2. Turned off grid. Battery went to 63Hz providing ~7,900W. Solar went to 0W. Oven was in use, and showed no "PF". All computers stayed on again.
  3. Turned grid back on. Batteries dropped from 63Hz to 60Hz steadily over 7 minutes, and just started to show 98% full soon after that (that is a lagging stat since I have to wait for every 5 minute MotherShip polls). During this time, the SolarEdge was sleeping. SolarEdge reconnected after wakeup. Solar was pretty matched to house use.
Conclusions: Tesla Backup Gateway will not use solar when the batteries are full and grid is down, regardless if home use is less than or greater than solar. Batteries will not gracefully ask for solar to come back on, at least while batteries are full.

Batteries might ask for solar to come back on when they are not full; I will try to test this more over this weekend. Expect some tests tomorrow! (Sun has stopped generating significant energy now.)

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 5.47.00 PM.png

Last edited:
I ran a test and it seemed that after some time when the powerwall had discharged some, the solar was reactivated and the UPS changed back to online. I think this was around 90% but I wasn't monitoring the SoC closely. I'm mainly using the UPS to provide a soft shutdown on my NAS, but of course it was a little unexpected that my UPS would run out of charge before the Powerwall was drained. I guess the cheapest solution is a much larger UPS, or I need to build in some sort of signaling mechanism to monitor the Powerwall so computers can shut down at an appropriate time.

Sorry I guess I used the wrong terminology when describing the signal as noisy, since I don't actually have the equipment to measure the actual noise. Just that the signal was out of spec enough to trigger the UPS.

I ran a test and it seemed that after some time when the powerwall had discharged some, the solar was reactivated and the UPS changed back to online. I think this was around 90% but I wasn't monitoring the SoC closely. I'm mainly using the UPS to provide a soft shutdown on my NAS, but of course it was a little unexpected that my UPS would run out of charge before the Powerwall was drained. I guess the cheapest solution is a much larger UPS, or I need to build in some sort of signaling mechanism to monitor the Powerwall so computers can shut down at an appropriate time.

Sorry I guess I used the wrong terminology when describing the signal as noisy, since I don't actually have the equipment to measure the actual noise. Just that the signal was out of spec enough to trigger the UPS.
I think it would be interesting to use an oscilloscope to look at the waveform of the power loss transition for the PowerWall 2 and compare it to a typical standby UPS. I would personally be inclined to remove the UPS since it has been shown that most computers can ride through the PowerWall transition during power loss.

Conclusions: Tesla Backup Gateway will not use solar when the batteries are full and grid is down, at least when home use is less than solar. Batteries will not gracefully ask for solar to come back on, at least while batteries are full.

...Conclusions: Tesla Backup Gateway will not use solar when the batteries are full and grid is down, regardless if home use is less than or greater than solar. Batteries will not gracefully ask for solar to come back on, at least while batteries are full.

Sonnen handles this case much better (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/sonn...cess-pv-when-grid-down-greg-smith?published=t) First of all, it keeps internal (disconnected) frequency closer to 60Hz. And secondly, if there is sufficient load from the house or the battery is stating to deplete once more, it will shift frequency below 60.5Hz again so that solar kicks in once again. Should be doable for Tesla to get this working as well with a firmware update but it does show that Tesla's solution isn't mature yet.

Reactions: Ulmo
I ran two more experiments yesterday. I don't remember what they were, but I recall them being somewhat incomplete, and more boring, but I do recall at least one question answered. Let's decipher what I did:

I do remember turning off the utility connection early in the morning, and not turning it on until the evening. No usage shutdowns were experienced anywhere.

Here's my first graph:

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 8.06.49 AM.png

This was the more boring one. Apparently, I used energy from batteries and sun. Since the batteries were between almost depleted and almost full, they were fully flexible, able to soak up the sunlight when excessive, and able to provide energy when sun couldn't provide everything, and the sun was fully utilized. Loads were less than sun+battery. Pretty simple test, pretty boring, and pretty well known outcome.

Here's my second test:

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 8.37.09 AM.png

Ok, I remember this one. I wasn't home 1PM-5PM, so couldn't do more interesting tests. This did by itself set up for a slightly less interesting test, more informative than the first one of the day. Notice what happens when the battery gets almost full. Notice the battery does not let itself get fully full. It turns off sun input completely. Considering home use was still 600W, that is unfortunate; to me, using 600W from the SolarEdge would be superior. But the reaction is binary. I'll zoom in to this time period:

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 8.40.55 AM.png

Ok, that zoom in looks sized well. So, let's see with frequency information:

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 8.42.14 AM.png

Looks like home frequency sort of follows battery, so I'll take that line out to make it less cluttered, as well as grid, since that was off the whole time:

I hadn't realized until now that I was recording Solar frequency as well; apparently, the home frequency covered it up:

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 8.44.43 AM.png

Let's declutter some more:

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 8.51.23 AM.png

Alright, that clearly shows that SolarEdge and Tesla do not talk to each other as corporations, AND the ramp-down is immediate and the ramp-up is not. Tesla's system clearly doesn't attempt to ramp down the solar inverter output in preparation for matching it to home use; I consider that a fail. Tesla's system also clearly attempts to ramp up solar output, and the solar system does not, because by then, the SolarEdge is in a sleep mode and ignoring everything. This is a total lack of corporate coordination and a lack of planning on the part of the battery to ramp down before it is at its full point. Tesla should ramp down solar output to near home input as the battery nears its full point, giving enough battery buffer to deal with the variations that will happen.

The rest of the evening, I attempted to run Test 3, which I forget what it was since it's morning and my brain isn't all the way at capacity yet. But I do recall what happened: I came home, put the clothes in the dryer, and the battery level never got to near full again. I'll try again today, if I remember what the test was going to be.

Edit: I noticed frequency coming into that zone is not 60Hz; I'll back up in time:

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 9.02.36 AM.png

Very interesting! Looks like the SolarEdge is trying to say something to the Tesla, and the Tesla is trying to say something to the SolarEdge, but they both speak different languages; notice how the SolarEdge has spikes increasing in frequency (every so many minutes), whereas the Tesla has a steady decline (from ~60.055Hz on the left to ~60.046Hz on the right). I should pan left (go back in time) some more:

Ok, here's back in time, and indeed raises more questions:

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 9.05.28 AM.png

They were dancing at some point during the early dryer events 12:00-13:10 or so; not sure if they managed to hook up. I'll try to zoom into that a bit.

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 9.09.36 AM.png

I need my coffee. That looks like a bunch of squiggles to me right now. Let me try harder.

Dryer heater element turns on and off to get to a thermostat temp. It starts off in the graph off. The frequency is near 60.04Hz. The dryer heater element then turns on, and frequency drops to 59.94Hz, rising slowly to almost 59.96Hz. I wonder if there's a relationship between use, state of charge, etc., and the frequency.

That's why I think playing in-band communication games (with frequency as the info carrier) doesn't carry enough information for a proper energy backup and management system, especially if there's more than two components as systems age. For instance, I want to add solar and batteries to my home; they might not all be the same brands.

I looked at SunSpec(?), and it seemed both incomplete and cluttered; they should work on reducing the clutter and making it complete for proper control systems. Well, what I'm really saying is we need control systems that are simple enough but have enough info and controls.

Of course, there's a whole industry of electronics controls; they don't need an entire factory team to install a simple home battery and solar with a possible multiple of brands and of each component. That needs to be worked out.​

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: arnolddeleon
Sonnen handles this case much better (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/sonn...cess-pv-when-grid-down-greg-smith?published=t) First of all, it keeps internal (disconnected) frequency closer to 60Hz. And secondly, if there is sufficient load from the house or the battery is stating to deplete once more, it will shift frequency below 60.5Hz again so that solar kicks in once again. Should be doable for Tesla to get this working as well with a firmware update but it does show that Tesla's solution isn't mature yet.

Actually from the data @Ulmo has posted, it seems that the Powerwall may be doing something much smarter than the Sonnen. Sonnen just trips the inverter by going to 60.9 Hz. Tesla is doing slow ramp to 60.5 Hz which is the UL 1741 spec to trigger conventional (all-on/all-off) inverters, then a ramp to max 63 Hz which would take advantage of power throttling. We know that the Gateway can measure the instantaneous solar power so that should be a closed-loop ramp of frequency, but people here will confirm that with power-throttling inverters soon (SolarEdge, SMA, or Schneider). We at least know the Powerwall can shift frequency by 3 Hz which captures the typical frequency-shift window which sits 1 Hz above nominal frequency. Not clear if Sonnen can shift above 0.9 Hz, and do it with a closed loop, which would be required for power control. To be fair, there should be an option now for you to tell the Powerwall you don't have a throttling inverter connected, so that it restricts its frequency shift to a minimum range necessary to turn off inverters. However we now have a new spec called UL 1741 SA required in California which builds in this power-throttling capability for the "smart grid." It seems Tesla is capable of meeting this new spec and maybe already does, while the specs posted by Sonnen indicate it cannot (there is also a technical comment to your posted article pointing this out).

• Informative
Reactions: techmaven and Ulmo
Actually from the data @Ulmo has posted, it seems that the Powerwall may be doing something much smarter than the Sonnen. Sonnen just trips the inverter by going to 60.9 Hz. Tesla is doing slow ramp to 60.5 Hz which is the UL 1741 spec to trigger conventional (all-on/all-off) inverters, then a ramp to max 63 Hz which would take advantage of power throttling. We know that the Gateway can measure the instantaneous solar power so that should be a closed-loop ramp of frequency, but people here will confirm that with power-throttling inverters soon (SolarEdge, SMA, or Schneider). We at least know the Powerwall can shift frequency by 3 Hz which captures the typical frequency-shift window which sits 1 Hz above nominal frequency. Not clear if Sonnen can shift above 0.9 Hz, and do it with a closed loop, which would be required for power control. To be fair, there should be an option now for you to tell the Powerwall you don't have a throttling inverter connected, so that it restricts its frequency shift to a minimum range necessary to turn off inverters. However we now have a new spec called UL 1741 SA required in California which builds in this power-throttling capability for the "smart grid." It seems Tesla is capable of meeting this new spec and maybe already does, while the specs posted by Sonnen indicate it cannot (there is also a technical comment to your posted article pointing this out).
Great information! I will look up UL 1741 SA, and lean on whomever is involved to get them complied, if it looks promising. Hopefully our Corporate Overlords don't try to tell me that California is an unpopulated backwater with no energy concerns, like I'm so used to hearing.

..... aaaaand, I'm back. That was short. The policy motivation of UL1741 is wrong. Safety and reliability should cooperate and work together, but UL1741 is merely a safety standard. That means that it is looking at function (in our case, reliability) as a secondary motivation. If you consider function as a secondary motivation, that's when you get dysfunctional things like today's litigious do-nothing failing society. No thank you! The policy directive is wrong to begin with. Here's the excerpt:

"UL1741 is a product safety standard and it is not written specifically for reliability, but it includes construction requirements and tests that can lead to more reliable products"
That's what happens when you let regulators, usually supporting the interests of outsiders (competition and/or foreign countries), get there first in a new field of innovation. Of course, we have that happening in energy, since it is a huge existent field. It takes a lot more than "compliance" to be innovative in energy; you have to be proactively engineering and designing safety at the same time. For this, you need humans that have full authority and mandate and intelligence and background to do both. This is total lack of leadership, again, in this area. That's why I say people like CEO Elon Musk are trying to do too much, and failing at everything, as a result, sort of limping along in all areas.

Edit: I just took a shower, and had time to think. It could be that a prior existent safety standard (UL1741 perhaps) is a "fall-back" situation for non-compatible systems, and that out-of-band communications with proper controls is the expected regime in the future (or blech, in-band, which I don't like because it has insufficient bandwidth), in which case, the Tesla backup systems are simply in fall-back mode without any proactive decent support for integration. In that case, we would be looking at UL1741, which states that it has half-baked reliability implementations, as a rather poor, improper and insufficient substitute for a coordinated effort of proper controlling. After I read UL1741 more, I will be more certain. But for now, I'm not assuming Tesla is looking at UL1741 as anything more than "Under Construction; Come Back Later" situation. Of course, that's what they said about Autopilot, and that's not here yet, however many years later (and they smartly have us arguing about what it's called in the meanwhile).

Does anybody have a PowerWall 2 system on a SolarCity inverter setup? With your permission, we could log that data (would require you/us putting a logger on your LAN). What inverters does Tesla use in its SolarCity installs?

p.s., maybe this will help:
IMG_8265.JPG
(and I don't mean the yellow thing)

Last edited:
I've said in the past that I think the future of garages by homes is that they are somewhat air conditioned heated and cooled spaces for electric vehicles. I continue to believe that.

Well, I now extend my opinion about air conditioned heated and cooled spaces for electric vehicles to battery systems. I believe I stated the same thing when @wk057 was building his home battery system, and in fact, he does have a reduced amount of air conditioning (heating and cooling) for his battery area, from what I understand, although not as robust as I originally thought would be normal for future garages that have EV's.

Obviously, this is something that you have to design into a new house, since you have to make the decision that it will never house an ICE vehicle, that it is going to have somewhat less ventilation, somewhat more insulation, and appropriately sized heat pumps, etc.

That way, you can appropriately protect your EV's and batteries from weather, and give them the appropriate battery temperature. This makes charging and using your batteries easier, since they are already at the correct temperature, and the attached devices (car, inverter, etc.) won't have to fight to use the batteries.

September is typical Indian Summer time in California, and this year is no exception. However, it's unusually intense.

Today was an uncharacteristic 108º in Aptos, California, and my PowerWall 2's, which are located outside, sounded like their fans were on high and they were struggling in the heat. The way I see it, the batteries are being exposed to exterior temperatures that are not ideal for them and their longevity; is that understanding correct? This would point the way toward planning as best as anyone can to place their PowerWalls inside air conditioned garage spaces and air conditioned utility closets. I know that many utilities are located outside, but these are relatively smaller compared to utility transformers and warehouse electric switching rooms.

---

I forgot what my next experiment was going to be, since I think I covered almost all of it above, and plus, I didn't want to starve the grid of any of my paltry system's electricity; I managed to export 3kWh in the end of the afternoon sun production cycle (probably barely enough to keep the fans running in one neighboring house).

The grid is having record electric use for the year this month, from what I can tell. Yesterday, CAISO peaked at 47GW at 6:50PM. I wasn't part of that, since I was 100% on battery. Today, similar. But, PG&E doesn't pay me for this battery. I believe businesses which are charged demand charges would be better suited to invest in battery systems than homeowners as of today, using today's utility cost systems.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: abasile
It seems Tesla is capable of meeting this new spec and maybe already does, while the specs posted by Sonnen indicate it cannot (there is also a technical comment to your posted article pointing this out).

To which posted spec by Sonnen are you referring here? I found one which referred to adjustable frequency +-0.7Hz but I suppose that's just user allowed adjustment since the linked post from their engineer clearly states they go up to 60.9Hz to trigger shut off. That same engineer also replied in the comments wrt signalling towards string inverters that they'd be cool with modbus as well which sounds to me they can give closed loop feedback here.