Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: Why So Big?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when you consider that instead of panels that occupy a percentage of a roof, they are now talking about the ENTIRE roof, so hopefully that means more energy created - therefore stored.
I love the way the configurator has two options for lights/fridge or everything :)

Some reference points for our OP:

* On a partial to mostly cloudy October 28th at 34ºN Latitude, our 11kW array produced today 34.7kWh.
* Mid-June, clear sky - it will create 75kWh
* Winter solstice, mostly cloudy: 7.7kWh. If clear: 42kWh

* On a clear mid-summer day at 63ºN Latitude, our 5kW array produces about 24kWh (going by memory here).

US household electricity consumption averages. How much electricity does an American home use? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
Between about 6000 kWh and 15000 kWh. Divide by 365 and you get between 16 and 41 kWh per day.

Considering that most customers would be in single family houses and higher income, they'd be above those averages.

14 kWh seems to me to be a pretty good estimate of a minimum that would provide one day's backup for minimum use for a small household also not a bad estimate for minimal load shifting.

V 1.0 was clearly too small and it was also clear from early on that there wasn't much separate demand for backup only versions...the Powerwall had to be capable of daily cycling.

This kind of sets the bar for what size solar array is worth installing.

While it isn't intended to take houses "off the grid" this sort of 14 kWh system with solar would provide for necessities indefinitely in power outages.

Reactions: electracity
Looks like to me that the main sources of powerwall demand are outside of the US. looks like powerwall 1.0 was being shipped to Australia and Germany first.

When looking at powerwall 2.0 I think you need to consider energy demand and pricing of non-US markets. Not just countries like Germany, but also expensive suburbs of countries like Mexico where people have money but intermittent power.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
I have a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 3,000 sqft home and it draws roughly 28kwh a day (less in the spring/fall and more in the winter/summer). I'd need 3 of them to power my home for a day if I needed a full backup day.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sodamo
I have a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 3,000 sqft home and it draws roughly 28kwh a day (less in the spring/fall and more in the winter/summer). I'd need 3 of them to power my home for a day if I needed a full backup day.
Of course, if you couple with solar, you'll be offsetting at least some portion of that.

For example: Cloudy/rainy late October day here in Northern California yesterday and I produced 12.83kWh from my 9.5kW array. My gross consumption, including EV charging, was 33.7kWh. I netted out just over 20kWh. In a pinch, I could skip a day of my pool pump (11.12kWh yesterday), or charging (a low 6.68kWh yesterday) and prioritize running the household. With two Powerwalls, I could go for a while, especially if the sun comes out.

You would not need three if you had solar.

With just one powerwall some electricity is far better than no electricity. Maybe leave the xbox off during the outage.