Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 3 Roadmap - 3 Phase Coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The warranty on the first PW1s sold would expire next year. I wonder what the warranty trigger was and how many hit it? PW1 is also long discontinued, it would be interesting to know what Tesla would do.

First PW2s will exit warranty in 2027.
I don’t think that many Powerwall 1’s would have been replaced due to capacity loss as it’s difficult to measure the existing capacity.

@Vostok I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla has a stash of refurbished PW2 hiding somewhere specifically for warranty cases. Especially since we're still well within the warranty period for all PW2 ever sold

I have just had 2 PW2's installed, I was not willing to wait for an AC coupled PW3 as I have an Enphase system and need the Micros due to extensive shading.
I just deal with the minor back-up consequences on my 3-phase home supply and blackouts are exceptionally rare where I am.

To the point though, both my Powerwalls were manufactured over 12 months ago (installer had them freshly delivered from the supplier), so there's probably a backlog of supply out there...

For warranty replacements I would expect either new/old stock or refurbished units, with higher chance of refurbished as time goes by.

Reactions: Jules22

A bit of a geek out video, complete with white board and pointer ;).

Key thing I learned from this is why they have the 20 kW solar limit with the 11.5 kW inverter. It can provide 11.5 kW AC while using 5 kW per PW3 to charge the batteries. Thus a set up with 20 kW solar and 2 PW3s could utilize all the solar at peak production for house, export and battery charge.

Assuming we can use the whole house backup solution in Australia, a single phase home should be able to save a lot of $$$.

There is a Gateway 3, but it's got less features, so you can still use the Gateway 2, if required.

It seems Tesla are releasing new components and software features over time, so fingers crossed for 3 phase in the future!

Reactions: Vostok
Interesting video… the speech-to-text auto generated subtitles could have been edited prior to uploading though 🤣

PW3 going back to string inverters is a bit of a retrograde step (or a big retrograde step, depending on your POV). While you can bypass that by just AC coupling it, a lot of installs these days have microinverters or optimisers so I’d expect not many people would climb onto their roof to have those removed and strings reconfigured in order to add a DC coupled PW3. You’d probably lose more from loss of microinverters/optimisers than you’d gain from DC coupling.

I suppose the issue is there’s no way PW3 could be made compatible with the wide range of microinverters or optimisers out there.

A bit of a geek out video, complete with white board and pointer ;).

Key thing I learned from this is why they have the 20 kW solar limit with the 11.5 kW inverter. It can provide 11.5 kW AC while using 5 kW per PW3 to charge the batteries. Thus a set up with 20 kW solar and 2 PW3s could utilize all the solar at peak production for house, export and battery charge.
That's a very good video and does clarify a lot of things in regards to my scenario I posted on the Page prior in that the maximum output to the grid\house\car\etc is 11.5Kw while the battery will take 5Kw directly from DC per battery unit.

A few things on my wish list would be
  1. 3 Phase
  2. The ability to prioritize the AC over DC charging output so that in can extend the DC charging into the 10-2pm timeshift where all grid operators will start to punish customers
There is one other thing that i still need to understand, which is how would Charge on Solar work if you had 2 Tesla Wall charger and 1 Pw3 (with expansion packs)

That's a very good video and does clarify a lot of things in regards to my scenario I posted on the Page prior in that the maximum output to the grid\house\car\etc is 11.5Kw while the battery will take 5Kw directly from DC per battery unit.

A few things on my wish list would be
  1. 3 Phase
  2. The ability to prioritize the AC over DC charging output so that in can extend the DC charging into the 10-2pm timeshift where all grid operators will start to punish customers
There is one other thing that i still need to understand, which is how would Charge on Solar work if you had 2 Tesla Wall charger and 1 Pw3 (with expansion packs)

I haven't been watching this thread at all, so there is no word of a three phase Powerwall still? Seems a completely weird omission. Australian is one of their bigger markets, 3 phase home power installs are extremely common nowadays.

I haven't been watching this thread at all, so there is no word of a three phase Powerwall still? Seems a completely weird omission. Australian is one of their bigger markets, 3 phase home power installs are extremely common nowadays.
TBH, there still no real confirmation on availability dates so perhaps by the time it is released (Hopefully it wont Elon up being more than 12 months) it may be included. Having 11.5 KW into single phase would be rejected here in Oz.