Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWall and "The Missing Piece..." Event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
old:
150422110439-tesla-home-battery-780x439.png

new:
10569922_572914859517150_527375486_n.jpg

8pm PT - looks like i will be waiting until tomorrow for the news here in the UK.

I thought they normally do things at 9am PT so the rest of the world can tune in.

However 8pm works for other regions such as Asia. 9am PT doesn't work well for them at all, and given that they're potentially a larger market... You know, the UK is no longer the center of the world :biggrin:

What I am not getting is that all the talk seems to be that the home size is 10-15kWh in size and should last during an outage. I looked at my bill and over the past 12 months I averaged about 1000 kWh per month. That is only a few minutes of power. How are my calculations wrong ?

What I am not getting is that all the talk seems to be that the home size is 10-15kWh in size and should last during an outage. I looked at my bill and over the past 12 months I averaged about 1000 kWh per month. That is only a few minutes of power. How are my calculations wrong ?

I think you're off by an order of magnitude 10 kWh / 1000 kWh per month is about 7 hours.

From looking at my PG&E smart meter data, I seem to average 600-700kWh per month, but looking at the days that I don't charge and don't have significant HVAC loads, it looks like about 10-15kWh, which means with a ~2-3kW solar array (~5.5 sun hours here), one of those packs could keep the basics going for a long time, assuming I charged my car elsewhere or just didn't drive much while they were getting the grid back up.

Thanks. My decimal point was off. So a 15kWh pack would last 20 hours. Outages around here are pretty slim but when they do happen it is WAY more than 20 hours. I guess if I really conserved during that time I could extend it substancially though.

Yes, but you are unlikely to have an outage AND a horribly cloudy day for like 3 days straight. This is assuming you went solar as well with the packs.

Some of you are talking about how long a battery pack could power a home during an outage, but they might be more for load balancing solar, in which case it would frequently be well below max charge. Even if it was only for battery backup during power outages, you probably wouldn't want to regularly keep it at 100%, so figure maybe 80 or 90% charge.

Also, solar could potentially help during a power outage, but I bet a lot of solar installations are set up in a way where if the grid is down, the solar is too.

In the grand scheme of things, I think load balancing solar is far more important than backup power.

However 8pm works for other regions such as Asia. 9am PT doesn't work well for them at all, and given that they're potentially a larger market... You know, the UK is no longer the center of the world :biggrin:

The only thing we are at the center of the world in is ignorance and perversion at the moment.

I wonder if then the time also helps the average American as they will have finished work. Perhaps Tesla is targeting the average person, as the price will be in the range of the average person whereas the model S is more a niche luxury market so time wise was not important.

Hopefully they will record the video and upload it straight away to the Tesla youtube channel.

I wonder if then the time also helps the average American as they will have finished work. Perhaps Tesla is targeting the average person, as the price will be in the range of the average person whereas the model S is more a niche luxury market so time wise was not important.

Maybe they want to turn off all the lights and then turn them on and show how the batteries are powering the entire event. That wouldn't be very impressive during the day but at night, it would definitely get the point across.

Some of you are talking about how long a battery pack could power a home during an outage, but they might be more for load balancing solar, in which case it would frequently be well below max charge. Even if it was only for battery backup during power outages, you probably wouldn't want to regularly keep it at 100%, so figure maybe 80 or 90% charge.

Also, solar could potentially help during a power outage, but I bet a lot of solar installations are set up in a way where if the grid is down, the solar is too.

In the grand scheme of things, I think load balancing solar is far more important than backup power.
I'd go a step further and suggest balancing the *grid* would be useful. If they were able to allow power back out onto the grid, at scale, brownouts would be reduced during peak load periods and generating capacity wouldn't have to be constructed, or kept spooled up, to meet peak loads. The amount of carbon spewed out to keep generating plants running for peaks is significant.

*cough* maybe. Let's give it another go.

1000 kWh/720 h = 1.388 kW
10 kWh/1.388 kW = 7.205 h

Thanks for catching it.

I average 300 kWh a month so that means I'd get about 24 hours backup power. In the past 20 years, I can't remember the power being out for more than 3 or 4 hours so 24 works for me! Of course if the power goes out for several hours, I'd probably go around unplugging all non-essential appliances and devices and probably make it last 48 hours or more.

lot of focus on backup power here, which may be a regular issue for some, but I suspect only a rare issue for many.

Home battery has potentially much more interesting aspects.

Users get to charge at cheap overntight rates and run on battery during expensive perak/day rates.

But far more significantly than that is peak energy management. DAy to night obviously but also short term demand. Consider during the break in a major sports event TV fans all head off to make a coffee or whatever = big surge in power demand.
Utility companies have to keep power stations online to manage this demand = $$$$

Just switching off (or even removing the requirement entirely for) a single power station (and reduce the requirement for spare capacity to be run up at short notice) is a colossal saving to the country and the utility companies.
This is why states and utilities are interested in supporting early adopters of this technology.
Hard finanacials ... it can save them a LOT of money.
It also tick the environmental box big time.

Maybe instead of thinking it's for personal use, we should see it as many small facilities (homes with battery storage) storing energy for the grid.

All this talk of needing storage capacity for renewables and sorting out the peak/off peak demand problem could be met by the homeowners/consumers.

I think this will be the big thing about the reveal. Its about the GRID.:smile: