Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWall and "The Missing Piece..." Event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they're recycling used batteries (make sense from a 'green' perspective) what's the source of those batteries? There isn't currently a supply of worn out Model Ss.

Hows this for a guess:
1. Roadster Battery Packs. As Bonnie discovered, the Roadster 3.0 pack is ready soon. Everyone who upgrades returns their old pack.
2. CPO Battery Packs. Every CPO car gets a NEW pack (along with that 50K mile warranty) and the originals, no matter how lightly used, become feed stock for storage.

I just got off the phone with my DS in Europe and while he understands my hesitancy in pressing the "Confirm Order" button until after the 30th Event, he insists that I will not need to change my order because of it. I think I'll wait and see...
You are in a race against the pending price increase in the EU to counterbalance the foreign exchange swing. In your shoes, I'd lock in the price ASAP.

On the face of it the most likely "missing piece" is home energy storage, regardless of where the batteries come from BUT we've been surprised by Elon before and there's a few questions that don't quite fit with the home battery concept:

1. If they're recycling used batteries (make sense from a 'green' perspective) what's the source of those batteries? There isn't currently a supply of worn out Model Ss.
  2. If new batteries what's the source? Limited supply was the rationale for the gigafactory; and if the batteries should come from the gigafactory, why make the announcement so far in advance?
  3. Home battery energy storage makes little sense under the Tesla brand as Tesla is a vehicle company....It makes much more sense under the Solar City brand. Why brand this announcement "Tesla"?

Have to agree with this. Commercially, you would think that a better arrangement would be for Solar City to buy batteries from the Gigafactory than for Tesla to use their own batteries.

The image in Elon's teaser tweet yesterday looks more like a HPWC than part of a battery storage system. Maybe the missing piece is the "snake" charger that automatically connects to the charge port... :)

On the face of it the most likely "missing piece" is home energy storage, regardless of where the batteries come from BUT we've been surprised by Elon before and there's a few questions that don't quite fit with the home battery concept:

1. If they're recycling used batteries (make sense from a 'green' perspective) what's the source of those batteries? There isn't currently a supply of worn out Model Ss.
  2. If new batteries what's the source? Limited supply was the rationale for the gigafactory; and if the batteries should come from the gigafactory, why make the announcement so far in advance?
  3. Home battery energy storage makes little sense under the Tesla brand as Tesla is a vehicle company....It makes much more sense under the Solar City brand. Why brand this announcement "Tesla"?

Tesla is building the gigafactory. They've always said that 1/3 the batteries would go towards storage systems. This strengthens the company by allowing versatility and the ability to adjust products as necessary. The gigafactory will need a ramp up just like the cars did. I don't expect batteries and Model 3's to coordinate immediately. There will need to be a ramp up of that as well. From a business point of view this makes a lot of sense. They announce the storage systems to better develop that market similar to showing an alpha prototype and let people put in their reservations. The product reservations give Tesla a good idea of what they need to do. It might also bring in some major investors if the demand is high enough. I believe that Tesla still needs a couple billion more since Panasonic seems to be dragging their feet. Showing huge battery demand just might sway Panasonic to put more money into the pot.

so here are my predictions:

1) Elon will wear a crushed velvet jacket
2) he will show off the new products, battery storage devices, a home version (the shiny white) and enormous commercial versions. (hopefully not pulled out by a giant robot)
3) He will explain the benefits in the most hyperbolic terms.
4) He will make at least one outlandish claim that is either not true, not true yet, not true for most people, or only true if it is translated a bit, forcing us to defend him for months.

so here are my predictions:

1) Elon will wear a crushed velvet jacket
2) he will show off the new products, battery storage devices, a home version (the shiny white) and enormous commercial versions. (hopefully not pulled out by a giant robot)
3) He will explain the benefits in the most hyperbolic terms.
4) He will make at least one outlandish claim that is either not true, not true yet, not true for most people, or only true if it is translated a bit, forcing us to defend him for months.
I think all but one prediction is correct. He's going to save the crushed velvet jacket for the shareholder meeting, instead.:biggrin:

There's probably more: "This [battery for off-peak charging] is quite a profound thing, and that isn't even describing the interestingness of the announcement that will be on Thursday" (Kimbal Musk on CNN Money).

I also remember @elonmusk selling today's event to @deadmau5 but I can't find the tweet. I don't get why Elon would promote the new product to a DJ worth over 10M$ if it's just a battery that helps you save on your utility bill and care about the environment (deadmau loves burning dinosaur juice for a coffee run).

EDIT: unless deadmau5 will mix tonight...

Last edited:
Since we're making predictions I thought I'd make up a nice Elon Musk Bingo card :biggrin:
Have fun!
Tesla Bingo Card.png

Last edited: