Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF is no joke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I DIY’d full frontal PPF on my Y. It doesn’t look perfect but does the job, and only cost 1/3 the price of having it professionally done.
I never PPF’d my S, and it’s not too bad after 4 years. If I had to do it again, I would DIY front PPF. Professional full car PPF is just too expensive.
How hard is it for DIY? Almost all the detailers are saying it's going to be a disaster, as you can imagine :) I have read @zoomer0056 's post. It sounds a lot of preparation and practice, but doable.

Reactions: canasion35
I think a partial frontal PPF on the lights and bumper cover (Fascia) makes sense because that's where most of the damage and bug splatter is likely to occur, and repainting requires fascia removal which is a pain on the Refresh.

Xpel 10 on the wife's MB560 saved a cracked headlight that is 2600 for the part alone.

Thinking that the $700 I spent will be worth it just for reduced bug cleaning and ocd over rock abrasion.

Most decidedly no ... I did the PPF for looks and to manage my OCD over rock dings ... but in no way is it worth it unless you're driving it for 5+ years ... then again, new cars aren't worth it either, pretty much no matter how you slice it.
Slice that new car price over 25+ years. Worked for me, and the car ('95 Integra) still works too.

Sadly, although I had dreams of keeping my MS for 15+ years, Tesla service seems intent on making that goal a nightmare.

How hard is it for DIY? Almost all the detailers are saying it's going to be a disaster, as you can imagine :) I have read @zoomer0056 's post. It sounds a lot of preparation and practice, but doable.
If you like learning news things, skills, new tools and working with your hands this can be an excellent challenge. You'd get bragging rights plus a protected car. You can go simple and work just high impact areas or you can do the whole car. Start slow on simple pieces to get a feel for the material, tools and process. I like it!!!

If you like learning news things, skills, new tools and working with your hands this can be an excellent challenge. You'd get bragging rights plus a protected car. You can go simple and work just high impact areas or you can do the whole car. Start slow on simple pieces to get a feel for the material, tools and process. I like it!!!
Great points. I will probably start from the fenders which look not too complicated in shape. I saw you did number plate first. It could be great too. I will get a small piece of film from ebay and give it a try.

I think a partial frontal PPF on the lights and bumper cover (Fascia) makes sense because that's where most of the damage and bug splatter is likely to occur, and repainting requires fascia removal which is a pain on the Refresh.

Xpel 10 on the wife's MB560 saved a cracked headlight that is 2600 for the part alone.

Thinking that the $700 I spent will be worth it just for reduced bug cleaning and ocd over rock abrasion.
Agreed that frontal PPF probably offers the best bang for the buck. I would add mirror caps to the list. They take a real beating as well.

The rear bumper might also be worthwhile if you live in or commute to the city and parallel park the car a lot. At that point though, some people may just say "aw hell, just do the whole car."

Reactions: zoomer0056
I have had mixed feelings about PPF. At first I was 100% behind it in all instances. Sure, it can cost, but to keep costs down just do the bumper, hood, and rear quarters. At least that is what I would do up here, in Colorado we get a lot of road-rocks.

That said, we had my wife's car wrapped, she wanted it purple, so we dropped the $4k (if I recall correctly) to have her MYLR wrapped. The car is white, and the wrap is a dark flat purple that kind-a shimmers to black, very sweet looking, but very dark. Being dark has become an issue because there are a ton, I mean probably hundreds of holes/divots in her bumper wrap. We were contemplating putting a sticker of Tinker Bell on her bumper, like she hit her because the white looks like pixie dust...

The front bumper is the hardest by far, as there are a lot of complex shapes that require shaping the PPF. The trunk is also fairly difficult. For those, as I was doing it, I really wanted to have a pro do it.

However, things like hood, doors, rocker panels, pillars are quite easy. The fenders are about medium difficulty, with rear bumper a bit above that.

I have had mixed feelings about PPF. At first I was 100% behind it in all instances. Sure, it can cost, but to keep costs down just do the bumper, hood, and rear quarters. At least that is what I would do up here, in Colorado we get a lot of road-rocks.

That said, we had my wife's car wrapped, she wanted it purple, so we dropped the $4k (if I recall correctly) to have her MYLR wrapped. The car is white, and the wrap is a dark flat purple that kind-a shimmers to black, very sweet looking, but very dark. Being dark has become an issue because there are a ton, I mean probably hundreds of holes/divots in her bumper wrap. We were contemplating putting a sticker of Tinker Bell on her bumper, like she hit her because the white looks like pixie dust...
I would note that wraps are not the same as PPF. They are much thinner, do not provide the same protection and don't have any self healing properties. However, I have seen mentioned there are some vendors coming out with colored PPF that might be able to serve dual purposes.

The front bumper is the hardest by far, as there are a lot of complex shapes that require shaping the PPF. The trunk is also fairly difficult. For those, as I was doing it, I really wanted to have a pro do it.
Also the front bumper is two precut pieces. One for the splitter and one for the rest. Because of that there is a butt joint on either side of the splitter. For the rear it is common to buy a two piece precut for the upper hatch. Instead I went with bulk because I wanted the challenge of stretching around the hatch contour (Feb 2022 MSLR). Definitely DIY possible if you take your time.

Don't forget about the flared wheel wells in front of the rear tires. One year on my PPF shows most damage there on my Feb 2022 MSLR. As I write it seems the car runs over things more than running into things. Just run of the mill city/hwy driving in sunny SoCal.

throw a set of those $40 front mudflaps on there too, that will cut down on a ton of debris coming up. If you drive in the low setting, it does take a little while for the flaps to wear down and they will rub over small bumps etc. Not a big deal, just know it's normal at first. Or you can trim them a little bit.

throw a set of those $40 front mudflaps on there too, that will cut down on a ton of debris coming up. If you drive in the low setting, it does take a little while for the flaps to wear down and they will rub over small bumps etc. Not a big deal, just know it's normal at first. Or you can trim them a little bit.

Just beware... mud flaps can also catch and *hold* debris (and salt) against the car. There are multiple sources that show this. Here's one:

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056