Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF is no joke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It had a bunch of "texture" in the areas that take the most highway abuse and an area that needed replaced ... with the way the market is I wanted to maximize my trade-in however possible :oops:
The PPF was already messed up on a 2021? o_O

I think a lot of people like the idea of PPF, but the cost is just unpalatable on a non-collectible car with a relatively cheap paint job to begin with. A respray - even a partial one - can be a lot less than PPF and may only be needed if the car leads a rough life.

Not to say there aren't other benefits such as changing the look of a car or ease in washing (no need to worry about scratches) but a full car PPF application is still a lot of money.

it essentially feels like a $5k piece of tape
Maybe .... but look at the possibilities. Use of invisible scotch tape for the matte look. To be really creative there's colored packing tape and even tape with designs like pink flowers. For tough protection in the areas of greatest risk there's the gorilla tape option. However, I believe it may cost more than $5k because it would require a LOT of rolls. Then there is the time. It would have to be DIY, no professional would take this on.

Real PPF does the job. Xpel Ultimate is supposed to last 10 years. It's been on my Feb 2022 MSLR for a year now. It is doing the job as a sacrificial layer. Most hits are just in front of rear wheels. Some hits on hood and a couple on the front bumper. It is less expensive to get these covered instead of the whole car. I did my whole car myself: DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S

Last edited:
Maybe .... but look at the possibilities. Use of invisible scotch tape for the matte look. To be really creative there's colored packing tape and even tape with designs like pink flowers. For tough protection in the areas of greatest risk there's the gorilla tape option. However, I believe it may cost more than $5k because it would require a LOT of rolls. Then there is the time. It would have to be DIY, no professional would take this on.

Real PPF does the job. Xpel Ultimate is supposed to last 10 years. It's been on my Feb 2022 MSLR for a year now. It is doing the job as a sacrificial layer. Most hits are just in front of rear wheels. Some hits on hood and a couple on the front bumper. It is less expensive to get these covered instead of the whole car. I did my whole car myself: DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S
🤣 That would be a lot of tape, for sure. I'm not confident the durability will be the same as PPF though. lol.

It is a bit surprising that you only OP only had the PPF on the vehicle for such a short time though.

🤣 That would be a lot of tape, for sure. I'm not confident the durability will be the same as PPF though. lol.

It is a bit surprising that you only OP only had the PPF on the vehicle for such a short time though.
You could get significant damage the first mile. But it sounds like OP had one place like this and then unsightly in high wear area. Yeah, unless your doing dirt roads no need to pull it off, let PPF continue to serve. OP ... d'ya live where dirt roads are?

It was enough to show up in a pic for trade-in so yanked it off, not worth the hit they'll give me if they see what they might think is damage. Looks brand new with the PPF taken off.

Normally would have just left it on but no telling what my trade-in value is going to be ... yikes!

Reactions: zoomer0056
It had a bunch of "texture" in the areas that take the most highway abuse and an area that needed replaced ... with the way the market is I wanted to maximize my trade-in however possible :oops:
Did you try to claim it under warranty? I've had PPF that yellowed and was replaced under warranty for example. Well, nvm I guess its too late now but next time...

Great idea! I have USAA, not sure if they cover PPF but worth a look :D
It's warrantied by the PPF brand, they usually come with 5 to 10 years.

Story, way back a cube truck ran into the wifes Tribeca and it was repaired obviously. But the car had PPF and the insurer was going to pay for it. I went back to my installer to get it going and he mentioned that its under warranty and the part of PPF that went bad he applied for warranty for me w/o asking.

An important thing to look at is the cost analysis. Did you gain >$5k in trade-in value by having the PPF on?
Most decidedly no ... I did the PPF for looks and to manage my OCD over rock dings ... but in no way is it worth it unless you're driving it for 5+ years ... then again, new cars aren't worth it either, pretty much no matter how you slice it.

Most decidedly no ... I did the PPF for looks and to manage my OCD over rock dings ... but in no way is it worth it unless you're driving it for 5+ years ... then again, new cars aren't worth it either, pretty much no matter how you slice it.
I DIY’d full frontal PPF on my Y. It doesn’t look perfect but does the job, and only cost 1/3 the price of having it professionally done.
I never PPF’d my S, and it’s not too bad after 4 years. If I had to do it again, I would DIY front PPF. Professional full car PPF is just too expensive.