Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF on the front windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are solutions out there and had been discussed here and elsewhere (other Tesla fora, other automotive fora) before.

Thus far all sacrificial and subject to quick marring, scratching from wiper use, etc.

Works well on show and demo cars, some rarely used exotics.

Not ideal for weekend warrior or daily beater duties.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
There are solutions out there and had been discussed here and elsewhere (other Tesla fora, other automotive fora) before.

Thus far all sacrificial and subject to quick marring, scratching from wiper use, etc.

Yea and replacing the film every few months will probably get tiring and just as if not more expensive than replacing the glass.

There's a vendor that has posted on TMC, Targe?, that sells a protective film for the windshield, but I think they need replacing once a year, so it's expensive.

As for using PPF, I did think about it, if I bought a 6 foot sheet, used 5' to cover my hood, and used the leftover 12" or so, to cover the lower part of the windshield. The lower part of windshield the more potential hits, and I don't look thru the lower part of the windshield, so it wouldn't affect outward visibility. Of course, I didn't do it, just considered it as an option.

This is what I've heard as well. Saw some guys on the Porsche forums bitching about it - nobody thought it was worth it.

Reactions: Perscitus
In Asia, there are a number of windshield protection films available, pretty much the same as a large size cell phone screen protector.
Quite a few Model 3 owners in Hong Kong have put the film and I have seen it in person.

Facts:
- It takes 8hours for the shop to apply the film
- the edge is visible as it is not pre-cut by machine
- it is pricy. Our insurance will replace the windshield at half the price of the film (insurance deductible $250 per yr. vs. Film $500), so why bother
- yes, the windshield wipers will scratch the film and it doesn't look good after 2-3years.
- I'd wait if there is an option to choose double pane windshield when it is cracked.

Reactions: Perscitus
In Asia, there are a number of windshield protection films available, pretty much the same as a large size cell phone screen protector.
Quite a few Model 3 owners in Hong Kong have put the film and I have seen it in person.

Facts:
- It takes 8hours for the shop to apply the film
- the edge is visible as it is not pre-cut by machine
- it is pricy. Our insurance will replace the windshield at half the price of the film (insurance deductible $250 per yr. vs. Film $500), so why bother
- yes, the windshield wipers will scratch the film and it doesn't look good after 2-3years.
- I'd wait if there is an option to choose double pane windshield when it is cracked.
Every windshield is already double-pane, as far as I know.

There is an acoustic spec flavor of the windshield out there already or soon to join the parts list.

The original wishield is just plain jane vanilla laminated with no special acoustic film sandwiched in between.
Are you sure?
IMG_5801.jpeg

That's the marking on my Model 3. According to the glass manufacturer, Saint-Gobain, their >PVB< laminated glass is their "acoustic" version.

Man and Porsche owners will spend money on anything. I mean $1000 for leather on the steering wheel column. Another $500 for different colored stitching.

You realize this is a Tesla forum where a large portion of owners spends gobs of money on ppf their entire car, ceramic coatings, wraps, and several thousand on wheels. Tesla owners are up there for spending stupid money on mods. I guess that what happens when you can’t modify a Tesla to make it faster. Spend money on other things.

Replacing a Y windshield is about $1400 and this film installed is less than $1000.
Weird that a 3 and a Y are that different. Tesla replaced my Model 3 windshield 2 months ago for $812.

ClearPlex is a windshield specific protective film made by Madico. Our wrap shop offers it on all Tesla models.
People are not fans:

just carry better Glass coverage through your Insurance. I have a $0 deductible glass coverage.
Not all states or carriers have the ability to have independent glass deductibles

Chiming in here on a resurrected thread - I got a windshield film after my first windshield cracked. Stek or something (can’t remember off the top of my head). They give a slight haziness or warping effect that will throw off even the best eyes. Also, not even a week after install, a rock barreled through cracking both the film and windshield.

Don’t waste your money.

Reactions: chobra and CyberGus
Chiming in here on a resurrected thread - I got a windshield film after my first windshield cracked. Stek or something (can’t remember off the top of my head). They give a slight haziness or warping effect that will throw off even the best eyes. Also, not even a week after install, a rock barreled through cracking both the film and windshield.

Don’t waste your money.

The idea of exterior windshield film baffles me, since it will always impact visibility, and anything powerful enough to break glass will breeze through your 0.0008 inch polymer layer. The best thing you can do is keep the windscreen clean and polished, so that the low friction will minimize the energy absorbed from off-angle impacts.

Using a UV film on the inside of the windshield is another matter. I intend to make this upgrade to my mobile stainless-steel cyber-greenhouse when it arrives. Next year. Probably. lol