Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF or no PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not once have I regretted doing PPF. You don't have to do what I did and do the entire car, but unless you car sits in the garage all the time, you will get stone chips. As you know, Tesla's paint is infamously soft and well, it doesn't take much to damage. I assume you are asking about PPF because you care about the looks of your car. I did do a video on PPF and what/why and another video on how it is holding up after 28,000 miles.

Didn’t do my S and it held up fine for the time I had it (18 months). Got full PPF on my first 3 and I did regret it, had ugly lines in some places since they didn’t remove headlights/taillights and such before putting it on. My second 3 only has PPF on the lower points along the sides.

Been contemplating putting full PPF on the new S when it arrives but using a better company that would remove everything so there are no edges. But the problem there is that Tesla would most likely give me grief about that if something breaks down the line.

Have you considered using a ceramic coating instead (eg: Opti-Coat, etc....)? Not nearly as protective as film but will certainly help with some improved protection, less dirt/debris collection and improve the look of the car. I fully wrapped my first 2 Model S vehicles. I just received my new one (third vehicle) a couple weeks ago and decided to not go with PPF this time and just do the top level opti-coat instead. It looks amazing but only time will tell about the protection. Might not be as big an issues for me since I'm just leasing for 3 years. Also, I agree with the above poster who mentioned the dirt that collects in the PPF seams. It gets pretty noticeable......especially on white vehicles.

Reactions: MrAwd7
Wrapped it with PPF Matte (on 19" winters for now). First time driving a Tesla and heard the paint is bad quality. (14,000kms on my truck now not even a chip after RV'ing). Goign to keep this car so wrap made sense.. But it was really expensive (Wrap/Tint/Ceramic coat).
1643927870114.png

Wrapped it with PPF Matte (on 19" winters for now). First time driving a Tesla and heard the paint is bad quality. (14,000kms on my truck now not even a chip after RV'ing). Goign to keep this car so wrap made sense.. But it was really expensive (Wrap/Tint/Ceramic coat).
View attachment 764528
Wow, didn't think I'd like the look of matte PPF but that is GORGEOUS.

Reactions: doubleshot
Wow, didn't think I'd like the look of matte PPF but that is GORGEOUS.
It's definitely less noticable on a white exterior. Night and day on a darker exterior.

Given that I had one trip and already had a small blemish. I'm super happy with the decision. Though costly. It's something that can change the whole look of the car and make you look a bit different than the rest of the Tesla crowd.

Also the protection. I already had a big chip outta the PPF and I only have 1300 miles. Little heat. Gone. It's worth it if you're like me and hate swirls and chips.

Attachments

• PXL_20220204_002419693.jpg
    PXL_20220204_002419693.jpg
    703.9 KB · Views: 374
  • PXL_20220202_031611285.jpg
    PXL_20220202_031611285.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 348
  • PXL_20220128_214442967~2.jpg
    PXL_20220128_214442967~2.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 378
There are a lot of rocks on the road here in WA State so I’m getting Full Front PPF. I’m planning on keeping my car for a very long time so hopefully these clear bra is a better than before because it turned yellow on my last car.

Thank you for all the inputs. Full PPF would set me back $6k. I am planning to keep the car a long time and we do drive from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin at least once a year. We also are snowbirds so we drive back and forth from Pennsylvania to Florida a few times a year.
Full PPF isn’t worth it unless you want to do Stealth. Otherwise, just get the impact areas done

Full car for $3.4K. Overall good job but this has been bothering me. You think it’s worth getting fixed? He can only refund me $400 but I can pay extra to have another shop do it.

Haven’t had the car long enough to enjoy benefit of PPF yet but sure do see the down sides.
Yes I would pay to get it fixed, those sort of lines are one of the main reasons I was hesitant and did not get it on my previous vehicle.

After having my installer do the rockers on my last car and seeing that he did not use precut film but did it custom, tucking it around all corners and panel ends, I decided I was good with it for the entire car.

His price is a LOT more than you paid though so I think that's the trade off. Lower cost but may get lines like that.

I think you'll find the responses are all over the gamut.
when my neighbor had a guy who would do the whole car for $3,500 I was in. When he said the guy won't return his calls, I was out (otherwise about $7k).
Can I afford the $7k? Yes.
Will I pay it? No - same reason I got an S or MS or LR or whatever it's called, versus the Plaid.
Yes, I regret bits of not getting the Plaid, but I feel the LR is more than good enough for me.
Similarly, yah, I think PPF is "the cadiallc" (well, back when cadillac was really good" of coverings - I think there is no better protection for your paint.
however:
1) I saw someone had damage to their door, and had to pay more to get PPF reapplied (not saying that's unfair, just saying...that.
2) supposedly PPF can be removed with no damage. I think that's probably true...but what if it damages the underlying stuff?
3) I went ceramic. I figure it is a little stronger (they claim a lot stronger) than just wax, or even the clear coat. I will say after some rain, it seems to bead exactly like wax. I don't see any difference between ceramic and wax, but maybe it's there and i just can't see it.
4) though people malign the tesla paint, clear coat, and for that matter lights, I have seen some videos, etc. that say the tesla paint and clear coat is pretty much the same quality as most other manufacturers', i.e. it's not supposedly inferior. Yeah, I'm sure some cars could have underspray, but I dont' think that's the norm.
5) I plan to keep the car 3 years. If there are some paint chips, so be it. I already rashed both rear rims (and yeah, it bothered me, but not enough to have them redone - I have like 2 years and 350 or so days to go - i'm going to have a lot more going on - dents, nicks, parking lots, etc.)
6) I've owned and sold or returned leases on many cars without PPF (i don't think it even existed until a few years ago). I don't remember any of them looking like swiss cheese on the paint. Sure, some rock chips. and touch up paint did a 95% job.
At the end of the day, my personal opinion is PPF is like an extended warranty or insurance - it can give peace of mind. If $7k on a $100k or more car is worth it to you - then go for it. To me, I decided I'd rather pocket the $6,725 difference between PPF and the $275 clear coat I had put on (if i did my math right).
I think a car with PPF will look better than mine after 3 years (unless the PPF gets damaged, and you may still be able to fix it with a hair dryer). However, on the resale, I'd be surprised if you get $500 more. If the choice was "your car with PPF" or mine without, and they were the same colors, same miles, etc. sure, if I was the buyer i'd go for the PPF (for the same price, sure!) but otherwise not sure i'd pay a premium.
just my .02

when my neighbor had a guy who would do the whole car for $3,500 I was in. When he said the guy won't return his calls, I was out (otherwise about $7k).
Will I pay it? No - same reason I got an S or MS or LR or whatever it's called, versus the Plaid.
Yes, I regret bits of not getting the Plaid, but I feel the LR is more than good enough for me.
Similarly, yah, I think PPF is "the cadiallc" (well, back when cadillac was really good" of coverings - I think there is no better protection for your paint.
however:
1) I saw someone had damage to their door, and had to pay more to get PPF reapplied (not saying that's unfair, just saying...that.
2) supposedly PPF can be removed with no damage. I think that's probably true...but what if it damages the underlying stuff?
3) I went ceramic. I figure it is a little stronger (they claim a lot stronger) than just wax, or even the clear coat. I will say after some rain, it seems to bead exactly like wax. I don't see any difference between ceramic and wax, but maybe it's there and i just can't see it.
4) though people malign the tesla paint, clear coat, and for that matter lights, I have seen some videos, etc. that say the tesla paint and clear coat is pretty much the same quality as most other manufacturers', i.e. it's not supposedly inferior. Yeah, I'm sure some cars could have underspray, but I dont' think that's the norm.
5) I plan to keep the car 3 years. If there are some paint chips, so be it. I already rashed both rear rims (and yeah, it bothered me, but not enough to have them redone - I have like 2 years and 350 or so days to go - i'm going to have a lot more going on - dents, nicks, parking lots, etc.)
6) I've owned and sold or returned leases on many cars without PPF (i don't think it even existed until a few years ago). I don't remember any of them looking like swiss cheese on the paint. Sure, some rock chips. and touch up paint did a 95% job.
At the end of the day, my personal opinion is PPF is like an extended warranty or insurance - it can give peace of mind. If $7k on a $100k or more car is worth it to you - then go for it. To me, I decided I'd rather pocket the $6,725 difference between PPF and the $275 clear coat I had put on (if i did my math right).
I think a car with PPF will look better than mine after 3 years (unless the PPF gets damaged, and you may still be able to fix it with a hair dryer). However, on the resale, I'd be surprised if you get $500 more. If the choice was "your car with PPF" or mine without, and they were the same colors, same miles, etc. sure, if I was the buyer i'd go for the PPF (for the same price, sure!) but otherwise not sure i'd pay a premium.
just my .02
Valid points, given how long you keep your cars, and OCD levels. I have had some flavor of ppf since 2006, starting with semi front hood, to all front, headlights, a pillars and door sills, edges. All of my cars have also been black, held onto for 10 years on avg, approaching 200k miles each.

Never regretted having it on the cars!

Will be looking at full ppf on the sometime soon to be EDD MS. Obviously, now a much higher price point for full ppf. My last installer on the past 3 cars was a great guy up in PA, 2+ hour ride from me. Very meticulous workmanship. Looking to price/call around other installers in central NJ.

Any central NJ/Philly area recommendations?

Hey guys

If you just want to do the impact areas PPF, you can check out my products here (I am the vendor, I designed them, I manufacture them and I ship them). I work with XPEL both Ultimate Plus (8mil) and Ultimate Plus 10 (10 mil):

Fenders + Rockers PPF

Partial Hood PPF

Door Sills PPF

Door Handles Guard PPF

Headlights PPF

All of these are for the new (2021/2022) Model S 👍

however:
just my .02
Im with you. Sold my 2017 90D with no PPF and got way more than market value last summer. Buyer didnt ask nor care about PPF. When I took it to Carmax (prior to the higher dollar private party sale I ended up doing), Carmax gave me top condition in their report. Any minor stone chips on the front bumper/hood were noted as "normal wear and tear".

PPF not even close to worth thousands of dollars for ME. I put that PPF money in my VTSAX. Not judging others' spend practices

Reactions: planetary
Re myths vs facts on Tesla paint compared to others..
This whole video addresses thickness and nothing about hardness. Tesla's paint issues are due to where the cars are painted, California. In California we have SCM (Suggetsed Control Measures) for automotive coatings that don't allow Tesla to use hardeners that all other auto manufacturers use.

Tesla paint is soft, period.

If you are ok with a lot of paint chips on your car, don't PPF. If you want you car to look nice two years after you buy it, I suggest you do.

My 2020 Model S with 26k miles on it looked worse than my 2013 Model S (painted prior to California's regulations) with 100k mikes.

I am 100% sending my 2022 MS straight to PPF.

I couldn't see paying for anything more than front fascia, hood and front fenders. Gravel usually comes flinging up from cars' tires ahead, and it usually hits those areas and windshield. The PPF definitely keeps paint chipping down from gravel strikes, so there's little reason to put it on any side or rear facing surface, which saves about 2/3 of the price. I've got a bunch of chips in my window, but so far the paint has very little damage. I can also see where there are strikes on the PPF near the front of my hood, but there's no paint damage.

Doing just the front is not as expensive and does the major part of protecting the car's paint. My first car we also used PPF just in front of the rear wheel wells, but since then it's only on the front facing areas.

I couldn't see paying for anything more than front fascia, hood and front fenders. Gravel usually comes flinging up from cars' tires ahead, and it usually hits those areas and windshield. The PPF definitely keeps paint chipping down from gravel strikes, so there's little reason to put it on any side or rear facing surface, which saves about 2/3 of the price. I've got a bunch of chips in my window, but so far the paint has very little damage. I can also see where there are strikes on the PPF near the front of my hood, but there's no paint damage.

Doing just the front is not as expensive and does the major part of protecting the car's paint. My first car we also used PPF just in front of the rear wheel wells, but since then it's only on the front facing areas.
Not true. The hardest hit area on my 2020 was the front if the rear wheel wells. They literally looked like they had been sand blasted. I believe the new cars are coming from Tesla with some protection, but the front tires kick up a lot of debris onto the rear rocker panel.

Not true. The hardest hit area on my 2020 was the front if the rear wheel wells. They literally looked like they had been sand blasted. I believe the new cars are coming from Tesla with some protection, but the front tires kick up a lot of debris onto the rear rocker panel.
Yes, the Palladium cars come with PPF installed on the front of the rear wheel arches. Also, OEM front mudflaps are available.

Reactions: cmarshack