Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF or Not?

To wrap or not to wrap?

• PPF Partial

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • PPF Full

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • All Natural

Votes: 11 25.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be getting my MS in about 1 week (yay!) Now that the garage is power-ready, time to think about what additional things I should be getting for my MS. I've read mix reviews here and other places on getting their MS/MX wrapped or not.
Anyone regretting not getting their MS/MX wrapped? Ready... Go!

I'll come at the question from a different perspective. A wrap was the first thing I talked my husband into doing with our new car and twice already it has saved our paint job. Imagine there will be more occasions to appreciate the protection. If the car is your baby and you are buying it and not leasing it and you plan to keep it for a number of years, I'd say do it. Costs more to repair damage and wrap it later. So no regrets here. Congrats on the 75.

Reactions: boaterva
BTW we went with Xpel Ultimate. There are different levels of wrap to consider if you do go with one. Went straight from the delivery to our detailer. Full wrap took about a week to apply and cure on the car. Seemed like the longest week ever since we knew it was ours and not still in production.

Coating and wrapping are old car sales scams people have just gotten used to:

Only wrap it if you really need it:
1HqxhWh.jpg

I have another ring endorsement for Xpel; the other day I parked my car in a grocery stores parking lot, far from the entrance. What do you know someone parked next to me (which happens often even if there is a lot of open spaces closer to the door) and gave me a door ding:eek: (actually a long mark from the edge of their door) the mark seem to be very pronounce to when I went home I check the camera. I could kinda see the individual (unfortunately with the 2ch Blackvue it's hard to see the sides of my MS:() He knew he hit my my so he pulled of and parked somewhere else. The great thing is since Xpel is "self healing" I ran hot water over the area and used quick detail and the area was good as new!!:)

I have had XPEL Ultimate installed on both of my Teslas (2013 and 2015) Here is the problem with PPF: though they do protect from SMALL rock chips, PPF will NOT protect damage from LARGE flying objects and dents/dings. I have had 3 large flying objects off of freeways (i.e., metal rod flying out of pickup truck, large plastic trash can, part of axle flying off of the car in front of me) hit my front bumper. Each time the object penetrated through the PPF and caused paint damage! My bumper also has small dings from the objects!
A full paint job of my front bumper by my local auto body center costed $700. PPF installed on the front bumper generally runs anywhere between $600 and $1000. So afterwards I had to have PPF RE-INSTALLED after the front bumper was repainted. So not only did the old PPF fail ($600), I have to shell out another $600 for the re-installation for something that does not completely protect!
I think the most prudent approach is to just let the rock chips of the front bumper accumulate over time and then have the bumper repainted once per year.

Reactions: CaptainJ
I have had XPEL Ultimate installed on both of my Teslas (2013 and 2015) Here is the problem with PPF: though they do protect from SMALL rock chips, PPF will NOT protect damage from LARGE flying objects and dents/dings. I have had 3 large flying objects off of freeways (i.e., metal rod flying out of pickup truck, large plastic trash can, part of axle flying off of the car in front of me) hit my front bumper. Each time the object penetrated through the PPF and caused paint damage! My bumper also has small dings from the objects!
A full paint job of my front bumper by my local auto body center costed $700. PPF installed on the front bumper generally runs anywhere between $600 and $1000. So afterwards I had to have PPF RE-INSTALLED after the front bumper was repainted. So not only did the old PPF fail ($600), I have to shell out another $600 for the re-installation for something that does not completely protect!
I think the most prudent approach is to just let the rock chips of the front bumper accumulate over time and then have the bumper repainted once per year.
Yes I do understand SarasotaModelS...I went to Atlanta several months ago and sure enough a sheet of medal flew up from the road and grazed my hood; there was some penetration but fortunately the damage wasn't so severe to replace the PPF. As you mentioned being prudent; gather information (pro's/con's) and choose which best fits you:rolleyes:

If you live in a place with really bad roads or are annoyed by even the tiniest misnomer in your paint then it would be great peace of mind to get the whole vehicle covered. However, most of your problems will come from the front so covering just the front will usually be just fine. If you want to learn a little more about Tesla PPF and other Tesla customization services then check out this website, Tesla Paint Protection Film

With regards to coverage - the market is definitely changing. It used to be you'd see partial front ends (first 18-24") and occasionally the full front end. Now it is heavily full front ends with the full car coverage on the uptick.

I think this comes from the general public understanding PPF more, trusting the newer technologies more than older technologies, and seeing the return on their investments.