Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pray that you dont get in a car accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have been in many car accidents. None my fault. But having a Tesla in the shop for over a month and a half is extremely frustrating and a huge headache. There has been back and forth between Service King Houston and Tesla about whether the parts were delivered or not and in the meantime i am paying hundreds of dollars out of pocket for a rental. It sucks that I’m paying over $1000 a month in auto payments to drive a base model corolla and on top of that spending hundreds of dollars on a rental.

Ok I’m done venting. I would still recommend Tesla to anyone and love my S. Don’t regret that purchase one bit but definitely dropping the idea of buying a MX as my second car, which I had planned to do before the tax credit and supercharging credit expired.

i have been in many car accidents. None my fault. But having a Tesla in the shop for over a month and a half is extremely frustrating and a huge headache. There has been back and forth between Service King Houston and Tesla about whether the parts were delivered or not and in the meantime i am paying hundreds of dollars out of pocket for a rental. It sucks that I’m paying over $1000 a month in auto payments to drive a base model corolla and on top of that spending hundreds of dollars on a rental.

Ok I’m done venting. I would still recommend Tesla to anyone and love my S. Don’t regret that purchase one bit but definitely dropping the idea of buying a MX as my second car, which I had planned to do before the tax credit and supercharging credit expired.
I was in an accident (hit from behind at light) in my X and had it fixed so I have a frame of reference. Have you done 2 below?

JonMc, Aug 14, 2017 Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2017
Hi everyone – to make contacting the right person at Tesla easier, we’ve streamlined our contacts for you:
[1] For any customer issue, you can call us (877-798-3752), tweet us (@teslaservice) or email us ([email protected])
[2] For Body shop or collision repair issues, you can get a Tesla Body Shop Customer Advocate to assist you by emailing us ([email protected]) or calling 877-798-3752 (press 2, then 4).
[3] To escalate any issue, you can log into your Tesla account, click Support and then Executive Escalation.
Thanks, Jon

I was in an accident (hit from behind at light) in my X and had it fixed so I have a frame of reference. Have you done 2 below?

JonMc, Aug 14, 2017 Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2017
Hi everyone – to make contacting the right person at Tesla easier, we’ve streamlined our contacts for you:
[1] For any customer issue, you can call us (877-798-3752), tweet us (@teslaservice) or email us ([email protected])
[2] For Body shop or collision repair issues, you can get a Tesla Body Shop Customer Advocate to assist you by emailing us ([email protected]) or calling 877-798-3752 (press 2, then 4).
[3] To escalate any issue, you can log into your Tesla account, click Support and then Executive Escalation.
Thanks, Jon

Thanks! Yes I’ve been in contact with the Body Shop support people at Tesla and they’ve been great. I’m really not sure who is to blame for the parts never arriving/going missing. But today has been a huge headache changing out rental companies again, finding out my car won’t be ready this week, and having to once again pay out of pocket for a rental for who knows how long. I actually did escalate it on the MyTesla account. I haven’t heard back from anyone yet but I really really hope this is the last time this happens. Had I known the headache this whole process was going to be, I would have punched the idiot who hit my car. Ok Jk about that but I just needed to vent about this situation as it has been extremely frustrating.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Oh, they hit your car?

They are liable for how ever long it takes you to get your car back and for the rental. No need to be nice, you’re out of a Tesla and that means they’re paying the cost for the rental of one.

Not sure what the issue is then. Rent a Tesla and make sure their insurance knows that it’s on their dime.

The liability owed to the not-at-fault party is state dependent (and in some cases, does not exist at all until a judgment has been handed down by a court of law).

Here in TX, per court precedent, you are owed "a reasonable replacement for the time reasonably required to repair" the vehicle. Not all states have that language.

Even with that language, is "reasonable = like for like"? Is "reasonable = same class/size (so a Kia sedan is A-OK)"? And what about the time? Does the company owe for the entire timeframe due to a single part being unavailable from Tesla? Would the vehicle be "reasonably repaired" in a couple weeks, but that single part Tesla won't supply lags by three months, so now it is "unreasonably long"? Do you trust putting the answers to those questions in the hands of a judge and/or jury?

The liability owed to the not-at-fault party is state dependent (and in some cases, does not exist at all until a judgment has been handed down by a court of law).

Here in TX, per court precedent, you are owed "a reasonable replacement for the time reasonably required to repair" the vehicle. Not all states have that language.

Even with that language, is "reasonable = like for like"? Is "reasonable = same class/size (so a Kia sedan is A-OK)"? And what about the time? Does the company owe for the entire timeframe due to a single part being unavailable from Tesla? Would the vehicle be "reasonably repaired" in a couple weeks, but that single part Tesla won't supply lags by three months, so now it is "unreasonably long"? Do you trust putting the answers to those questions in the hands of a judge and/or jury?
Well I don't know about Texas, but here in California the at fault party would be liable for all of the damages that were proximately caused by their negligence. If a "Tesla" takes 2 months to repair then that is the time they will be responsible for. As to the replacement vehicle, the question is the "loss of use". What is the fair market rental of your vehicle?

Lucky you have an S or X. Instead of say the single casting rear of a model Y. Haven’t seen any news stories yet, but single casting likely means while you’ll be physically safe in a rear end accident, the car is likely to be totaled since you can’t repair just a portion of the rear. Teardown plus labor+1/3 of the car frame in a single casting likely more than 50% of the value of the car, so hello totaled ville

Having been reading for many years here, your title sums it up well. I also pray for this, dedicated repair shops and parts shortage do not make it easy.
My windshield from Fremont was one month delay, only thanks to the shrewd local service manager I got one from another SC in three days.