Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-2019 HW3 upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now the visualizations seem like an opt-in feature anyway (there’s a new configuration menu for it?) so HW3 is not “required” yet. I’d be more upset if they enabled additional FSD features before most people got retrofits (e.g. me) :D
Beg to differ. I have 40.50.1 and there is no option under autopilot or anywhere else. I suspect it is entirely likely. They've been shipping HW3 since spring 2019. Those with fsd and delivery in 2018 appear touched. HW3 come from China, there are tariffs involved. Do they put it in a 3 being assembled or staop the line and retrofit ppl ordering fsd in 2018. I doubt they'll stop the line.

Beg to differ. I have 40.50.1 and there is no option under autopilot or anywhere else. I suspect it is entirely likely. They've been shipping HW3 since spring 2019. Those with fsd and delivery in 2018 appear touched.

If you wanna call "unable to turn on an optional visualization that adds 0 actual functionality" touched that's your call I guess.

We've already been told widespread rollout of 2.x->3 upgrades happening Q1 2020 as that's when functional differences are likely to start appearing.

If you wanna call "unable to turn on an optional visualization that adds 0 actual functionality" touched that's your call I guess.

We've already been told widespread rollout of 2.x->3 upgrades happening Q1 2020 as that's when functional differences are likely to start appearing.

I'm with you. Do I wish I had visualizations? Of course. Does it bother me to not have them yet? No.

When city AP is a widespread rollout and I dont? Then yes I'm pissed

I was in the San Diego service center just yesterday replacing a tire due to a bolt that had conveniently punctured it. (I have no proof, but I suspect foul play.) At any rate, I asked the service tech a couple questions:

1) The battery range seems to have been degrading, and is clearly shown on teslafi. He gave me the usual speal about how the range is an estimate, and changes based on my charging/driving habits. Gave a few tips on how to get the range to improve on the display (namely, charging to 90% daily), and assured me that if I truly felt there was a problem with my battery I could schedule a service appointment and they could remotely initiate a battery diagnostics to determine if the battery is faulty and compare it to similar vins to get an idea how my vehicle is performing compared to others released around the same time. (Not related to this thread, I know, but thought I'd share.)

2) The HW3 has begun to roll out, but very slowly, and based on VIN. He indicated there won't be any notification in the app or email, but that they can check in the service center if my car is ready for its upgrade whenever I'm in for service. Basically, a "relax, we'll get to you" kind of response.

No, it does not.

Everything other than the visualization changes works fine on 2.5 and 2.5 cars have been getting the update.

Traffic light and stop sign alerts don't work on HW2.5. That is more than just the visualizations. HW2.5 is incapable of recognizing them and warning the driver. i.e. no alert or any other notification.

I was in the San Diego service center just yesterday replacing a tire due to a bolt that had conveniently punctured it. (I have no proof, but I suspect foul play.) At any rate, I asked the service tech a couple questions:

1) The battery range seems to have been degrading, and is clearly shown on teslafi. He gave me the usual speal about how the range is an estimate, and changes based on my charging/driving habits. Gave a few tips on how to get the range to improve on the display (namely, charging to 90% daily), and assured me that if I truly felt there was a problem with my battery I could schedule a service appointment and they could remotely initiate a battery diagnostics to determine if the battery is faulty and compare it to similar vins to get an idea how my vehicle is performing compared to others released around the same time. (Not related to this thread, I know, but thought I'd share.)

2) The HW3 has begun to roll out, but very slowly, and based on VIN. He indicated there won't be any notification in the app or email, but that they can check in the service center if my car is ready for its upgrade whenever I'm in for service. Basically, a "relax, we'll get to you" kind of response.

Hmmm... Number 1 makes me wonder if a car battery from an underperforming batch would only get compared against another car with a battery from an underperforming batch.

Number 2 is fine, as long as the SC stops getting annoyed with people checking all the time and filing requests for HW3 upgrades.

actually traffic light notifications DO work on my 2.5. Just no visualization

Try the following:
Find an empty surface street with a stop sign that works for Autopilot
Engage AP driving towards stop sign
As you get too close to the sign to stop, you should get the alert (too late to stop in many cases)

This works for my July 2018 build with EAP and FSD, HW 2.5.

Reactions: krettig