Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-2020 cars have wiring for a rear ac button

Will the unused rear AC button harness work?

• Yes

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • NO

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do the rear vents not auto on when seat belts are clicked in? I thought it does. Or it'll remember setting and turn on when clicked in. I had kids back there and vent would turn on throughout my trips.
Oh they totally do automatically turn on when the car senses a weight in the rear. I can only assume some engineer included the button BEFORE they knew about the seat sensors. I've never seen a car with the button installed, but it makes me wonder.... did they ever write the code for it? And if they did, did anyone ever bother removing the code? I can't imagine removing the code would be a priority since it would literally never be invoked unless someone starts messing around like me ;-}

If you hook it up and it doesn’t work right away, it might start working after a routine software update.
I think the opposite is more likely. If it happens to work now, there's a good chance it might stop working after someone at Tesla does a code review and wonders "Why is there code for a rear AC button"
Then again - maybe the button triggers the same code as the on screen button.

Sounds like I've got a weekend project.

Reactions: strykeroz
What do you think would happen if I hooked up a button to it? Think it'll work?
No it won't. I came across this unused plug when I made some modifications to my center console. It shows up on the service manual as "Rear HVAC Control" with the blue wire as ground and the white as "button signal and LED". I tried shorting them with the HVAC on and looking at the screen to see if the rear would start/stop blowing air. Nothing. Also tried putting an LED on the wires to see if it would light up with the rear blowing or not. Nothing. So I'm guessing that is either not active or not connected at the MCU end either.

By the way, my car is a March 2018 build and I also found 2 unused plugs under the frunk tub towards the front of the car. One is 2-pin and the other 3-pin. I took pics of them, but haven't been able to identify them (haven't tried hard).

I wonder if this is the bug that's causing RearAC to blow hot sometimes (lots of threads). I was told firmware would fix it.
I think you're confused. No model 3 sold to the public had the physical rear AC button. Someone designed it in the harness so it was a possibility very early on, and Tesla just didn't bother removing it from the center console harness until 2020.