Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre Conditioning for SuC - is this right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a rough cross check, my old MS had ludicrous and when you turned on ludicrous+ it would heat the batteries and tell you how long it would take. 40 mins+ using a 6kw heater was pretty typical. 4kwh to get the battery nice and toasty sounds realistic, the battery in the MS being proportionately bigger.

I’ve noticed what appears to be 2/multiple heating cycles too. Some thoughts I’ve had in on why include reaching a ‘simmer’ temperature initially from where reaching ‘boiling’ is a more predictable time span, or during the first phase the car works out how quickly it can heat the battery due to all factors (wind, rain, humidity, etc, ie just try heating it and see how fast it heats up), and/or it does the early phase to check impact on range etc so it can correct it’s journey calculations.

popped to the Elveden Inn for lunch the other day, wasn't actually intending to charge but my mate was playing around with the Nav en-route and didn't notice he'd set the SuC as the destination... 8 mile trip with 46% efficiency and 555 Wh/mi...

I just checked my last journey there and back to a Rapid charger at a retail park where I was buying something. I remember setting the nav to a nearby Supercharger, so it'd pre-condition. Journey was 16 miles there, then 16 miles back after charging.

Just checked and efficiency was better on the way there - 80% 274Wh/mi, compared to 75% 293Wh/mi on the way back.

I may have driven it a little harder on the way back but not much. I guess for those of us with a heat pump it doesn't make much difference.

I would expect it too. Wouldn't the heatpump extract heat from the ambient air and use that to heat the battery rather than the cars heaters/motors?

Thanks to the Octavalve it can extract it from numerous places including the motors and cabin if they have anything to harvest. I knew it was supposed to be beneficial for economy in lower temperatures, but I'm surprised at the significant difference compared with a car without it.

Reading through this thread confirms my view that there is an additional cost to supercharging that in winter could be significant. But does the pre-heating make charging more rapid and reduce overall travel time compared with minimal pre-heating?
Is there a difference between the behaviour of. pre and post heat pump card?

Most of my charging is at home, so it isn't a big issue, but I'd like to know if it is really an issue, or like many Tesla related things, just a quirk of the Tesla Way?

Reading through this thread confirms my view that there is an additional cost to supercharging that in winter could be significant. But does the pre-heating make charging more rapid and reduce overall travel time compared with minimal pre-heating?
Is there a difference between the behaviour of. pre and post heat pump card?

Most of my charging is at home, so it isn't a big issue, but I'd like to know if it is really an issue, or like many Tesla related things, just a quirk of the Tesla Way?
Yes, preheating does make charging more rapid. Bjørn Nyland's videos that address this specific point provide more information. Waiting at charging stops normally has a significant impact on journey time, so preheating reduces overall travel times. That's one of the reasons Tesla introduced it. Winter amplifies the problem.

The heat pump vehicles do improve efficiency dramatically. Again Bjørn has videos on it.

Last edited:
Yes, preheating does make charging more rapid. Bjørn Nyland's videos that address this specific point provide more information. Waiting at charging stops normally has a significant impact on journey time, so preheating reduces overall travel times. That's one of the reasons Tesla introduced it. Winter amplifies the problem.

The heat pump vehicles do improve efficiency dramatically. Again Bjørn has videos on it.
Interesting, I'm fortunate it seems to have a MiC M3 with heat pump and to live in a climate rather more moderate that Biorn's!

• Funny
Reactions: Nick77 and Jeeves