Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning w/SC the next stop in a multi-stop trip, Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Were you at low state of charge? It has been my experience (denied by other here) that if you are at lower state of charge the battery will not pre-condition. For example, if I am hypothetically 30 min from a supercharger with projected arrival at the supercharger with less than 20% SOC (not uncommon for me) it seems to prioritize preserving the SOC over warming up the battery to make for faster charging. Next road trip I will be testing out the S3XY button battery precondition function.

Keith

Upvote 0
Were you at low state of charge? It has been my experience (denied by other here) that if you are at lower state of charge the battery will not pre-condition. For example, if I am hypothetically 30 min from a supercharger with projected arrival at the supercharger with less than 20% SOC (not uncommon for me) it seems to prioritize preserving the SOC over warming up the battery to make for faster charging. Next road trip I will be testing out the S3XY button battery precondition function.

Keith
Tesla made updates recently to take more factors into account for range predictions. What is said above makes sense. Tesla NAV likes to prevent the vehicle from going below 10% soc. So if precondition would cause you to arrive with less than that it may not do it.

The times where I have routed directly to a SC using only the address it doesn't always recognize it as a SC and so will not condition the battery.

The best way to have the precon work automatically is to put in your destination and let Tesla pick the SC stops along the way.

Upvote 0
Just enjoy your road trips. Unless you're in a hurry where saving minutes at every stop is essential, it doesn't matter for most people. If battery is not optimized on the way to the charger, the car would spend a few minute at a slower charging rate initially while optimizing the battery at the same time. It's not that big a deal.

Upvote 0
Just enjoy your road trips. Unless you're in a hurry where saving minutes at every stop is essential, it doesn't matter for most people. If battery is not optimized on the way to the charger, the car would spend a few minute at a slower charging rate initially while optimizing the battery at the same time. It's not that big a deal.
This will not work in below freezing temperatures. You need to Precondition for Supercharging when it is close to or below zero, else you won't be able to make effective use of the Supercharger. This will throw off your travel schedule and may inconvenience others who need to use the Supercharger. If it is cold enough charging will not be possible until the battery has been warmed. With a low state of charge and a cold battery you could be stuck, unable to Supercharge.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Upvote 0
This will not work in below freezing temperatures. You need to Precondition for Supercharging when it is close to or below zero, else you won't be able to make effective use of the Supercharger. This will throw off your travel schedule and may inconvenience others who need to use the Supercharger. If it is cold enough charging will not be possible until the battery has been warmed. With a low state of charge and a cold battery you could be stuck, unable to Supercharge.
My advice is for people who are traveling, not parking overnight. During driving, even at subzero temp, the battery is already "warm" for proper operating temperature. It's not same as optimizing for charging from overnight parking in an non running vehicles.

Upvote 0
My advice is for people who are traveling, not parking overnight. During driving, even at subzero temp, the battery is already "warm" for proper operating temperature. It's not same as optimizing for charging from overnight parking in an non running vehicles.
Even so, normal operating temperature while driving optimistically 70F/20C, is not adequate for fast and efficient Supercharging. Tesla added Preconditioning for Supercharging because it is needed to maximize availability, reduce wait times and ensure efficient use of the Supercharger.

Upvote 0
Even so, normal operating temperature while driving optimistically 70F/20C, is not adequate for fast and efficient Supercharging. Tesla added Preconditioning for Supercharging because it is needed to maximize availability, reduce wait times and ensure efficient use of the Supercharger.
If you route your destinations, it does optimized for SC but in rare case, it does NOT. My point is it's not that big a deal (in the grand scheme of thing) to stress over for this rare occasion. Just enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0
If you route your destinations, it does optimized for SC but in rare case, it does NOT. My point is it's not that big a deal (in the grand scheme of thing) to stress over for this rare occasion. Just enjoy your trip!
For winter driving conditions in the US midwest and Canada, etc; if you don't Precondition for Supercharging in winter in these and other regions you will likely have a poor user experience when using a Supercharger. You could blame Tesla even though Tesla has provided the tools needed to help ensure a satisfactory even if not optimal Supercharging experience when the temperature is at or well below 32F/0C.

Upvote 0
Yeah, even when it's warm out, my car still preconditions. I have to disagree as well. It makes a *huge* difference.

Preconditioning when plugged in takes a lot longer than a few minutes. It takes at least 15-20minutes of driving for it to heat up a cold battery to achieve max rate.

Story: My Kia Niro EV needed the battery to be 80F in order to charge at its max rate of 77kW. I took a trip in the summer that required a charging stop 2 hours in. The battery was still not at 80F when I arrived, (I had an OBD tool to verify) but eventually got there after charging for 10-15 minutes. I was stuck at a paltry 46kW for a while. If this car supported on-route preconditioning, it wouldn't have been a problem. But, the cars are so efficient that just driving them on the highway only has a minor impact on increasing the pack temperature.

You always want to precondition, it helps you and others at the Supercharger. Getting the max speed possible will get you in and out quickly, usually a half hour or less.

Upvote 0
For winter driving conditions in the US midwest and Canada, etc; if you don't Precondition for Supercharging in winter in these and other regions you will likely have a poor user experience when using a Supercharger. You could blame Tesla even though Tesla has provided the tools needed to help ensure a satisfactory even if not optimal Supercharging experience when the temperature is at or well below 32F/0C.
It’s -8°F/-22°C here right now. I drove 30 min home from work and my car still had 0 regenerative barking by the time I got home. If I were driving to a supercharger I’m pretty sure there would have been nothing super about the charging if I didn’t precondition.

Upvote 0