Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Coal has fallen. Nuclear is next then Oil.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to remember that BEV's are heavier than ICE, which means there's literally more material in them. The UCLA study compared a 3900lb Nissan Leaf with a 2800lb Nissan Sentra. That's 900lbs of additional material. And most of that weight isn't the highly recycled (aka less energy intensive) aluminium nor steel. Even the model 3 (despite all the optimizations and aluminium) is still a few hundred pounds heavier than a comparable sports sedan.

As more batteries are made at their place-of-use, then their carbon footprint will be lowered. And as battery density improves, then so will the carbon footprint. Once there are enough batteries in circulation that recycled batteries are viable, then it should seal the case that BEVs take less CO2 to build.
Thanks Oil4AsphaultOnly.
Good chat - appreciate the angle you presented. ! 👍

Reactions: RubberToe
Like most things, people add plastic where it's not necessary.
Here's paper
Fine Science Tools DISPOSABLE STERILIZATION WRAPS

Also, cotton cloth is commonly used

On their product page, I read this: "These biodegradable cellulose fiber wraps are resistant to tears and conform easily to maintain a breathable yet impervious barrier to airborne bacteria, saline, blood and water."

Anything that claims paper is tear resistant and has an impervious barrier to blood and water, can NOT be made only with cellulose fiber, since the very nature of cellulose fiber is to be easily torn and moisture absorbent.

So I sent an e-mail to the manufacturer to confirm this.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
On their product page, I read this: "These biodegradable cellulose fiber wraps are resistant to tears and conform easily to maintain a breathable yet impervious barrier to airborne bacteria, saline, blood and water."

Anything that claims paper is tear resistant and has an impervious barrier to blood and water, can NOT be made only with cellulose fiber, since the very nature of cellulose fiber is to be easily torn and moisture absorbent.

I admire your persistence in pursuit of this point. Please keep me updated.

I think you need to understand that autoclave works by applying superheated steam to items. Any wrapping must be permeable to steam or it will not be sterilized. Wrappings that are made of plastic without pores to let steam in will not work and are not used.

Oil, Plastic leads to refugees... And a new plant based material

But in the immediate aftermath of an invasion or an extreme weather event, where will those people stay while waiting for a safe and permanent home? An Austin-based bioplastics startup and a Bangladeshi scientist have teamed up to develop a plant-based plastic that can be used to construct stable, dignified shelters for refugees.

Unfortunately, it is likely that more suffering waits on the horizon. There is evidence that violence was perpetrated against the Rohingya partly to clear the way for an oil pipeline connecting the Persian Gulf and Africa to China. Many Rohingya live in the port town of Sittwe where the pipeline begins in Myanmar. “There is a definite link between the oil development and the elimination of the Rohingya,” human rights advocate and Save the Rohingya founder Jamila Hanan told Oil Change International in 2013, even before the 2017 exodus. “The Rohingya are being cleared out of Sittwe which is being developed as a deep sea port to take oil tankers from the Middle East. There is huge number of economic developments around the port of Sittwe as a result of the new pipeline.”

• Informative
I admire your persistence in pursuit of this point. Please keep me updated.

This was their response:
Per the manufacturer: the wraps are comprised of environmentally friendly cellulose material made from wood pulp, not petroleum, the material eliminates skin sensitivity from oil residue.

If it TRULY is polyolefin-free, then it's a start. That still leaves a significant amount of non-disposable uses of plastics that remain difficult to replace.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and mspohr
Oil is going to be around for the next 50 years easily. Maybe the next 100 years. There's just too much going on in the world that requires oil and there's no quick and easy way to change that.

My neighbor works at an oil refinery and he reminds me of this every day. And I think he's correct. I don't think anyone old enough to read this thread today will be around by the time we see oil vanish as an energy source.

Pretty sure oil will be around forever. People still ride horses ;)

Reactions: DrGriz and mspohr
I'm a skeptic by nature.
I feel I am as well, but there is healthy skepticism, and then there is just choosing the narrative that suits your own notions. I haven't analysed the paper wrappers, and agree that they feel like plastic. But I think I will take the word of the manufacturer on this. And if it is any consolation, know that a paper mill is one of the worst sources of pollution in our state.

I feel I am as well, but there is healthy skepticism, and then there is just choosing the narrative that suits your own notions. I haven't analysed the paper wrappers, and agree that they feel like plastic. But I think I will take the word of the manufacturer on this. And if it is any consolation, know that a paper mill is one of the worst sources of pollution in our state.

Granted that I need to be careful about bias, but the wording of the manufacturer's reply sounded ... slimy. I'm probably wrong, and left that there.

Exxon’s new ‘advanced recycling’ plant raises environmental concerns

In 2021 alone, ExxonMobil churned out 6m tons of new single-use plastic, more than any other petrochemical company, according to a recent report by the philanthropic Minderoo Foundation. What’s more, recent research has shown that chemical recycling is worse for the environment than mechanical recycling in terms of greenhouse gas emissions and water use, and in some cases, worse than virgin plastic production. The process ExxonMobil’s Baytown plant uses, called pyrolysis, is often so inefficient that many environmental advocates say it should not be called recycling at all.

ExxonMobil’s Baytown complex – which includes the third largest oil refinery in the US and a plant that manufactures 2.3m metric tons of plastic a year – is a major contributor to regional air and water pollution. It also has a long history of emitting chemicals above its permit limits, including the carcinogenic compound benzene. In recent years, ExxonMobil’s Baytown complex has been the site of fires and explosions that have injured workers and triggered shelter-in-place orders for nearby residents.

And Chevron...

EPA faces questions over plastic-based fuel with huge cancer risk

The new scrutiny is in response to an earlier investigation by ProPublica and the Guardian that revealed the EPA approved the new chemicals even though its own scientists calculated that pollution from production of one of the plastic-based fuels was so toxic that one in four people exposed to it over their lifetime would be expected to develop cancer. That risk is 250,000 times greater than the level usually considered acceptable by the EPA division that approves new chemicals, and it’s higher than the lifetime risk of cancer for current smokers.

Federal law does not allow the EPA to approve new chemicals that have serious health or environmental risks unless the agency finds ways to minimize them. Yet, the agency approved the new plastic-based fuels without requiring lab tests, air monitoring or controls that would reduce the release of cancer-causing pollutants or nearby residents’ exposure to them, ProPublica and the Guardian found.

Pretty sure oil will be around forever. People still ride horses ;)

I didn't think I'd have to explain this, but I was talking about in use for transportation on a large scale. Of course oil isn't going to disappear off the planet.....unless of course we manage to consumer it all. LOL I remember when I was a kid in grade school, my science teacher told us that we had about 100 years of oil left.

I didn't think I'd have to explain this, but I was talking about in use for transportation on a large scale. Of course oil isn't going to disappear off the planet.....unless of course we manage to consumer it all. LOL I remember when I was a kid in grade school, my science teacher told us that we had about 100 years of oil left.

Define 'Large Scale'. If we have a shred of morality we'll reduce its use as a fuel by ~99% by 2040. No reason we can't.

Reactions: DrGriz and ggies07
How many new Mines will open up in the U S in the next 10 years? This way we can get more of the raw materials needed for the transition to an all electric future from our own Borders. We will be able get off the China Tit. Or will we always be dependent on Chinese Mines in Africa that employ Child Slave labor?

How many new Mines will open up in the U S in the next 10 years? This way we can get more of the raw materials needed for the transition to an all electric future from our own Borders. We will be able get off the China Tit. Or will we always be dependent on Chinese Mines in Africa that employ Child Slave labor?

Last I heard, the southern states use child labor too. ;)