Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Coal has fallen. Nuclear is next then Oil.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The carbon intensity of electricity production across Europe's largest economies has dropped by nearly a quarter over the past five years, thanks to steep cuts in fossil fuel use for power generation and rapid expansions in renewable electricity output. Average carbon dioxide emissions per kilowatt hour (KWh) of electricity in Europe's six largest economies - Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain and The Netherlands - was 253 grams through November of 2023, data from electricitymaps.com shows. That cumulative total is down from more than 330 grams in 2018, and reveals a broad push across key countries to decarbonise power systems as part of efforts to cap overall pollution and slow climate change.

Odesa and Midland Texas are both busy drilling like there is no tomorrow. Texas is the reason oil prices aren’t through the roof, you are welcome.
If you are 18, no experience, and need a job; go there.

We need oil prices to go "through the roof" for people to recognize the extrinsic costs of continuing to use fossil fuels.

Interesting calculations on grid+backup generator vs grid+powerwall.

Ah, the old "remove the pesky qualifier from the headline". Tesla says it _can_ be cheaper: "When paired with solar, Powerwall works daily to reduce your monthly electricity bill. Over ten years, these savings can make Powerwall and solar more cost effective than a generator." (My emphasis)

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP and ggies07
Ah, the old "remove the pesky qualifier from the headline". Tesla says it _can_ be cheaper: "When paired with solar, Powerwall works daily to reduce your monthly electricity bill. Over ten years, these savings can make Powerwall and solar more cost effective than a generator." (My emphasis)
Generator is just a sunk cost.
Solar and Powerwall earn money every day.

California energy regulators voted Thursday to allow the Diablo Canyon nuclear plant to operate for an additional five years, despite calls from environmental groups to shut it down.

The California Public Utilities Commission agreed to extend the shutdown date for the state’s last functioning nuclear power facility through 2030 instead of closing it in 2025 as previously agreed.

Separately, the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission will consider whether to extend the plant’s operating licenses.

The twin reactors, located midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, began operating in the mid-1980s. They supply up to 9% of the state’s electricity on any given day.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl and GSP

The Treasury said the tax would help address the phenomenon of “carbon leakage”, in which UK manufacturers are undercut on price by foreign rivals whose governments do not impose levies on businesses that emit a lot of carbon.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP

That’s because the US Department of Energy (DoE) must decide whether to stop rubber-stamping the single biggest fossil-fuel expansion on earth, the buildout of natural gas exports from the Gulf of Mexico. So far they have granted every export license anyone has requested, and as a result the US has become the biggest gas exporter on planet earth. If they keep it up, the veteran energy analyst Jeremy Symons says that before long US liquefied natural gas exports will produce more greenhouse gases than everything that happens on the continent of Europe.

They should have stopped long ago – in part because of the damage these giant terminals are doing to the people, the fish and the air of Louisiana and Texas. But if the DoE keeps approving these licenses now, it will fly in the face of their promise in Dubai. “Transitioning away from fossil fuels” doesn’t mean stopping all use of coal, gas and oil tomorrow; sadly, that’s impossible. But it clearly means not building new infrastructure to expand the production and sale of hydrocarbons.

Generator is just a sunk cost.
Solar and Powerwall earn money every day.

Solar and powerwall reduce their debt every day (possibly, ignoring cost of money) , until eventually, maybe, they'll have cost less than a generator, and then eventually, maybe they'll earn money.

Generators can save money lost to food spoilage by running a refrigerator and freezer.

(My wife saw a dumpster full of spoiled food at a grocery store here. Should have had an ice cream party instead.)

I'm not dissing the benefits of solar + powerwall, but for people who just want to run a boiler, fridge and some lights a basic generator is a far cheaper option.

Wife now wants a generator, having just had a 31 hour outage, her longest outage since the 1998 ice storm, and my longest since I've lived here. We live in an urban area so don't normally deal with the longer outages people who live more rurally do. 2 years ago we had a 26 hour outage, previous was just under 24 hours a much longer time ago. So we'd not really felt the need for backup power. But if this is the new normal, we need to adjust to it.

However, I may look at at solar + battery at the same time. My roof is shallow pitch east-west, land is a little higher to the west, and there's a taller building to our south that would block some low sun, so far from ideal for total production, and my PEVs are charged on a separate service, so not a perfect scenario for self-consumption. But still, it's worth a calculation to see how much it could help.

Others had longer outages or are still waiting for power to be restored. Know somebody who had a tree fall and cut only _their_ power. So they're near the back of the line for restoration.

But I can say that during the outages I was able to charge my Kona EV at a DCFC while watching people sit in a _long_ line to get gas. The severity of the storm caught many people out (including me). I charged to 81% the first time, and let went back and topped up to 90% while my wife enjoyed a warm car. While there 2 times, 2 Kia EV6s and a Mach E stopped to charge. My wife also has a colleague with an EV who charged there and then used an inverter on it (probably from 12V) to power their fridge and some lights.

PS The sky was beautiful on Monday night and Tuesday evening before the power came back. Monday night I could really see the stars between the stars.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and mspohr
Solar and powerwall reduce their debt every day (possibly, ignoring cost of money) , until eventually, maybe, they'll have cost less than a generator, and then eventually, maybe they'll earn money.

Generators can save money lost to food spoilage by running a refrigerator and freezer.

(My wife saw a dumpster full of spoiled food at a grocery store here. Should have had an ice cream party instead.)

I'm not dissing the benefits of solar + powerwall, but for people who just want to run a boiler, fridge and some lights a basic generator is a far cheaper option.

Wife now wants a generator, having just had a 31 hour outage, her longest outage since the 1998 ice storm, and my longest since I've lived here. We live in an urban area so don't normally deal with the longer outages people who live more rurally do. 2 years ago we had a 26 hour outage, previous was just under 24 hours a much longer time ago. So we'd not really felt the need for backup power. But if this is the new normal, we need to adjust to it.

However, I may look at at solar + battery at the same time. My roof is shallow pitch east-west, land is a little higher to the west, and there's a taller building to our south that would block some low sun, so far from ideal for total production, and my PEVs are charged on a separate service, so not a perfect scenario for self-consumption. But still, it's worth a calculation to see how much it could help.

Others had longer outages or are still waiting for power to be restored. Know somebody who had a tree fall and cut only _their_ power. So they're near the back of the line for restoration.

But I can say that during the outages I was able to charge my Kona EV at a DCFC while watching people sit in a _long_ line to get gas. The severity of the storm caught many people out (including me). I charged to 81% the first time, and let went back and topped up to 90% while my wife enjoyed a warm car. While there 2 times, 2 Kia EV6s and a Mach E stopped to charge. My wife also has a colleague with an EV who charged there and then used an inverter on it (probably from 12V) to power their fridge and some lights.

PS The sky was beautiful on Monday night and Tuesday evening before the power came back. Monday night I could really see the stars between the stars.
Glad you made it through the storm and power failure.
V2x could be a good solution.

One of the first ways these private clean energy investments will be visible in the economic data is through the construction of manufacturing facilities. Indeed, since President Biden took office, inflation-adjusted spending on the construction of manufacturing facilities has nearly doubled. This increase has exceeded forecasters’ expectations, suggesting that the Investing in America agenda is catalyzing more private sector funding than initially expected (Figure 1).

There has already been notable progress towards expanding U.S. solar and wind manufacturing capacity. Since the Inflation Reduction Act was signed into law in August 2022, over 100 gigawatts of planned manufacturing capacity have been announced for solar module assembly—which would produce enough solar panels per year to power more than 10 percent of U.S. homes. These announcements represent 79 new facilities and/or expansions and more than $13 billion in investment.

To grow the amount of energy storage on the grid, incentives from the President’s Investing in America agenda are spurring historic private deployment of large-scale energy storage capacity. Thanks to cost declines in battery energy storage, in just one year, grid-connected battery energy storage is on track to more than double. It is expected to nearly double again in 2024 (Figure 5). The latest forecasts, following the passage of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law and the Inflation Reduction Act, show a dramatic expansion in capacity for grid-scale battery storage, far outpacing previous estimates (Figure 6). As of August 2023, grid-storage battery capacity is ahead of even this 2023 estimate.

More than one million EVs have already been sold in 2023—three years ahead of the projections made earlier this year and 18 years ahead of the projections made in the beginning of 2021.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and DrGriz

Dozens of US gas utilities, serving more than 35 million customers, offer builders and contractors incentives to keep fossil fuels in buildings, the Guardian has found. Washington state’s NW Natural offers builders $2,000 for each new single-family home they equip with gas appliances, while Texas’s Corpus Christi Gas offers $1,000. And in Minnesota, CenterPoint Energy participates in a program that offers paid vacations to builders who outfit homes with gas.

The longstanding relationship between gas interests and the building sector could be a major impediment to decarbonizing buildings, which account for roughly one-third of US greenhouse gas emissions.

I'm impressed with EcoFlow. The app is great and they really stand behind their products. I killed my EcoFlow River Flow by pushing it a bit too hard. I was able to get it replaced in less than a week. They have a 240v option coming out early next year.

• Informative

The United States and the state of California have reached an agreement in principle with the truck engine manufacturer Cummins on a $1.6 billion penalty to settle claims that the company violated the Clean Air Act by installing devices to defeat emissions controls on hundreds of thousands of engines, the Justice Department announced on Friday. The penalty would be the largest ever under the Clean Air Act and the second largest ever environmental penalty in the United States.

The Justice Department has accused the company of installing defeat devices on 630,000 model year 2013 to 2019 RAM 2500 and 3500 pickup truck engines. The company is also alleged to have secretly installed auxiliary emission control devices on 330,000 model year 2019 to 2023 RAM 2500 and 3500 pickup truck engines.

The United States and the state of California have reached an agreement in principle with the truck engine manufacturer Cummins on a $1.6 billion penalty to settle claims that the company violated the Clean Air Act by installing devices to defeat emissions controls on hundreds of thousands of engines, the Justice Department announced on Friday. The penalty would be the largest ever under the Clean Air Act and the second largest ever environmental penalty in the United States.

The Justice Department has accused the company of installing defeat devices on 630,000 model year 2013 to 2019 RAM 2500 and 3500 pickup truck engines. The company is also alleged to have secretly installed auxiliary emission control devices on 330,000 model year 2019 to 2023 RAM 2500 and 3500 pickup truck engines.

How about 'ebay authentication guarantee'? LOL

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr

A settlement between the state of New Mexico and Ridgeway Arizona Oil Corp. will plug 299 of the company’s moribund, nonproducing oil wells, with the state paying the costs and the company reimbursing the state $30,000 a month until the bill is repaid. Plugging costs could top $30 million, said Sidney Hill, public information officer with the New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department, the parent of the regulatory and enforcement Oil Conservation Division. At $30,000 a month, the repayment process could take more than 83 years.