Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Coal has fallen. Nuclear is next then Oil.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heat pumps are cheap.

And some are DIY :
Hey, if the blonde model can install one, you can too!
I don't know if I'm as skilled as the model but I have installed two air to water heat pumps for DHW and floor hydronic heating. Chiltrix

Reactions: SmartElectric
This is the problem with NG infrastructure. They'll make up any excuse to keep using it. Just hand waving here.

Pacific Gas & Electric’s plan is to take as much carbon out of the air as it emits by 2040, five years earlier than the goal set by its home state of California and Southern California Edison, the state’s second-largest utility.

The report also doesn’t outline what level of emissions the company still expects to produce by 2040. To be net-zero, the utility would have to remove that same amount of emissions from the air through technologies that aim to capture carbon and store it. The report says the company supports policies that promote research and development of such technology, but does not lay out any specific actions the company will take in that arena.

Specifically, the study found that the U.S. can feasibly slash half its emissions in eight years by focusing on its two most carbon-intensive sectors: electricity and transportation. The study compared six separate modeling studies, but found that most of the scenarios pointed to the same solutions: By 2030, more than half of the new cars sold in the country would need to be electric and at least 80 percent of the electricity produced would need to come from solar, wind or other renewable sources. That means building about 800 gigawatts of new renewable energy capacity between now and 2030. It also means increasing EV sales from its current 3 percent to more than 50 percent.

But Abhyankar said much of that work is already moving forward, and just needs a nudge from federal and local policymakers to ensure those specific goals are met on time. Nearly 1400 gigawatts of wind, solar and storage capacity is already in a queue to connect to the nation’s power grids, he said, and several top auto manufacturers—including General Motors and Volvo—have committed to going all electric by 2030 or 2035.

Specifically, the study found that the U.S. can feasibly slash half its emissions in eight years by focusing on its two most carbon-intensive sectors: electricity and transportation. The study compared six separate modeling studies, but found that most of the scenarios pointed to the same solutions: By 2030, more than half of the new cars sold in the country would need to be electric and at least 80 percent of the electricity produced would need to come from solar, wind or other renewable sources. That means building about 800 gigawatts of new renewable energy capacity between now and 2030. It also means increasing EV sales from its current 3 percent to more than 50 percent.

But Abhyankar said much of that work is already moving forward, and just needs a nudge from federal and local policymakers to ensure those specific goals are met on time. Nearly 1400 gigawatts of wind, solar and storage capacity is already in a queue to connect to the nation’s power grids, he said, and several top auto manufacturers—including General Motors and Volvo—have committed to going all electric by 2030 or 2035.

"Perhaps the most interesting finding in the study is that the investors who have paid for the natural-gas infrastructure that currently powers most of the U.S. wouldn’t necessarily lose money in the transition, Abhyankar said. Instead, those gas power plants could continue to be used infrequently to help generate electricity during peak times, he said, allowing the owners and other energy investors to shift their funding to the development of renewables."

So, like, build solar farm next to the NG plant so they share the grid. As solar ramp down, they can spin up the NG plant - if needed.

build solar farm next to the NG plant so they share the grid. As solar ramp down, they can spin up the NG plant - if needed.

Right. Ontario dumped coal electricity production nearly a decade ago and made moderate attempts to re-use transmission infrastructure.

Problem, Conservative Government (crack smoking Toronto mayor Rob Ford's brother Doug) voted in cancelled all renewable contracts, spent $400M to pull working wind turbines from the ground and otherwise send us back to the stone age one stupid decision at a time.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr

The unusual vote to doom his own bill came after the state Senate Appropriations Committee in May significantly watered down Stern’s bill and removed its centerpiece — a deadline that required SoCalGas to shut down the Aliso Canyon gas storage facility by 2027. The hostile amendments also removed from the bill a ban against expanding the controversial natural gas storage site underneath Playa del Rey, also close to residential areas and LAX.

Earth Day: California breaks record by achieving 100% renewable energy for the first time.

What a great time to start offering V2G.
For a few hours. How long to get to 100% 24/7 renewable energy with battery backup plants?

We've witnessed almost a complete collapse of the coal industry. Companies that once commanded Billions in Market Value just 5 year ago have been reduced to Bankrupt shells. Things can change very quickly when inflection points are reached.

Nuclear and Coal share the same base load profile. The one thing nuclear advocates are pushing to save nuclear 'A Carbon Tax' will also promote its poison; Variable Wind and Solar. If their growth continues we could see significant nuclear curtailment in less than 5 years. Plants with a capacity factor of >90% are running razor thin margins. They can't survive even modest curtailment.

As Bloomberg pointed out a few weeks ago... EVs are poised to lower demand enough to cause a permanent collapse in the price of oil by ~2022. As more countries pledge to ban petrol powered cars in the next 15 years and Tesla has accelerated production plans this appears to be almost inevitable.
I’m a pro-nuclear dude — I just don’t think wind and solar are capable of supporting the tremendous power needs of humans. And I despise how solar takes up this massive land “footprint” and find solar to generally be an eyesore. Not saying that a nuclear power plant is pretty by any means but it’s so small that it’s unobtrusive. Some nuclear technology has come a very long way for efficiency as well with new reactor types with little waste.

I like nature. I like the aesthetics of it. Seeing 20,000 acres of land covered in ugly grey and blue panels makes me cringe. Some day there may be a better more viable source of energy but I don’t think solar is it in its current state.

I’m a pro-nuclear dude — I just don’t think wind and solar are capable of supporting the tremendous power needs of humans. And I despise how solar takes up this massive land “footprint” and find solar to generally be an eyesore. Not saying that a nuclear power plant is pretty by any means but it’s so small that it’s unobtrusive. Some nuclear technology has come a very long way for efficiency as well with new reactor types with little waste.

I like nature. I like the aesthetics of it. Seeing 20,000 acres of land covered in ugly grey and blue panels makes me cringe. Some day there may be a better more viable source of energy but I don’t think solar is it in its current state.

How much is too much for nuclear? Vogtle is now at $34B for ~2GW. To get the same amount of energy from solar or wind is <$5B. Nuclear is insanely expensive and that’s gotten worse not better.

And it’s quantifiable… math isn’t about ‘thinking’… you don't 'think' 2+2 is 4... 2+2 IS 4.... it’s numbers. Renewables can absolutely meet our energy needs. EASILY. You don’t need to ‘spoil’ nature. Solar carports and rooftops would be sufficient. Lots and lots and lots of options that don't require vast fields of solar panels.

Last edited:
The President could authorize wind and solar farms on all federal lands including national parks.

Let's not. Although I don't agree with k3rn3lkill3r's pro-nuclear stance, I do agree that nature is beautiful. There's no need to put solar on federal land. Simply covering all the carports, parking lots and roadways would provide enough solar energy to meet our energy needs. The california aquaduct could also use a solar-canopy cover that would both provide electricity as well as control evaporation on our much needed water supply.

Let's not. Although I don't agree with k3rn3lkill3r's pro-nuclear stance, I do agree that nature is beautiful. There's no need to put solar on federal land. Simply covering all the carports, parking lots and roadways would provide enough solar energy to meet our energy needs. The california aquaduct could also use a solar-canopy cover that would both provide electricity as well as control evaporation on our much needed water supply.

A lot of pavement and so on could be covered. But most of the pavement is privately owned and would currently be more expensive to cover than open Federal land.

Absolutely cover artificial bodies of water where there isn't a protected ecosystem.

But if it's not wilderness, it's already "spoiled", including by people who don't see the irony in their complaints about spoiling the landscape.

A lot of pavement and so on could be covered. But most of the pavement is privately owned and would currently be more expensive to cover than open Federal land.

Absolutely cover artificial bodies of water where there isn't a protected ecosystem.

But if it's not wilderness, it's already "spoiled", including by people who don't see the irony in their complaints about spoiling the landscape.

Open Federal land is usually unpaved rough terrain, that translates to high transport costs (for both the panels as well as the infrastructure to connect to the grid). Not sure how you think that's cheaper to cover than privately owned pavement (getting permission from lot owners to add shade to their lots should be an easy sell) with substations nearby?

Reactions: nwdiver
Open Federal land is usually unpaved rough terrain, that translates to high transport costs (for both the panels as well as the infrastructure to connect to the grid). Not sure how you think that's cheaper to cover than privately owned pavement (getting permission from lot owners to add shade to their lots should be an easy sell) with substations nearby?
It's simple - look at the cost to install on open land vs paved land and the costs are well known and available from public sources.

The cost to engineer, build and install elevated solar structures for parking lots costs quite a bit more than your typical ground mount system.

I mean, at this point the LCOE of commercial large scale ground mount systems was about half the cost compared parking lot solar systems last time I looked if not less.

If only V1G was widespread in the SW right now. I charged last night but would have been happy to charge during the day with V1G and favorable rates.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220614-132011_ISO Today.jpg
    Screenshot_20220614-132011_ISO Today.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 46