Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Coal has fallen. Nuclear is next then Oil.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aux heat comes on at temps in the mid to upper 20s. System is 2 years old.

There's your problem. Should be ~10F or lower. Any decent heat pump still has a COP of >2 at 10F. So on cold nights you're easily using >2x more energy than you should when you're running aux heat.

My heat pump is >10 years old and I run it when it's 5F outside. It's not happy but the COP is still >1.

Screen Shot 2024-06-30 at 9.33.43 PM.png

You are consuming 3x the energy with gas than I am using to do the same task.
You are wasting 2/3 of the "primary energy" that you are consuming.
I'm not debating that a gas top uses more energy than a convection.. im debating the opposite

You said you can use 2x more energy while consuming less... The sentence is missing part of your point.. consuming less (fossil fuels)

Which is what I originally said

The oil and gas fields in the North Sea are in terminal decline. Last year, the oil basin produced 34m tonnes of oil, its lowest since production in the North Sea was established in the 1970s. As its accessible fossil fuels dwindle, big oil companies have pulled out of the ageing oil basin. And despite the government issuing a rush of licences since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the amount of oil set to be extracted is rapidly shrinking. Meanwhile, the climate crisis – fuelled by gas, oil and coal extraction – is accelerating at a frightening speed and the world’s leading scientists and energy analysts are clear: there can be no new oil and gas projects if humanity is to avoid catastrophe.

Last week, 60 leading climate organisations including Greenpeace UK, Friends of the Earth England, Wales and Northern Ireland, Oxfam UK and Extinction Rebellion signed an open letter calling for a “clear and funded” transition plan for workers and communities reliant on the oil and gas industry.

Reactions: DrGriz and fhteagle
We've witnessed almost a complete collapse of the coal industry. Companies that once commanded Billions in Market Value just 5 year ago have been reduced to Bankrupt shells. Things can change very quickly when inflection points are reached.

Nuclear and Coal share the same base load profile. The one thing nuclear advocates are pushing to save nuclear 'A Carbon Tax' will also promote its poison; Variable Wind and Solar. If their growth continues we could see significant nuclear curtailment in less than 5 years. Plants with a capacity factor of >90% are running razor thin margins. They can't survive even modest curtailment.

As Bloomberg pointed out a few weeks ago... EVs are poised to lower demand enough to cause a permanent collapse in the price of oil by ~2022. As more countries pledge to ban petrol powered cars in the next 15 years and Tesla has accelerated production plans this appears to be almost inevitable.
It's 2024 and the price of oil didn't collapse. In fact, it's consistently higher than it's ever been. This is why you should never listen to publications like Bloomberg. They have an agenda they push instead of reporting what is actually going on. You become misinformed.

By the way, I'm all for EV's. I just bought one myself a few weeks ago. I love that they don't pollute the air, and don't have to go to the gas station anymore.

Reactions: gt2690b
It's 2024 and the price of oil didn't collapse. In fact, it's consistently higher than it's ever been. This is why you should never listen to publications like Bloomberg. They have an agenda they push instead of reporting what is actually going on. You become misinformed.

By the way, I'm all for EV's. I just bought one myself a few weeks ago. I love that they don't pollute the air, and don't have to go to the gas station anymore.
It was an article with bad predictions. Centered on one fundamentally failed prediction:
"By 2022 electric vehicles will cost the same as their internal-combustion counterparts."

Reactions: TheLastDon
Half of all ocean freighter traffic does nothing but move fossil fuels around.
Renewables would eliminate this.

In 2022 is was 40% of cargo by weight.

Reactions: mspohr

~2023 was the more optimistic scenario. COVID likely pushed that back a bit.

Screen Shot 2024-07-01 at 10.49.18 AM.png

Reactions: mspohr
That sounds expensive.. have you looked into gas heat? it could save you tons of money
It'd be propane. Average price last winter was $2.69. Use $2.70 for simplicity and 27kWh/gal we have $0.10/kWh.
Kentucky January 2024 electricity average was $0.1227/kWh.
Won't need a high COP to crush it, and the heat pump may also be providing the summer AC.

Reactions: dhrivnak and iPlug

Fortunately, we at least have some renewable production. Otherwise, this feedback loop of "warming climate - more HVAC use - more electricity use - more fossil fuel use" would be more intense.

Eyeballing a 50% increase in electricity usage due to heatwave.

Last edited:
Reactions: nwdiver
~2023 was the more optimistic scenario. COVID likely pushed that back a bit.

View attachment 1061307
This is a different measure than what the OP was talking about. OP said that the price of oil would collapse by 2022. It didn't in 2022, 2023 and not in 2024 either. The truth is that oil will contain to remain an important part of our world for as long as any of us live, and that's OK. Just keep working on cleaner power solutions in the meantime to bring the price of them down even more, and then the people will flock to them. The truth is that people vote with their wallets.

It was an article with bad predictions. Centered on one fundamentally failed prediction:
"By 2022 electric vehicles will cost the same as their internal-combustion counterparts."

Well, we are about at that point now. I think the Model Y now costs a few thousand less than the average car in the US.