Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Free supercharging to be brought back!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Free supercharging is never coming back. It was never a sustainable business model. It did exactly what it needed to do though, at the time. Thank goodness Tesla had the foresight and balls to step up to the plate and build their own charging network. No one else would have done that.

However, I'd say that at some point within the next 10 years, Tesla will probably stop mentioning any concept of "supercharging" - it'll be entirely irrelevant.

The current energy giants will have retrofitted "hyperchargers" into all of their gas stations. The batteries in the cars will charge faster and go farther, so people will be charging less. Maybe there'll be wireless charging at most car parks. Most homes, hotels, shopping centres, car parks etc will have fast chargers. There'll be loads of options. Supercharging will be a distant memory.

In the nearer future, I'm guessing the next-gen superchargers will probably focus on automatic connections. This way, the car can charge itself rather than requiring a human. I'd be amazed if they stick with the stalls design though... surely, if it's designed for automatic connection, you'd just have a connector rise out of the ground, plug itself into the bottom of the car and pump in a casual 1000 kW.... so many things are solved that way.

Personally, I'm hoping that will all happen within the next 10 months, as it'll be nigh-on impossible to find a supercharger when the Model 3 comes out.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
Personally, I'm hoping that will all happen within the next 10 months, as it'll be nigh-on impossible to find a supercharger when the Model 3 comes out.

Can people please stop with the network armageddon stuff.

The only problem for Superchargers right now is the cash crunch Tesla is facing. Model 3's volume will resolve the problem it creates, because Tesla will have the cash to build more.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I predict one or both or these two things will happen, that would allow those without free supercharging for life:

Not sure yet of the timing, but I am expecting that free supercharging will come back for the S/X only. Maybe towards the end of the year when the Model 3's start getting out into the wild in good numbers. They would allow S/X that currently do not have free supercharging to add it for $1500 or so, which would enable every S/X to have free supercharging for life again.

I also think they could tie free supercharging to FSD to entice people to active it early. This could be done for Model 3 or instead of the above for S/X.

What are you smoking?! This will never happen!

What? Really?

Never mind.

Uh you triggered a thought.... Tesla knows your car and knows where it is registered. If you are a great distance from home (like indicating you are on a vacation or long road trip, they could decide to make it free. That prevents the locals from crowding the supercharges because they are too cheap to charge at home.

I could see them making road trips half cost vs home charging if they wanted to promote long distance travel.

I don't expect them to make it free 24/7 365.

But in some states if the cost of electricity goes negative during solar PV hours I could see them passing that savings on either as a 24/7 reduction averaged out to the overall cost of electricity for the site or having day pricing be different than night pricing. I'd assume they'd want to avoid complicating the price structure so I'd expect them to just adjust the price for that state when the cost of electricity differs materially from the last pricing adjustment.

I predict one or both or these two things will happen, that would allow those without free supercharging for life:

Not sure yet of the timing, but I am expecting that free supercharging will come back for the S/X only. Maybe towards the end of the year when the Model 3's start getting out into the wild in good numbers. They would allow S/X that currently do not have free supercharging to add it for $1500 or so, which would enable every S/X to have free supercharging for life again.

I also think they could tie free supercharging to FSD to entice people to active it early. This could be done for Model 3 or instead of the above for S/X.

one of the rare cases where I've gone back and undone a post rating because of an announcement. No official news yet but enough stirring around that I'm going to eat crow and say you weren't as wrong as I thought you were. o_O:oops:

From my my tesla page and just received in email. Good job Mr prediction

"You have free, unlimited Supercharging, including your current Tesla and any new Model S or Model X you purchase. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms."

Thanks AR. I didn't know how but knew they would come up with a creative way to leverage super charging to get sales. Makes we want to bump my model 3 res and refer myself to model S. Can I do that? See this marketing stuff works.

Great call! I would not have guessed this and given the mostly negative comments and ratings (4 dislikes, 2 funny, 1 like at the time of this post) it looks like you were one of the few on TMC who saw this coming.

I am not sure you can refer yourself but there are plenty of referral codes out there if you want to take advantage of free Supercharging. (I would be happy to provide mine -- if you need one feel free to PM me ;).)

Last edited:
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Tesla retroactively extends free unlimited Supercharging to all current vehicles

In a surprising move, Tesla is now extending free Supercharging to all current vehicles. In other words, all current Tesla owners up to today have access to free Supercharging for the life of their vehicle. Tesla had previously announced the change of the program to a paid model after 400 kWh per year, which was supposed to take place starting January 1st. It later extended the deadline for two weeks before making the change and it is now retroactively extending the deadline to today. The move seems to be due to the new referral program incentive which enables owners to give free Supercharging through five new referrals of the Model S and Model X. Tesla sent us the following statement about the new program:

“We heard from our customers that free, unlimited Supercharging was one of their favorite reasons to refer a friend to buy a Tesla, so we’re bringing it back for Model S and Model X owners through our referral program, which we update periodically. Beginning today, existing owners can give free, unlimited Supercharging to up to five friends by sharing their referral code, and all existing Tesla owners who purchase a new Model S or Model X will receive free, unlimited Supercharging too.

As a future Tesla owner who does not live in CA and plans to charge at home for the lion's share of my miles, this announcement does not affect me. As a Tesla fan, I'm not so sure it is a good idea for the areas of congestion in the future. And I hope it was not a desperation move to prop up sagging sales of Model S and X.

@Reciprocity : BANG!! Winner, winner, chicken dinner! :D

I love the Disagree/Dislike system. It allows people to who don't actually have something to say to say nothing constructive and feel good about themselves for not really contributing.

I don't believe free charging is going to work in the long run though. 'Free' does weird things to people. And the financial model where declining battery costs, rising real estate/tax costs, and rising electrical rates is going to create rising rate 'dead' overhead that will give Tesla competitors an advantage. ie - the amount of Supercharging cost built into the MSRP will have to keep increasing geometrically over time, and the cars won't be crushed after 8 years.