Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Model X price will be reduced to $78K in January 2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anything, you can always sell the Model X when you get sick of it and get some money back. People are willing to pay $50k for 3 year old models.

I live in Oregon, so sales tax on the EV is like 0.5%.

Haha love that welfare for the rich! Here in red Florida we are going to overtax EVs! EVs are woke. Woke goes to Florida to die!

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Haha love that welfare for the rich! Here in red Florida we are going to overtax EVs! EVs are woke. Woke goes to Florida to die!

Technically, there is 0% sales tax for any goods/services. The problem is, the income state tax is near 10% in Oregon, so not really 'welfare' for the rich. It's crazy how much I pay in income taxes to Oregon. In Florida, there's no state income tax so if I were working in Florida, I would be pocketing WAY more than my income in Oregon because of that tax.

In NJ, it's 0% sales tax on any EV/PHEV.

Last edited:
Technically, there is 0% sales tax for any goods/services. The problem is, the income state tax is near 10% in Oregon, so not really 'welfare' for the rich. It's crazy how much I pay in income taxes to Oregon. In Florida, there's no state income tax so if I were working in Florida, I would be pocketing WAY more than my income in Oregon because of that tax.

In NJ, it's 0% sales tax on any EV/PHEV.
:p We have ~10% sales tax and 10+% income tax here as well no tax credit for trade ins. - Technically could live in any no income tax state and fly to california every weekend and still come out ahead

Tesla has played these price games before. Model Y LR increased in price early this year before it went down again to its current level. It’s interesting Tesla only increased the MXP but not the MXLR. Maybe Cybertruck ramp up needs some of the parts (motors, performance brakes) of the MXP, or the supply cost increase.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Tesla has played these price games before. Model Y LR increased in price early this year before it went down again to its current level. It’s interesting Tesla only increased the MXP but not the MXLR. Maybe Cybertruck ramp up needs some of the parts (motors, performance brakes) of the MXP, or the supply cost increase.
I think it's to maintain the price delta between LR and Plaid models on both S/X. Now the pricing is consistent.
$5,000 to go from S->X whether it's LR or Plaid
$15,000 to go from LR->Plaid whether it's S or X

I think it's to maintain the price delta between LR and Plaid models on both S/X. Now the pricing is consistent.
$5,000 to go from S->X whether it's LR or Plaid
$15,000 to go from LR->Plaid whether it's S or X

I think this move is more primal. If you look at inventory levels, for the last 2 weeks inventory of MXPs in my area has gone from 2 to many. It looks like many people ordered, and now are refusing delivery. I am guessing they have sold through production slots for MXs through year end. Tesla thinks if they raise prices by $5k, suckers will think "Hey, now I'm getting a deal. I'll close my purchase." This seems like basic child psychology.

You can virtually guarantee that in the first or second week of December you will be able to get an inventory MX with a nice discount, free supercharging, free autopilot, maybe free FSD. They are going to have to mega incentive and mega discount to get these things off the lots in December. You can already tell by looking at inventory levels, and it's only October.

You can virtually guarantee that in the first or second week of December you will be able to get an inventory MX with a nice discount, free supercharging, free autopilot, maybe free FSD. They are going to have to mega incentive and mega discount to get these things off the lots in December. You can already tell by looking at inventory levels, and it's only October.

Interesting. Free Paint Color and Free FSD is as much as I would pay for those anyways. Interesting times ;)

I think they'll give away perks like free supercharging MAYBE for 3 years, but definitely not free FSD, which is a $12k option now. Autopilot is already free now. Tesla took a huge hit with profit margins based on Q3 earnings report, and I don't think there's any more wiggle room unless they find more ways to cut down costs of the vehicle unless they start removing more features like the removal of USS last year.

They already reduced the referral credit from $1000 in beginning of September to $250 now. They're more likely raising prices because they can't keep up with demand at this point and with orders bring pushed out to Feb of 2024, they don't need to drop prices currently, at least for the Model X. I think what's going to happen, is that Tesla will start charging extra for the ultra red option, given that is the most popular color and probably causing a backlog.

All they really need to do is to discount the inventory ones by a couple thousand and people will bite.

I've also noticed that the wording of the tax credit in the banner has changed as well. Before it would say that Model X would be eligible for full tax credit with reductions likely after 12/31. Now it states it's only available for certain models instead of blatantly mentioning Model X. It does mention Model X after the link with MSRP limits of $80,000. I've also noticed that they changed the "probable savings' tab and removed the $7500 tax credit that used to be there before for even the base Model X. It still shows up on the bottom, but that's all. These are all subtle changes, but it doesn't point to a massive discount pending.

Last edited:
I think this move is more primal. If you look at inventory levels, for the last 2 weeks inventory of MXPs in my area has gone from 2 to many. It looks like many people ordered, and now are refusing delivery. I am guessing they have sold through production slots for MXs through year end. Tesla thinks if they raise prices by $5k, suckers will think "Hey, now I'm getting a deal. I'll close my purchase." This seems like basic child psychology.

There's not a single MXP or tax credit MXLR within 200 miles of my area (likely the largest market for Model X in the world)

I think they'll give away perks like free supercharging MAYBE for 3 years, but definitely not free FSD, which is a $12k option now. Autopilot is already free now. Tesla took a huge hit with profit margins based on Q3 earnings report, and I don't think there's any more wiggle room unless they find more ways to cut down costs of the vehicle unless they start removing more features like the removal of USS last year.

They already reduced the referral credit from $1000 in beginning of September to $250 now. They're more likely raising prices because they can't keep up with demand at this point and with orders bring pushed out to Feb of 2024, they don't need to drop prices currently, at least for the Model X. I think what's going to happen, is that Tesla will start charging extra for the ultra red option, given that is the most popular color and probably causing a backlog.

All they really need to do is to discount the inventory ones by a couple thousand and people will bite.

I've also noticed that the wording of the tax credit in the banner has changed as well. Before it would say that Model X would be eligible for full tax credit with reductions likely after 12/31. Now it states it's only available for certain models instead of blatantly mentioning Model X. It does mention Model X after the link with MSRP limits of $80,000. I've also noticed that they changed the "probable savings' tab and removed the $7500 tax credit that used to be there before for even the base Model X. It still shows up on the bottom, but that's all. These are all subtle changes, but it doesn't point to a massive discount.
Unlimited Supercharging transfer offer already on the table today to put some extra bait on the hook. 🪱

Yeah I mean you can afford it technically. That is true. You'll just be working until you are dead at that rate.
That seems hyperbolic. Sure if they’re somehow living paycheck to paycheck they’d be stuck paying off their loans the rest of their lives. But otherwise a car payment being about 7% of your take home or the total price being about 30% of your yearly take home doesn’t seem unreasonable.

By your standard a family with $100k take home pay (which before tax will probably be around $175k or well within the top 10% US income) buying a $30k car would be overstretching themselves. Just not a realistic expectation to be spending much less than that in today’s market.

If after having a years worth of expenses saved, maxed out retirement, appropriate investments, etc someone has enough discretionary income to buy a toy, why not?

They have sold 2023 year's new production for those hopeful to catch the rebates before year's end. Early next year builds go to EMEA so February is the earliest possible new North America builds, i.e., there is zero order backlog, plus the inventory is growing. They will heavily discount the X in 2024 Q1 if they whish to move it.