Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Predictions - "Automatic driving on city streets."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My prediction is that “automatic driving”
on city streets“ will never be released as a system that requires driver monitoring (SAE level 2). I think we will see some sort of emergency braking for stop lights and stop signs.
Prepare to eat humble pie.

Just like these Jalopnik guys did this week ;)

Tesla’s ability to get this effort flying straight out of the box, thousands of miles away from its home base and on very short notice, is nothing short of phenomenal. And the team’s efforts should be applauded. They have clearly hired a very smart, motivated group of engineers that are at the top of their game, and despite my earlier skepticism and that breakdown, I’m happy to eat a little humble pie over what I’ve seen so far.​

Since V10 got somewhat delayed and no other FSD related feature was released with V10 - I'd expect FC and City NOA to come only next year, though.

Prepare to eat humble pie.

Just like these Jalopnik guys did this week ;)

Tesla’s ability to get this effort flying straight out of the box, thousands of miles away from its home base and on very short notice, is nothing short of phenomenal. And the team’s efforts should be applauded. They have clearly hired a very smart, motivated group of engineers that are at the top of their game, and despite my earlier skepticism and that breakdown, I’m happy to eat a little humble pie over what I’ve seen so far.​

Since V10 got somewhat delayed and no other FSD related feature was released with V10 - I'd expect FC and City NOA to come only next year, though.
It’s not that I think Tesla engineers can’t make a Level 2 “automatic driving on city streets” feature, I just don’t think they can make one that is safe. If they do that, then I will eat humble pie :p
It doesn’t surprise me that Tesla was able to build a car that beat the Taycan around Nürburgring. The Taycan wasn’t even the fastest EV around Nürburgring before Tesla’s prototype beat it. I fully expect the next version of the Model S to beat the Taycan if Tesla makes that a design goal.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
New to the club but I just had to toss in my ‘two cents worth’. If ‘autopilot’ on city streets is introduced in 2019 is introduced before the end of the year (as originally promised) Tesla will get lots of front page headlines. And not for the right reasons.

• Helpful
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Which is precisely why Tesla has not released "automatic city driving" yet even though they have a working prototype in development. I think Tesla knows that features like traffic light response need to be perfect and reliable before they can release them.

I doubt perfection or reliability is the reason why Tesla is holding back automatic city driving — after all they had no trouble putting ”Enhanced Autopilot” out in December 2016... I guess you had to be there.

Tesla is probably not waiting for it to be perfect, they never have so far. As long as it is Level 2, that will be their safety blanket. Automatic city driving probably just isn’t working well enough for a release yet or maybe it isn’t feature complete yet.

I fully expect Automatic city driving to release at a reliability level that is less than that of an Uber prototype.

Reactions: am_dmd
I don’t see how that could be reconciled with the fact that Tesla is saying in Design Studio to expect Automatic city driving later this year (I’m not sure shadow mode would count...). Unless you don’t expect it out this year?

While we know Tesla is on record about Level 5 no geofence feature complete in 2019, the autonomous release was said to be in 2020. Level 4 requires autonomous driving so that coming out in 2019 seems even iffier than usual.

Based on what Tesla has said, I think they intend to release "automatic city driving" as "L5 feature complete nogeofence" with driver supervision. Now, whether they can do that this year is another question. Personally, I think they will miss their deadline. I don't think they will release the full "automatic city driving" this year. More likely, we will get a piece this year like traffic light response and the rest next year.

As long as it is Level 2, that will be their safety blanket. Automatic city driving probably just isn’t working well enough for a release yet or maybe it isn’t feature complete yet.

Probably both. But that is a given. If "automatic city driving" was feature complete and working well enough, Tesla would have released it already.

Reactions: kbM3
The inclusion of reading real world speed limit signs is not mentioned. I wonder how "automatic city driving" will work without reading speed limit signs in construction zones and places with map data is wrong.
E.g. in my neighborhood the speed limit is 30kph but my M3 assumes it is 50kph, which results in a 66% violation of speed limit if I were to trust the car. This would potentially kill a few kids and certainly cost me my driver license rather quickly.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
The inclusion of reading real world speed limit signs is not mentioned. I wonder how "automatic city driving" will work without reading speed limit signs in construction zones and places with map data is wrong.
E.g. in my neighborhood the speed limit is 30kph but my M3 assumes it is 50kph, which results in a 66% violation of speed limit if I were to trust the car. This would potentially kill a few kids and certainly cost me my driver license rather quickly.

Reading speed limits is implied in "automatic city driving".

Because automatic city driving can't work unless the car knows the speed limit. So either the car will get the speed limit from GPS data or from the cameras reading signs, one or the other.
Fully agree that automatic driving should imply knowing the speed limit - my point is that relying on the GPS data is not good enough. The map data will always lag behind reality in new construction zones.
I understand it is a patent issue - can it be envisioned that the NN somehow allow Tesla to circumvent such patent issue?

Fully agree that automatic driving should imply knowing the speed limit - my point is that relying on the GPS data is not good enough. The map data will always lag behind reality in new construction zones.

Why is why I think that Tesla will add camera vision to read speed limit signs for "automatic city driving". GPS is not good enough.

I understand it is a patent issue - can it be envisioned that the NN somehow allow Tesla to circumvent such patent issue?

Reading speed limit signs with cameras is not a patent issue.

@diplomat33 You forget that Tesla has the Level 2 safety blanket for speed limits. The driver controls/limited the speed just as they do on the NoA highway.

I don’t think there is a patent issue either but I would not be surprised if Automatic city driving comes without traffic-sign recognition.

Not sure what you are getting at. Obviously, L4 "automatic city driving" would not have that. The car would need to control the speed entirely.

I don’t think there is any reason to believe Tesla is releasing a Level 4 Automatic city driving feature, at least anytime soon. I believe the feature they are selling in Design Studio as coming later this year is Level 2 (no matter if it comes this or next year).

Tesla may have some Level 5 prototypes on the road next year if we believe them but nowhere have they talked of releasing Level 4 cars.

I don’t think there is any reason to believe Tesla is releasing a Level 4 Automatic city driving feature, at least anytime soon. I believe the feature they are selling in Design Studio as coming later this year is Level 2 (no matter if it comes this or next year).

Tesla may have some Level 5 prototypes on the road next year if we believe them but nowhere have they talked of releasing Level 4 cars.

I want to make sure that we are clear. L2-L4 is not about driver supervision. You can have L4 with driver supervision. L2-L4 is about how much of the driving the car is able to do. L2, the car can only do some of the driving tasks, L4 the car can do all the driving tasks within its ODD.

So when you say the Design Studio is selling a L2 "automatic city driving", are you saying that "automatic city driving" will be missing some driving tasks or that it will require driver supervision? The former would be L2, the latter could be L2 or L4 depending on what it does.

If Tesla releases "automatic city driving" that can't do all the driving tasks (for example, it can handle intersections but it can't stop at stop signs) that would be L2. But if Tesla releases "automatic city driving" that can handle all the driving tasks but requires some supervision, that would be L4.

Frankly, I would be very surprised if Tesla wants "automatic city driving" to remain at L2 forever when their stated end game is L5 autonomy. After all, Tesla has been working hard to add the necessary pieces to make FSD L4/5 when they are done. And based on the promise of "L5 feature complete nogeofence", I think Tesla certainly intends "automatic city driving" to be L4 at some point. Whether they will ever achieve it or when is a different matter.

Last edited:
I want to make sure that we are clear. L2-L4 is not about driver supervision. You can have L4 with driver supervision. L2-L4 is about how much of the driving the car is able to do. L2, the car can only do some of the driving tasks, L4 the car can do all the driving tasks within its ODD.

Sure, but in my view the more important distinction is that at Level 2 the driver is always responsible and at Level 4 the car is sometimes responsible. So when you say Level 4 Automatic city driving I expect you mean car responsible Automatic city driving (at least when weather permits etc).
So when you say the Design Studio is selling a L2 "automatic city driving", are you saying that "automatic city driving" will be missing some driving tasks or that it will require driver supervision? The former would be L2, the latter could be L2 or L4 depending on what it does.

When I am saying I think Design Studio’s ”Automatic city driving” later this year means Level 2, I mean I believe the driver will remain responsible for that drive — and the reason for that won’t be merely legal, but lack of features that would allow the car to be responsible for the drive within cities. So both: I believe it will be missing some driving tasks and also it will not be able to be car responsible.
If Tesla releases "automatic city driving" that can't do all the driving tasks (for example, it can handle intersections but it can't stop at stop signs) that would be L2. But if Tesla releases "automatic city driving" that can handle all the driving tasks but requires some supervision, that would be L4.

For it to be Level 4, Tesla would first of all have to define it as Level 4. It is a design-intent definition. So even if it was fully capable, but Tesla does not call it Level 4, it won’t be. But I think the question of Level 2 is far more nuanced than that.

I think Automatic city driving will handle stop signs and traffic lights, as Tesla has specifically mentioned those. I think it must handle intersections and roundabouts Tesla has mentioned as well. I don’t think it will do them at an autonomous reliability level, but let’s put that aside for now...

What else would be missing? Well I expect, for one, the ability to recognize and react to all obstacle types, as well as to recognize all types of lane arrangements (including temporary ones). This I would expect is the biggest reason for it remaining at Level 2. This is simply a very hard problem to solve, and probably even more so without Lidar (obstacles) and crowd-sourced HD mapping (lanes).
Frankly, I would be very surprised if Tesla wants "automatic city driving" to remain at L2 forever when their stated end game is L5 autonomy. After all, Tesla has been working hard to add the necessary pieces to make FSD L4/5 when they are done. And based on the promise of "L5 feature complete nogeofence", I think Tesla certainly intends "automatic city driving" to be L4 at some point. Whether they will ever achieve it or when is a different matter.

Of course they don’t want it to remain Level 2 forever. I was talking about what I believe Design Studio is selling for release later this year. I firmly believe the Level 5 robotaxi stuff (whether or not we believe in it) is wholly separate of whatever they have in the actual release pipeline for the next year or more.

The robotaxis, for the time being, are the 2020 equivalent of the coast to coast drive of 2017. Automatic city driving (ACD?) on the other hand is the 2019 equivalent of 2017 Enhanced Autopilot... much closer to actual release, I expect.

Last edited:
Driver supervision absolutely plays into the SAE categorization. An L4 car will never require the driver to take over while the required operational conditions are met. If Tesla continues to require "active supervision" at all times, it will not be L4. It will not be quite as easy for Elon to weasel out of his "level 5 without geofence by the end of the year" answer from the autonomy day. :p