Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preferred Micro SD Card for BlackVue DashCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using a Lexar 128GB 633x 95MB/s Class 10 UHS-I microSDXC card in my 650GW-2ch for months without problem
Interesting . . . the review video website just above your post (in the recent update section) states they no longer recommend the 633x class as too many (including the video author) users are experiencing dash cam failures. It's likely due to heat - as the camera (further exacerbated by the camera's own heat) can get quite warm on summer (desert community especially) days when car inside temps easily go above 140f.

Interesting . . . the review video website just above your post (in the recent update section) states they no longer recommend the 633x class as too many (including the video author) users are experiencing dash cam failures. It's likely due to heat - as the camera (further exacerbated by the camera's own heat) can get quite warm on summer (desert community especially) days when car inside temps easily go above 140f.
My Lexar 633x card continues to work fine in my Blackvue 650GW-2CH since my last post

However that's a bit of a moot point because parent company Micron discontinued Lexar branded memory cards a month or so ago.

I have a 200 GB Lexar card, it failed after about 8 months of continuous use. Replaced under warranty without a problem.

That's about the same experience I've had with SanDisk cards as well.

I've yet to find a card that doesn't fail in less than a year of continuous use. So I have a bunch of cards I just rotate when one fails and I send it back for warranty. I wish the high endurance cards had decent capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Usually it will say "Please check the SD card" over... and over... and over... and over... and over.

However, I have had one fail where it said nothing and I didn't notice it for two weeks... until I tried to view video and it hadn't been recording. I tried reformatting and the card was in RO mode.

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
I had issues with my BlackVue where there would be huge gaps between recordings. I thought my camera had gone bad, so I researched the issue online on various car forums. Turns out, the problem was with the microSD card and not the camera. Apparently, Sandisk's microSD card design does not play well with the dashcam's constant rewriting on the card. People recommended the Sandisk High Endurance card (not the Sandisk Ultra one) and Lexar microSD cards.

Since then, I've tried out the Lexar and the Sandisk High-Endurance microSD card and found that they don't have the same issue that my older Sandisk did. Right now, I'm using the 128 GB Lexar card.

Bad Card:
Amazon.com: SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Class 10 Memory Card with SD Adapter - Retail Packaging: Computers & Accessories

Good Card:
Amazon.com: Lexar High-Performance microSDXC 633x 128GB UHS-I, U1 w/USB 3.0 Reader Flash Memory Card - LSDMI128B1NL633R: Computers & Accessories

Sandisk doesn't make a higher 128 GB capacity High-Endurance card (the largest being 64 GB), so I elected to keep my 128 GB Lexar card in for now. So far, I've had no issues with my dashcam recordings.

Hey guys I bought lexar633X Lexar High-Performance 633x 64 GB MicroSDXC UHS-I Card with SD Adapter and today I dnt know why my dash cam stop recording as I was about to have an accident on the road.

Any solution for this??
I did format the memory card when inserting in the dash cam.

Thank you

I initially thought about purchasing Lexar microSD card but after reading about it failing pretty quickly, I cancelled my order and instead went with BlackVue 64 GB microSD card even though it was a bit pricey. Definitely worth it, as it's still going strong now coming close to 5 months since the dash cam install. It withstood the coldest winter spell in single digits so, totally recommend sticking with BlackVue high endurance card.

I
I initially thought about purchasing Lexar microSD card but after reading about it failing pretty quickly, I cancelled my order and instead went with BlackVue 64 GB microSD card even though it was a bit pricey. Definitely worth it, as it's still going strong now coming close to 5 months since the dash cam install. It withstood the coldest winter spell in single digits so, totally recommend sticking with BlackVue high endurance card.

Blackboxmycar website even recommend the lexar samemas I bought but I dnt know what's really wrong. Or maybe then124gb are good not the one I bought 64gb

an update to this old thread....

I previously reported that my 128GB Lexar card was working fine for many months (described as: "Lexar 128GB 633x 95MB/s Class 10 UHS-I microSDXC")

Now after almost 20months of continuous use of that Lexar card with no problems in my BlackVue DR650GW-2CH, last week I started getting random reboots of the dashcam. The dashcam seemed to still record normally without problem, just that the unit would randomly reboot a few times a day.

Tried reformatting the card several times but problem remained. Replaced the card temporarily with the16GB BlackVue-branded card that originally came in the box, and no more reboots. So I guess the Lexar finally bit the dust after 20months of constant write-cycles (my dashcam has constant 12V power and parking mode enabled). Maybe I was lucky getting that much life out of the card. I've ordered a Transcend 64GB High Endurance (MLC) card to replace the old card - it seems 64GB is the largest size for these high endurance cards?

p.s. as mentioned earlier, parent-company Micron discontinued the Lexar-brand line of memory cards back in mid-2017, although the brand was later purchased by Longsys. No idea what that really means to any Lexar cards still out there on the market (spec, performance, durability etc). Anyhow as others here have said, for dashcam best to stick with a high endurance card for long term reliability.