Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is on the software screen now.

30D3F2B6-6231-47A7-8F2D-E1CECE86EC2D.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: phaheem
When I got the Model 3 Medium Range Premium Interior EAP a year ago, the premium interior featured satellite maps, traffic updates and music streaming. Good stuff. Now, these features were not complimentary, I forget the amount, but with the premium interior it was NOT the base price. I looked far and wide for any limitation or disclaimer at the time, but there was none. I figured it's like the unlimited supercharging on the Model S, and in reality it doesn't cost them much since they need connection to the car 24x7 for data culling anyway.

So today when this surprise came by e-mail I was not happy, at all.

Your complimentary year of Premium Connectivity is ending on 12/31/2019. After this date your car will switch to Standard Connectivity.

View attachment 485636

Complimentary my butt. It was presented as a trim feature. If they had stated it was for a limited time, at the outset, that would have been fair. But this feels as if they came to repossess the subwoofer. The satellite maps and real time traffic were major features.

I'm the last person to whine about how self-driving is a work in progress, it's great, and I added $3,000 cash to the $5,000 that I paid for autopilot, solely for future features (and literally nothing at the moment).

But now this, while it may not break the bank, is, to put it politely, inappropriate in the case of the late 2018 Full Premium MidRange EAP case, because nothing at the time indicated the traffic/satellite maps were a temporary trial or a "complimentary" bonus, it was shown as a feature.

Yeah, I also thought that was a permanent feature. Because without it, we basically now have an SR+ with a partial premium interior.

Do you have any proof they dropped it?

Here's the Tesla site from when I ordered mine in March 2019:
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support
Screenshot_20191207-190203.png

I purchased my M3 LR RWD in March 2019, and there was no mention of any limitation or time length to premium connectivity on the site when I purchased. Since I was confused when people mentioned they saw the 1 year limit on the site earlier than that, I looked it up on the internet archive from 3/24/2019, but can't find any mention of the limitation.

While I still have a few months of the grace period left, I am disappointed to learn that I'll soon have to pay. Premium connectivity was was not the only reason I upgraded to LR from SR+, but it definitely was a factor. I remember specifically asking the sales rep at the showroom if the maps and music features were extra cost, and they said no and mentioned nothing about a limited free period or getting charged later. There was nothing in my paperwork that mentions a time period either. I figured they would start charging new buyers eventually, but never thought they'd charge existing owners. $10/mo is not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it never feels good to get a surprise charge for something you thought was included.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191207-190203.png
    386.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20191207-190203.png
    386.8 KB · Views: 29
One point of clarification, the premium connectivity enables the ability to watch netflix, youtube and enables the music streaming as well? I will have the SR+.

Yes. From the FAQ.

Connectivity Packages

Connectivity Packages
Standard
Included
Premium
$9.99 /mo plus applicable tax

Navigation ✓ ✓
Live Traffic Visualization - ✓
Satellite-View Maps - ✓
Video Streaming* - ✓
Caraoke* - ✓
Music Streaming* - ✓
Internet Browser* - ✓

But you don't have to pay to use video over WiFi:

Can I get Premium Connectivity features by using a mobile hotspot?
Some features that are available to Standard Connectivity owners over Wi-Fi such as video streaming, Caraoke and the internet browser may also be accessed over mobile hotspots, subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier.

Do you have any proof they dropped it?

I didn't take screenshots but look at OP in this thread...it's talking about how there is no mention of time limit on premium connectivity on the website anymore (as of March 2019)

Which is when I bought...and wasn't tracking or considering model 3 in 1H2018, so this whole having to pay for connectivity after a year really does come as a surprise to me

Actually Mercedes offers Mercedes Me Connect for free for 3 years. It includes software updates over LTE, remote start, predictive navigation, Live Traffic, Online Map Updates, Stolen Vehicle Tracker.

Mine MB SLC had 5 years, didn't have the map updates but did include TuneIn for free for those years.

In addition I can always connect Apple CarPlay or Android if I want to use my own navigation and LTE.

The only thing I would use from Tesla is the traffic updates and that is not worth $10 a month when Google, Apple, and everyone else are giving it away for free.

BMW similarly gives traffic for free for 4 years. After that it is $50 a year. Not everyone needs streaming music when you phone will do it for you. So Tesla is grabbing for money when they know that some will subscribe just for traffic.

But its the reason why I like CarPlay so much and use it as my primary navigation and entertainment. I hate that car manufactures try to look you in to a subscription. This is clearly a part in which Tesla is not innovative and is worse off than a lot of the competition that has CarPlay as standard.
That's fair, but it's only on 2019 or newer vehicles, Tesla has offered it free since 2012, so I think that's relatively comparable... Also, I don't see pricing(probably because it's not 3 years old yet) but could be pretty expensive, also they include some things that are free natively on Tesla.(status, remote start, etc)

Here's the Tesla site from when I ordered mine in March 2019:
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support
View attachment 485943

I purchased my M3 LR RWD in March 2019, and there was no mention of any limitation or time length to premium connectivity on the site when I purchased. Since I was confused when people mentioned they saw the 1 year limit on the site earlier than that, I looked it up on the internet archive from 3/24/2019, but can't find any mention of the limitation.

While I still have a few months of the grace period left, I am disappointed to learn that I'll soon have to pay. Premium connectivity was was not the only reason I upgraded to LR from SR+, but it definitely was a factor. I remember specifically asking the sales rep at the showroom if the maps and music features were extra cost, and they said no and mentioned nothing about a limited free period or getting charged later. There was nothing in my paperwork that mentions a time period either. I figured they would start charging new buyers eventually, but never thought they'd charge existing owners. $10/mo is not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it never feels good to get a surprise charge for something you thought was included.

Excellent post. I'm in the same situation.

I actually just went and pulled same screenshots you did but you beat me to posting them. I also looked and saw that in June the 1 year verbiage is there...

This is probably worth bringing to Tesla's attention. Doesn't seem right that there was no mention of a limit when we bought the car and now it's sprung on us...

This is probably worth bringing to Tesla's attention. Doesn't seem right that there was no mention of a limit when we bought the car and now it's sprung on us...

Agreed. It would be one if they told us at literally any point in the process, even in fine print. I'm definitely going to call and complain. Of course it won't do any good though-- it never has.