Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my Model 3 on March 20th and I was well aware that the premium connectivity was only good for one year. I can’t recall if it stated so anywhere on the order page but there was a FAQ page on connectivity that was referenced in hundreds of posts on this forum. I took the time to research it when I was evaluating buying an SR+ vs a LR RWD and wanted to understand the differences in the interiors. It wasn’t very hard to find once I spent a few minutes searching around the internet for it.

But I can understand someone who doesn’t follow the forums or dig into the support pages on Teslas’s website being frustrated. Most of us just ordered online anyway so we never spoke to a rep, and even if we did, virtually everything they say is generally wrong. It’s just the same old story about Tesla being really bad at communicating important information to its customers. You really have to spend some time on this forum before buying a Tesla to find out everything you need to know before buying a car from them. A rep is never going to provide this information to you.

I purchased my Model 3 on March 20th and I was well aware that the premium connectivity was only good for one year. I can’t recall if it stated so anywhere on the order page but there was a FAQ page on connectivity that was referenced in hundreds of posts on this forum. I took the time to research it when I was evaluating buying an SR+ vs a LR RWD and wanted to understand the differences in the interiors. It wasn’t very hard to find once I spent a few minutes searching around the internet for it.

Yup

https://ww.electrek.co/2018/06/23/t...onnectivity-package-in-car-internet-features/

That's from June 2018 mentioning the change to 1 year on post-June 2018 cars.

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

That's the connectivty FAQ from August 2018.

It explicitly mentioned you only get it for 1 year after July 1 2018.

Question. I took delivery on July 5, 2018. This is LR RWD with premium upgrade. Am I grandfather in on lifetime LTE. I order way before the cut off date of July 2018. Confused on order vs delivery.

I’m not sure why we are talking about LTE connectivity. All Model 3’s have LTE connectivity. It is used to access traffic routing data, as well as remote access of the car through your app.

The premium connectivity simply allows you to use the LTE connection for premium features like music/video streaming, and satellite maps and live traffic visualization.

Reactions: Quickstart88
A purchase occurs when you sign the papers and take physical delivery. The date you placed the order is not relevant here.

That's not correct at all- when you order is the only part that matters for this.

If you placed your order before July 1 2018, you get free premium connectivity for life (of the car, and goes to the next owner AFAIK)

Doesn't matter how long it took to take delivery after the order.

Question. I took delivery on July 5, 2018. This is LR RWD with premium upgrade. Am I grandfather in on lifetime LTE. I order way before the cut off date of July 2018. Confused on order vs delivery.

Yes, you should be. It should reflect this if you go to manage your car at tesla.com and say free lifetime premium connectivity or some such language- saw it earlier tonight on mine.

That's not correct at all- when you order is the only part that matters for this.

If you placed your order before July 1 2018, you get free premium connectivity for life (of the car, and goes to the next owner AFAIK)

Doesn't matter how long it took to take delivery after the order.

Yes, you should be. It should reflect this if you go to manage your car at tesla.com and say free lifetime connectivity or some such language- saw it earlier tonight on mine.

Yup, I deleted that after reading the FAQ archive you found. They mix the terms ordered and purchased but in this case an order date on or before June 30th is the trigger point.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I ordered in March 2019 as well. While I was ordering I understood it to be free connectivity for life with the premium interior AWD M3. I know Tesla is constantly changing things such as free supercharging and pricing along with other perks so I figured I was buying at a time where connectivity was the give away to meet quarterly sales projections. This isn't uncommon to how any other business would operate so not a knock against Tesla. I also noticed a few months later that the 1 year subscription was added back to the website which for me confirmed I had gotten a sweet deal.

Cars especially Teslas are increasingly controlled by software. This could be a slippery slope if car companies decide to turn off other things that weren't out right advertised as being for a lifetime. Reminds me of the range downgrade Tesla did earlier this year on Model S's rather to fix the battery fault that could occur.

Tesla owner lawsuit claims software update fraudulently cut battery capacity

Yeah one could say it is the customers responsibility to do all his/her research but at what point are companies suppose to be straight forward with their plans and not misleading on their sales website? I would say we should ultimately hold corporations responsible for educating their customers on their products and those products' expected life/uses.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nostromo
These threads always bring out the worst in people. There is the group that complains because they didn’t do their research and want to blame Tesla for not telling them everything they need to know before buying a car from them.

And then there’s the group that needs to criticize these people with sarcastic pointless comments that do nothing besides demonstrating that they take pleasure in putting other people down for not being as well informed as they are.

I feel bad for the first group. The second group just doesn’t add any value to this forum and makes themselves look foolish every time they post here.

My phone has Spotify. I can play from my phone and BT to car.
Nav already automatically detours if traffic jam is worse than 15 min.
I never use the poor browser in the car. So painful to type anything. I just use my phone.

Why pay $10 per month?

What do you guys do in the car?

Reactions: davewill
It is interesting that “Software Updates over Cellular” is not even listed as a feature. No mention of it in the FAQ as well.

Now, if we assume that “free Premium Connectivity” is the same as “paid Premium Connectivity”, then downloading ALL (not just critical) updates over Cellular is NOT included.

At least Tesla should have mentioned this clearly somewhere.

P.S.: I have sent a question to Tesla Support, will update once received a reply.

What I really would like is the activation of the dead speakers on the A pillar and the top of the front doors.
I think that should be apart of this package
I second that, sadly that's just not possible since the hardware isn't there. I wish Tesla will at least offer that as a dealer installed option though, similar to Homelink, $1000 for premium audio, $300 to enable rear seat heater, etc. Tesla is already showing signs of turning into an actual automaker with their new model year scheme, so in time I think they will start doing that.

I’m not sure why we are talking about LTE connectivity. All Model 3’s have LTE connectivity. It is used to access traffic routing data, as well as remote access of the car through your app.

The premium connectivity simply allows you to use the LTE connection for premium features like music/video streaming, and satellite maps and live traffic visualization.

Got it - thanks for the clarification.

This is a bona fide question to the people who say "use your phone as a hotspot": is it possible in any way to get native satellite view and traffic status on the car's screen that way? Do you mean using the browser via wifi from the phone as hotspot to show e.g. Google Maps? Does that work? Or do you mean just to get music?

And, BTW, the $9.99 isn't the problem. Not paying it would be like stepping down a notch in what I bought and enjoy. The trouble is that in the unavoidable chaos of this young company the 1 yr limitation was (evidently) at times displayed, or disclosed, but at other times it was not. And now this surprise is a disquieting precedent, plus another monthly charge for something that some of us had reason to believe we had paid for in the package, and owned. It's not "whining" or wanting everything, let alone "wanting everything for free".

Those of you who were informed of the "complimentary" temporary satellite maps, be happy, but please show a little courtesy for those of us who were not. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sherlo