Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's possible they drop the slacker account for people with Standard Connectivity. The Tesla blog on V10 implied that streaming music would be available over wifi only: Introducing Software Version 10.0

"To take advantage of the advanced media features in Software Version 10.0, we are also enabling browser access on all Model 3 Standard Range Plus and Standard Range vehicles. The update will also enable streaming media access to Spotify, TuneIn, and Slacker while connected to WiFi for these cars."

But I wouldn't be surprised if things have changed since then.

And we are now getting reports that the Tesla provided Slacker account is only a 1-year offering even if you continue to pay for premium connectivity: Slacker Invalid Tesla Credentials

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
And we are now getting reports that the Tesla provided Slacker account is only a 1-year offering even if you continue to pay for premium connectivity: Slacker Invalid Tesla Credentials

I think that may have just been Slacker server temporarily down. No updates since November, and it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue. A lot of people have cars older than 1 year, and only 5-6 users reported their Slacker service going down.

I think that may have just been Slacker server temporarily down. No updates since November, and it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue. A lot of people have cars older than 1 year, and only 5-6 users reported their Slacker service going down.

It is only people that logged out reporting it. Sort of like Slacker has forgotten to deactivate expired login tokens. (Mainly people that has paid for a premium account wanting to switch back to the Tesla provided account.)

View attachment 485875 I signed up last night and will be billed after my free trial ends (January 8th). I noticed that it shows in the car now, but I don’t seem to have the satellite view, or I don’t know how to activate it. Possibly another update coming very soon?

One thing that might make apartment/condo dwellers happy is that in the car it says updates could happen over cellular connectivity!

Hope you have activated it by now. If not, you will see traffic light and globe symbols bottom right of the map on the console. Use them to activate real-time traffic and 3D maps during the trial. Enjoy!

I'm with you. I want live traffic and am full willing to pay $10/mo for it along with the other services. I am still in the trial period of premium connectivity in my SR+ so I have spotify, streaming audio, caraoke, browser; but not traffic or satellite view. I'm wondering if I will finally get traffic with my paid subscription. If not, then I guess I'm dumping the subscription quickly. I couldn't care less about streaming audio or browser or caraoke. I just want the traffic.

You need to activate the live traffic and satellite view. It's not very intuitive or obvious (till someone tells you where to look for it). There are two symbols, a globe and a traffic light, at bottom right of the map on the console. Use them to turn on/off these features.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Apollo Lake: Overview - Intel
Tesla Model 3: first look at new dual computing platform Tesla developed for Autopilot and MCU - Electrek
so we know they are using an Intel CPU, I am not 100% sure which one though. If I had a guess I would say Intel Atom E3930. We would need @verygreen or @wk057 to run top to let us know what the utilization is on the newer platform, but I suspect it isn’t high (like on Tegra).

CarPlay and Android Auto, mostly, are screen mirroring solutions. The overlay shouldn’t take much if any Intel CPU power.

But you don’t know how much of that cpu power is needed now and for future software roadmaps.

But you don’t know how much of that cpu power is needed now and for future software roadmaps.

What we do know is the CPU requirements for adding Carplay are virtually zero on the car side.

The phone is running all the apps, not the car.

As you've had explained to you multiple times now and keep ignoring.

https://devstreaming-cdn.apple.com/...22_developing_carplay_systems_part_1.pdf?dl=1

That's a document from Apple explaining designing carplay compatible in-car systems.

It explains display requirements...speaker and microphone requirements...touchscreen requirements... and USB/Bluetooth requirements.

All of which Tesla already easily meets without adding anything (other than one line of code for the steering wheel button to activate Siri instead of "normal" voice control when carplay is active)

Know what it doesn't list? CPU requirements.

Because there aren't any.

Because the car isn't really running anything more demanding of the CPU than existing media streaming (like music and video that Tesla already supports via other apps)

Last edited:
What we do know is the CPU requirements for adding Carplay are virtually zero on the car side.

The phone is running all the apps, not the car.

As you've had explained to you multiple times now and keep ignoring.

https://devstreaming-cdn.apple.com/...22_developing_carplay_systems_part_1.pdf?dl=1

That's a document from Apple explaining designing carplay compatible in-car systems.

It explains display requirements...speaker and microphone requirements...touchscreen requirements... and USB/Bluetooth requirements.

All of which Tesla already easily meets without adding anything (other than one line of code for the steering wheel button to activate Siri instead of "normal" voice control when carplay is active)

Know what it doesn't list? CPU requirements.

Because there aren't any.

Because the car isn't really running anything more demanding of the CPU than existing media streaming (like music and video that Tesla already supports via other apps)

This would be valid if you’re asking for CarPlay to take over the entire Tesla screen.

But as you already know, that’s not how a realistic scenario as to how CarPlay would function on a Tesla if it were a feature.

From a premium connectivity standpoint I am not sure what else they could have the car do while in motion that would prevent screen mirroring from working. For a. Power budget perspective.

I agree, I will say that I believe with high probability that the hardware/software can handle it now but wouldn’t be as confident to say it’s the best move for Tesla without knowing what their future software updates will entail.

Ive seen older Tesla cars have laggy software as it already is.

Elon did tweet that text message reading was coming to V10 at some point in the future, though that doesn't help those that use Snapchat or Whatsapp or Messenger.

That's good. I wonder why it is such a big deal. All they need to do is pass audio. The phone already does it. I don't need my smart car to be a smarter phone than my smart phone is when it's hooked up to my smart car. Why can't everyone just get along?

This would be valid if you’re asking for CarPlay to take over the entire Tesla screen.

But as you already know, that’s not how a realistic scenario as to how CarPlay would function on a Tesla if it were a feature.

... I'm not sure why you think running in a window rather than full-screen (which again, the Tesla software already does across multiple apps and Carplay inherently supports doing in interfaces for years now) would be make any difference whatsoever.

Especially since what it'd be running in that window is likely to be less demanding on the car than some other things it already runs inside windows.

In short, there's absolutely zero technical reason whatsoever Tesla could not add carplay support to their vehicles.

They have, very clearly and intentionally, (and consistently for years now) made an intentional business decision not to do so.

We can speculate why...

Tesla thinks they can do better with just their own native apps developed in-house (Musk has often made remarks about how much better than anything else their system is gonna be.... but it's WAY the hell behind schedule getting there... they still haven't figured out how to add Waypoints to the nav system- something Garmin figured out 15+ years ago and Tesla has promised is "coming really soon" for years.... ditto reading text messages...)

Or maybe...

Tesla wants to keep their ecosystem entirely walled off because they eventually want to monetize their own app environment (there's been a lot of speculation on this- Musk has commented that it might make sense as the fleet gets bigger....) though here there actually IS a technical obstacle that wouldn't be one for Carplay... the car doesn't have a massive amount of onboard storage. This limitation has already caused an issue- it's why Cuphead only contains the first area on a Tesla instead of the whole game. The USB 2.0 ports in the front aren't nearly fast enough to solve this issue either. Even worse, the storage it does have (32GB of eMMC) is not replaceable with something larger. It's soldered to the board, not socketed.

Which is how we know there's not gonna be a whole lot of HUGE DEMANDING SOFTWARE coming down the pipe- there's no place to store it.

Ironically of course- Carplay and Android Auto can fix all these issues- since both the processing work and the storage for TONS of apps can be offloaded to the phone.

or maybe...

They plan to offer their own "phone mirror" system--- Musk even said they were....at the start of 2016... then it never came up again. So maybe not. This was after they'd previously said they were gonna release an SDK for developers that also never happened...but now they're maybe talking about it again in relation to the "walled off app environment" notion...but then back to the storage problem....

I seem to be late to the party. I recently stumbled across this Transport Evolved video:

Wow, not impressed. Hoping that at VERY LEAST, Tesla will give option to tether my mobile device as an option. I already pay for a LTE connection and don't need to pay again..!!

Tether options in order of preference: 1. Bluetooth, 2. USB, and 3. WiFi. This is just s/w Tesla... don't jack us around..!!

I seem to be late to the party. I recently stumbled across this Transport Evolved video:

Wow, not impressed. Hoping that at VERY LEAST, Tesla will give option to tether my mobile device as an option. I already pay for a LTE connection and don't need to pay again..!!

Tether options in order of preference: 1. Bluetooth, 2. USB, and 3. WiFi. This is just s/w Tesla... don't jack us around..!!

Tesla does provide tethering via WiFi as an option. But that doesn't pay for the licensing/usage fees for the services, so even when tethered not all features will be available without paying for premium connectivity.

Tesla does provide tethering via WiFi as an option. But that doesn't pay for the licensing/usage fees for the services, so even when tethered not all features will be available without paying for premium connectivity.
You say 'does provide' (present tense)... are folks already paying? When does this officially come into effect (I heard Jan 1/20)? Under what s/w release (I am running 2019.40.2)?

Did Tesla notify customers that this was coming? I definitely never received anything from Tesla on this... I stumbled upon the video.

Tesla publicly stated Model S owners would only get 4 years of full connectivity free in 2014.

They publicly stated Model 3 owners would only get 1 year of it (with premium interior) in mid-2018.

(your video actually mentions both of these announcements)

The FAQ on connectivity at Tesla.com said the same since at least mid-2018 as well...current version is here:
Connectivity

Nothing about this is new other than they're actually later than they said on finally starting to charge people they've been saying for a while they were going to start charging- because apparently figuring out how to bill your own already existing customers is really hard somehow.

If you don't want to pay you can use your phone as a wifi hot spot and you won't lose anything except satellite images on the nav and realtime traffic display on the nav (routing will still use traffic data, just not display it)