Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity Package and Order Date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the way I see it, if I'm going to have to use my my phone, the system may as well just have Android auto..., The rest of the Tesla software for maps and audio is just bloat at this point, just like every other car out there. Hopefully there is a way to remove the garbage apps from the menu (maps and music) for those of us who do not want to pay extra. I guess it's time to look for a nice phone or tablet mount to sit next to the large touch screen, and a way to route the charging cables up to it.

BTW for those that don't know, most phones will not allow you to enable the hotspot if your in a dead zone (they do a carrier check first), so you will have to play with your phone while driving to enable the hotspot if you start in a dead zone (like I have to do every single day).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: R.S
Based on what they're offering with"premium" internet service, it's pretty useless. All of the car functionality is there. The crappy slacker radio and map colors are meh at best. I think it might become more relevant eventually but right now it's a waste of money. Now if they added Pandora, browser, Google/Amazon/Apple music, now we're taking. I'm sure you have your applications you'd rather have than what's in there now, which is lackluster.

Just to balance this thread a little. I have no issue with paying for the 3g data connection on the car as long as its standard market rates, which thankfully it seems to be well below.
I probably wouldn’t either - it’s not unreasonably priced - except that my expectations were already set to not have to pay extra at least for a few years. It isn’t a deal breaker, but it’s about paying more than previously expected, not about exactly how much more. Besides, ongoing little fees are a pet peeve of mine. I still think Tesla will make it right for early reservation holders though.

• I believe they should grandfather in all current reservation holders with current features.
  • Give the 1yr trial after July 1st to new reservation holders (reserve after July 1st) or new S/X buyers
  • I also believe they should add new streaming features not included in the current features. They should then charge everyone for the new premium internet connectivity package if they want those new features. This is then only way I can think of that'd be fair across the board.
They did say S/X owners and anyone who has placed an order before July 1st will get the current features for life, but they've never actually mentioned if there were plans to add additional functionality for the premium internet connectivity package.

• I believe they should grandfather in all current reservation holders with current features.
  • Give the 1yr trial after July 1st to new reservation holders (reserve after July 1st) or new S/X buyers
  • I also believe they should add new streaming features not included in the current features. They should then charge everyone for the new premium internet connectivity package if they want those new features. This is then only way I can think of that'd be fair across the board.
They did say S/X owners and anyone who has placed an order before July 1st will get the current features for life, but they've never actually mentioned if there were plans to add additional functionality for the premium internet connectivity package.
It ‘sounds’ like Premium is the old normal since we current owners get it (it’s not an upgrade for us, right?).

The expectation was that it would be chargeable after four years.
So $400 more. BFD on a $55K car.
Chargeable to all owners after Jan 1 2018, which is not the case.

Specifically with regards to Model 3 reservation holders, Tesla is separating the ones who had the privilege of placing their orders before July 1st from ones who did not or wanted the more expensive versions.

Wow, overreaction much?
Let’s point out - we aren’t talking a ten year amortization. The expectation was that it would be chargeable after four years.
So $400 more. BFD on a $55K car.
Actually $300. The current owners manual says streaming is free for 4 years. Now it’s the first year free. So three extra years of payment. All this hyperventilating from people who haven’t been able to order yet (and those who don’t plan to order) is really over the top.

• Funny
Reactions: insaneoctane
Actually $300. The current owners manual says streaming is free for 4 years. Now it’s the first year free. So three extra years of payment. All this hyperventilating from people who haven’t been able to order yet (and those who don’t plan to order) is really over the top.
Perhaps you missed the bit where these owners will have the feature for life.

Although Tesla will certainly fumble the policy transition (when have they not?...'free supercharging'), when taking a step back this is a first move by Tesla to put in place a Silicon Valley revenue model...SaaS. And frankly I'm happy to see it both as an owner (had always wondered what would happen after my 8 years of map updates had lapsed...8 years is the blink of an eye to me w/r/t car ownership durations) and as a shareholder. Now that said, making too much out of a Fred article, that's based on an internal email, the contents of which were not published verbatim, is a fool's errand. I suspect Elon will eventually clarify that reservations placed after X date will only enjoy the premium level services for Y years. X will be sometime after July 1 (again, will need to correct for/mitigate the policy transition fumble), and Y will be four years I believe (to match the existing warranty period) at least for existing owners or reservation holders. Just my guesses, of course. Elon doesn't want to screw people; as we've all seen, sometimes his underlings mess up on the first go and he has to come behind and mop up. Poor Elon.

I didn’t miss it. I’m referring to new owners were going to have 4 years if the previous policy was continued, now will have one year. That’s a difference of 3 years.

No, the policy was:
"As an added benefit to our existing Model S customers, the free four year period starts on January 1, 2014. "

Instead if a car lasts 20 years that's a difference of $2000 assuming no price increases ($1900 since the first year is free). So if two people reserved a Model 3 on March 31st 2016, one will pay $1900 more over the life of the car vs the other person.

Sounds like any car order not in before July 1 will have to add the optional package. I agree that Model 3 res holders should count as ‘orders’ since they have intent to order already made.
Not true all cars will have lifetime basic internet. The new package will be for browsing the internet. We all have smart phones, why would you use car instead of your smart phone to use internet?

Not true all cars will have lifetime basic internet. The new package will be for browsing the internet. We all have smart phones, why would you use car instead of your smart phone to use internet?

But they are taking away displaying traffic on the maps and internet radio too. I could care less about satellite view.

Internet streaming radio is listed as a standard feature Press Kit | Tesla which we all reserved.

Totally understand about the browser thing.

Reactions: jsmay311
Is there any car company that provides navigation and internet streaming for free? Hmm...
Maybe when Tesla does start charging they can put those revenues to use and improve what they currently provide (my optimistic hope).
All owners have previously been blessed with it and Tesla was clear with them that it would only be available for a specific period of time. And like most companies...Tesla wants to survive and be Sustainable...
What do most car companies charge for navigation packages these days? $2k average? if Tesla is charging $100 per year (estimate) and you keep your car for 10 years... you do the math.
I currently pay over $265 for two cars each year just for satellite radio and this does not include internet...