Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity vs tethering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also should add that in the event I do want to watch TV in my car.. that I picked up an Apple iPad Mini 6 last year and fits perfectly in the center console tray. Tethered to my phone (free).. it allows me to watch live tv, movies and shows. And it of course works while the car is in motion.

Im not advising anyone to watch TV while driving. And the iPad Mini screen is certainly significantly smaller than the 15" touch screen. That said its a great option that works so well.. I now leave it permanently in my vehicle. I've also found the iPad Mini useful for running other apps like ABRP or Waze while Im driving.. as many times I want to visually see what alerts those apps are telling me, but want to use my iPhone for other purposes while driving.

iPad Mini 6 fits perfectly here with no modifications necessary. Almost like it was specifically sized to do so:

tconsole-tesla-model-3.jpg
If you like to watch movies & interwebs in motion I can recommend tethering your phone to your Tesla plus Tslamirror app. No ipad mini required

Reactions: Daekwan
I tried out tethering for about 2 weeks after my 30day trial ended. The car is very glitchy in whether it connects or not. Sometimes it worked great but other times it wouldn't connect, I'd go into Wifi settings and it would say Wifi off...had to toggle on and then it would connect to the hotspot. No rhyme or reason I could figure why it would work or not work.

I also found a YT vid about creating an iPhone automation/driving focus combination to force it to connect whenever the car connected to BT of the phone. That helped but still a bit too unpredictable.

So in the end I subscribed to Premium as it just works and the price is reasonable.

Here is the automation/focus combination to get it to connect and disconnect....still was somewhat glitchy for me though.

What is the situation when you hotspot from your phone and live traffic conditions…I keep hearing mixed opinions on this…
…..When you hotspot from your phone are you able to view live traffic conditions?
shouldn’t that be an automatic feature for every GPS at this time…

Thanks
From what I've read, without PC the car still uses traffic data for routing but you don't see the traffic data (ie red and orange and green areas) when viewing the map.

Reactions: Mark-YSR
So in regards to live traffic, the GPS still navigates with traffic conditions, but you simply can not view the “traffic lines” on the map?
Hmmm, so if there is a an detour or accident upcoming in your route, in theory even without PC the car should reroute you?

So in regards to live traffic, the GPS still navigates with traffic conditions, but you simply can not view the “traffic lines” on the map?
Hmmm, so if there is a a detour or accident upcoming in your route, in theory even without PC the car should reroute you?
That’s correct. Premium connectivity only gets you the colored lines showing on the map. Otherwise the routing is the same with or without premium connectivity.

Reactions: Daekwan
I have continued the Premium Connectivity on my 2020 M3 and find it very good to excellent for all I use it for-mainly maps and movies (when parked!). It almost never is not connected on my trips in NJ and to upstate NY and Western MA. I do not have unlimited data and suspect using my phone would be more expensive than the PC. For music I tend to use what I've loaded on my phone (Google Pixel 6) and I find the FM radio is good in my areas. I do miss the occasional AM for quick (and incomplete) news updates.

I'd add that I don't have the desire to perform additional maneuvers to get things going every time I enter the car, or the reverse on leaving. My wife has even less desire for that, although she likes driving the car. I suspect that Metromoxie, and others on this thread, are of a younger generation than we.

With Premium Connectivity you also get included music streaming (dont need to buy apple music or other streaming services if you dont already have it) via tesla/slacker radio, whereas if you hotspot you can do music streaming but have to provide your own accounts if you have purchased them.

With Premium Connectivity you also get included music streaming (dont need to buy apple music or other streaming services if you dont already have it) via tesla/slacker radio, whereas if you hotspot you can do music streaming but have to provide your own accounts if you have purchased them.
Not true.

With basic and hotspot, Tesla streaming still works.

In my area a lot of the AM stations are substations on HD FM radio. You can also use Tune In to find them streaming.

Not true.

With basic and hotspot, Tesla streaming still works.

In my area a lot of the AM stations are substations on HD FM radio. You can also use Tune In to find them streaming.
Tesla streaming does not work with standard connectivity even on wifi, at least not anymore. It says premium connectivity required when trying to log in with the vehicle account.

Reactions: heapmaster