Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity Vs. Connectivity to WiFi/HotSpot on phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me it's not the $ it's the value for the $ - I expect that's the case for many.
This. While I can afford $100 no problem, I don’t use music streaming and don’t care for satellite maps. I don’t use the browser or video streaming in the car. So all I would be paying for is just sentry mode live camera? Not worth the money for me.

And while $10/mo or $100/yr is relatively low, everything adds up. Subscription fatigue is a thing. A $50k car is not cheap but not anywhere near expensive to the point where buyers are rich enough to have “made it” and be frivolous about money. You can get a Toyota Sienna that costs $50k. It’s a very middle class price point for a car now and lots of “middle class” are living paycheck to paycheck.

Reactions: XPsionic
This. While I can afford $100 no problem, I don’t use music streaming and don’t care for satellite maps. I don’t use the browser or video streaming in the car. So all I would be paying for is just sentry mode live camera? Not worth the money for me.
If they took away online routing for the free connectivity tier, I'd pay for premium for sure. But the car routes just fine, sure I don't see the traffic colors but that hardly matters, and I could always see it on my phone if I wanted to. Like you I also don't stream music and hardly ever sit at a supercharger doing nothing.

Reactions: Msjulie and E90alex
Does anyone know how we can configure automatic connection to the hotspot? My wife recently took delivery of a new Y, and she doesn’t want premium.

When I’m driving her car, it looks like I have to manually turn on wifi (it defaults to off, every time I get out of the car), open my iPhone, let the car go through its “searching” routine, and then finally connect.
I also can't configure automatic connection to the hotspot, and have to do it manually each time.

Additionally, I'm affected by a Bluetooth "bug" that prevents music from transmitting from my S20 phone to the Tesla (phone calls work fine).

I'm of the opinion that I shouldn't have to pay an additional $10/mo just to listen to music in my car. I already pay for spotify.

These "bugs" need to be worked out on Tesla's end. It's no about "I can't afford $10/mo" - it's about "why can't my brand new Tesla do what my Mom's decade-old Mazda can do?"

• Disagree
I also can't configure automatic connection to the hotspot, and have to do it manually each time.

Additionally, I'm affected by a Bluetooth "bug" that prevents music from transmitting from my S20 phone to the Tesla (phone calls work fine).

I'm of the opinion that I shouldn't have to pay an additional $10/mo just to listen to music in my car. I already pay for spotify.

These "bugs" need to be worked out on Tesla's end. It's no about "I can't afford $10/mo" - it's about "why can't my brand new Tesla do what my Mom's decade-old Mazda can do?"
Check your phone's settings, including individual app volume and Bluetooth permission settings. I haven't heard of this being an issue in general.

Check your phone's settings, including individual app volume and Bluetooth permission settings. I haven't heard of this being an issue in general.
It's a nice thought, but I already tried this. I should mention that I have no issues pairing to my Bluetooth speakers and headsets to play music - the problem is isolated to Tesla. It is an issue that has been reported elsewhere. At least one other user experiencing this issue has a Galaxy S series like me.

It's a nice thought, but I already tried this. I should mention that I have no issues pairing to my Bluetooth speakers and headsets to play music - the problem is isolated to Tesla. It is an issue that has been reported elsewhere. At least one other user experiencing this issue has a Galaxy S series like me.

I mention it because Android has a ton of different settings, with phone and media volume being separate, as well as bluetooth settings that can be different for every app, as well as every device. Codec support also varies between devices and you may have to dig deep into the settings to change which codecs are on.

For example, my phone call volume is set to full volume, but media is not.

People having Bluetooth issues on Samsungs say to try:
On the phone go to > settings > info about device ( almost every android has it last or first ) > advanced settings for advanced : there find this with Bluetooth: -Disable hardware support/acceleration A2DP -Activation Bluetooth SAP > Always allow SAP (forced)

If case some old settings are sticking, you can try removing the device under the Bluetooth section in your Tesla, adding it back, and also renaming the device name to something simpler (some devices the device name causes issues).

I gave up my plan and don’t miss it. I use SiriusXM so I have my phone plugged in with Bluetooth anyway. I’ve never used satellite view and drive 35k per year. Navigation will still route you away from traffic jams and live sentry view is the only thing that gave me pause when canceling

My free 30 days prime connectivity will end soon. I am wondering if I really needed. The cost is only 10$/month.
What I really need is the screen showing my car in my lane, and showing cars on the left and right lanes, in front and behind my car.
1/ Without PC, do I still have what I need as described above ?
2/ without PC, navigation screen will not show traffic conditions such as RED for jam, Blue for clear traffic , Is this correct?
3/ without PC, do Auto pilot and Auto steer still work as with PC?
I got my M3 two weeks ago, still learning features of this car.
Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

My free 30 days prime connectivity will end soon. I am wondering if I really needed. The cost is only 10$/month.
What I really need is the screen showing my car in my lane, and showing cars on the left and right lanes, in front and behind my car.
1/ Without PC, do I still have what I need as described above ?
2/ without PC, navigation screen will not show traffic conditions such as RED for jam, Blue for clear traffic , Is this correct?
3/ without PC, do Auto pilot and Auto steer still work as with PC?
I got my M3 two weeks ago, still learning features of this car.
Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Tesla details what comes with premium connectivity on their website. You can find the feature list, here:

I fully agree to: It's the value I get for 10$/month or 99$/year.
If the extra features of PC are of no interest to me. I will skip.
What happens to Standard Connectivity after 8 years?
I believe that we all chose Tesla for many good things it has, including Auto pilot, auto steer.
If SC disappears after 8 years, I will surely trade it for a new EV, different brand though.
By that time, EV competition is fierce, EV cars have much longer range and cheaper,
Time to trade for a new one.

Last edited: