Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Rear Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing. Is that wet stuff like an oil or lubricant for the hinge? The hinge concern is the main reason I won't buy it. Actually they're also out of stock with my decor/color combo anyway.

Honestly I can't tell. The picture exaggerates the wetness because of exposure in the dark car. When I first opened it to look, I had to really look before I noticed it. It was a sunny day thou. The hinge seems ok when I move it around, but knowing of the problem with it I am trying to get my kids to avoid using it. I may even put something in there that fills up the space to discourage them from using it. Is that too evil?? :)

I ordered my rear console in January of 2016 once it started showing that it was no longer sold out on the website. My kids loved having that back there, and I told them to be very careful with it because there is a history of the hinge in the back cracking the plastic housing.

Given the history of this problem with the rear console and the delay in them becoming available, I assumed it was because they were re-designing to address the cracking plastic issue. It turns out that I was wrong -- my hinge cracked within the first few months.

I have emailed Tesla and asked for a refund. I hope they will honor that request. It seems that some people have been through multiple iterations / replacements and they all crack.

I have a beige leather with Obeche mat wood rear armrest (2nd one) with a slight crack on hinge but works fine. I thought I'd repair myself with epoxy but decided with the two dogs and the inlaws I'd almost never have it in. Any one want it for half price$325? Probably had an elbow rest on it maybe a half dozen times. Would send pics

I have a beige leather with Obeche mat wood rear armrest (2nd one) with a slight crack on hinge but works fine. I thought I'd repair myself with epoxy but decided with the two dogs and the inlaws I'd almost never have it in. Any one want it for half price$325? Probably had an elbow rest on it maybe a half dozen times. Would send pics
Do you still have the premium rear console for sale? If so, please email me at [email protected].

Anyone got other suggestions for limiting how much the lid can open? I'm considering doing the same as below, but I'm just thinking that making screw holes, although the lesser of two evils compared to a broken hinge, is still an "evil".

I had my lid replaced by Tesla a few months ago, after some back and forth (first they said all they could do was sell me a new rear console!!).

Added a restraining strap to the lid on my rear console to eliminate the stress caused by opening it too far. All it took was a sturdy tie-wrap and one small sheet metal screw...and a touch of black paint for the screw.
View attachment 153491

After about 6 months with very little use, my console lid hinge has cracked. Looks like I have to go get on the merry go round with Tesla to get a refund or replacement. I will ask them if I can go ahead & make a "repair" without effecting the warranty.

IMG_0101.JPG

I sent e-mail with photos to customer service in Fremont as well as my local SC in Charlotte. I will update as I get replies. Console is not listed in Tesla Shop anymore but I have not checked there in a while. Not sure what course of action we have if they have given up on it. I will look for Tesla's reply.

I've got a tan obeche mat rear console that I'm willing to sell as I upgraded my S and it no longer matches my car. It's been used only a handful of times. It's lived most of its life in my garage in the bag it came in.

PM me.

I sent e-mail with photos to customer service in Fremont as well as my local SC in Charlotte. I will update as I get replies. Console is not listed in Tesla Shop anymore but I have not checked there in a while. Not sure what course of action we have if they have given up on it. I will look for Tesla's reply.

I got a call from my Service Center early this morning--which is nice! However, they know of no fix, have none in stock (obviously) and have no way of getting any from Fremont. The only course of action at this point is to wait to hear back from the order department before I try to home remedy the broken plastic. INHALE... (holding my breath!)

Reactions: Jimmy 1
I got a call from my Service Center early this morning--which is nice! However, they know of no fix, have none in stock (obviously) and have no way of getting any from Fremont. The only course of action at this point is to wait to hear back from the order department before I try to home remedy the broken plastic. INHALE... (holding my breath!)
Is a refund one of the options? I'd use it towards a front console since I have none...