Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Upgrades Package (PUP)

Premium Upgrades Package?

• Yes

Votes: 236 90.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 9.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "loaded" pre-owned 2012 Model S that we purchased from Tesla last year has spoiled us, so PUP for sure on the Model 3.

We're actually impressed that all of the added features in the PUP only cost a total of $5K. Tesla is doing a great job of keeping prices reasonable.

Yes, one can "option out" a Model 3 north of $60K, but there's good reason for that - Tesla is offering real value in pretty much all of those options. No dealer fluff like "paint protectors", Lo-Jack, etc. Okay, well I admit that we'd rather not have to pay an extra $1K just to not have black paint, but that's relatively minor.

• Informative
Reactions: smartypnz and Runt8
I had been assuming that like the S that white would be an option in the PUP package. Do we have reason to believe that isn't the case?

Yes, because Tesla's M3 FAQ page says:

Which future options will be made available to order, and when?
We are planning to introduce the following options in the coming months:

Fall 2017: White interior option, standard configuration (non-Premium Upgrades)

Ha, I've read that probably 10 times and it just sunk in. Thanks.
There was a conversation on Reddit about this and here is the way I understand that.

Right now, you can only buy the 3 with Long Range and the PUP, so premium black seats.
Come Fall, you will have three choices, because you can then choose to not get the PUP. The options being:
  • Standard, textile black seats
  • Buy PUP, choose premium black seats
  • Buy PUP, choose premium white seats
I don't believe there will be an additional cost to choose white premium seats. Look at the S options. Premium seats are not included in the PUP, but if you choose them, you can choose your color at no extra cost, I don't see any reason for it to be different in the 3.

There was a conversation on Reddit about this and here is the way I understand that.

Right now, you can only buy the 3 with Long Range and the PUP, so premium black seats.
Come Fall, you will have three choices, because you can then choose to not get the PUP. The options being:
I don't believe there will be an additional cost to choose white premium seats. Look at the S options. Premium seats are not included in the PUP, but if you choose them, you can choose your color at no extra cost, I don't see any reason for it to be different in the 3.

Currently the black-leather-like seats are included in PUP. Do you think they will still be included with PUP inn the fall? Or will it be another few thousands...

Well crap, now I am confused again. I had just read that to mean come fall you'd have a choice of white or black basic interior or upgraded premium black. What you described is what I had hoped would be be case.

Currently the black-leather-like seats are included in PUP. Do you think they will still be included with PUP inn the fall? Or will it be another few thousands...
I think it will be either don't get the PUP and get black textile seats, OR, buy the PUP for the $5,000, and have a free choice between either black or white premium seats.

The PUP gets you a center console, and doesn't mention the rear seat armest, which I presume is standard. I see the PUP as getting the driver an armest, which is one reason I'm getting it.
  • Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones
I'm fairly certain this is referring to the space under the screen being covered or not, not the console between the seats. The reason I say that is that the charging cables at the Model 3 Accessories page include an image of the installation instructions, which show the phone docking being at that forward position.
M3_Phone_Dock_1.jpg

I assume the center console/armrest is standard, or they'd have called out "driver arm rest" on the PUP description

I think it will be either don't get the PUP and get black textile seats, OR, buy the PUP for the $5,000, and have a free choice between either black or white premium seats.
this is what i figured... i wouldn't think they would offer white textile seats.

but as far as the $5k.. seems like a great value compared to old model s a la carte

premium seats/interior upgrade: $3300
sound: $2500 (before incl with PUP)
so everything else looks free...

at least that will be my fuzzy math to rationalize getting PUP

• Funny
Reactions: EchoDelta
PUP sounds like good value to me.

Even if you want only some of the included items.

I believe it will make it easier to sell when the time comes. That way you will recover some of the cost, but you get to use it until then. Of course you will not recover the whole price or even most of it, but it will help you sell your car quicker.