Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Upgrades Package (PUP)

Premium Upgrades Package?

• Yes

Votes: 236 90.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 9.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I literally don't think you know what literally means.

I literally don't care what you think.

les-miles-picking-his-ear1.gif

You understand that there is no DIN slot in the Tesla 3 for installation of an aftermarket radio right? Please tell me you understand that.

Installing a double DIN carplay capable aftermarket in our Acura MDX, which DID have a radio, just in a custom enclosure, ended up costing $2,000.

I can only imagine what having someone fabricate an enclosure in the Model 3 and splice into the onboard computer is going to cost.

I wouldn't mess with the head unit, or in this case the center display. All I would do is use a 5 channel amplifier and replace the speakers. Finding a way to line input to the center display would take some exploring. The reason I decided against this in my MS and paid for the upgrade was I was afraid of taxing the little 12V, or risking anything related to the warranty.

With the PUP you get "Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones" Was it ever confirmed that this included wireless charging? The reason I ask is the iPhone X will now have wireless charging via the AirPower pad. Would this phone be able to take advantage of what Tesla is using?

With the PUP you get "Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones" Was it ever confirmed that this included wireless charging? The reason I ask is the iPhone X will now have wireless charging via the AirPower pad. Would this phone be able to take advantage of what Tesla is using?

Small caveat and super OT but you dont need the airpower pad to charge. Just a Qi device.

Watch this video from Motor Trend and it will answer your question about how the phone works with the center console. Go to about 1:10 on the video and you will see Franz from Tesla demonstrating how the console works by actually using his own phone. When he puts his phone in the center console he pushes down on the phone to lock it in place and you can see his "battery charging" icon light up on his phone. (when you go to the link, scroll down a little to get to the video)
Video Exclusive: A Closer Look at the Tesla Model 3’s Interior - Motor Trend

• Helpful
Reactions: Trips
I was under the impression that no charging was “included” - it’s more of a space with nearby USB ports and the type of charging depends on what cables you install.

According to Motor Trend there are no cables needed:

"The Model 3’s smartphone integration is second to none. The area beneath the touchscreen houses twin lightning ports and snugly fits two iPhones. The design allows two phones to charge simultaneously. When charging, the phones are perfectly angled toward the driver and passenger. In the video, von Holzhausen whips out his iPhone 7 Plus and has it plugged in and charging in under 3 seconds. No fiddling with cables here."

• Helpful
  • Disagree
Reactions: jsmay311 and Trips

"The Model 3’s smartphone integration is second to none. The area beneath the touchscreen houses twin lightning ports and snugly fits two iPhones. The design allows two phones to charge simultaneously. When charging, the phones are perfectly angled toward the driver and passenger. In the video, von Holzhausen whips out his iPhone 7 Plus and has it plugged in and charging in under 3 seconds. No fiddling with cables here."

How about two iPhone 5.8" Xs??

There are cables, but the end clips into the dock somehow and you just push your phone down onto it to dock it.

Model 3 Phone Charging Cable

Reactions: heysteveh
Yeah, who ya gonna trust, me or a link to the tesla store model 3 phone charging cables for sale.. lol

Or Twitter a picture of the owners manual showing how to install the cables

And? Do you think every phone supports wireless charging? Of course they have to have cables available. That doesn't change any of the reviews that said that it supports wireless charging. E.g.:

Tesla Model 3 first drive: this is the car that Elon Musk promised

"I opened up one closest to the dashboard and discovered a rubbery charging pad for my phone, no wires required"

Exclusive: Tesla Model 3 First Drive Review - Motor Trend

Franz’ car is a loaded version—a Premium (add $5,000), meaning better-grade materials, wood-veneered dash, 12-way front seats, 12-speaker sound, heated rear seats, side-by-side inductive phone chargers, and that panoramic glass ceiling that nevertheless protects like SPF 90 sunscreen

Etc. Yes, they could all be wrong. Funny that nobody saw fit to correct any of them.

Also there's at least one video out there from a test drive where a person has a phone charging and says its wireless. It would also be a stupid thing to leave out, given that PUP is $5000 and a wireless charging pad is $10-15. Retail.

I'll trust the wording from tesla.. no mention of wireless charging, it mentions docking with premium, and usb ports with std trim
Std:
  • Center console with open storage and two USB port
Premium:

• Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones.
Docking, not wireless charging, no doubt there will soon be an aftermarket wireless charging pad to fit, but no sign of an offical tesla wireless charging solution that I consider reliable. Just some poorly chosen words in one review. "Wireless" probably just means he didnt have to grab a wire (cable) and plug it in

Also there's at least one video out there from a test drive where a person has a phone charging and says its wireless.

Link?
M3_Phone_Dock_1.jpeg

If the cables are only backup for phones without inductive charging, the instructions would require you to disconnect the wireless charger. There has been no mention, comment, statement, picture, video, or hint of wireless charging from anyone at Tesla.

" In the video, von Holzhausen whips out his iPhone 7 Plus and has it plugged in and charging in under 3 seconds" -Motor Trend.