Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pressure wash model3 at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be cautious about that. Because of the VOC laws in California, Tesla has to use different paint from most car companies that is on the soft side. There have been complaints since the Model S came along about how soft the paint is on Teslas. I haven't had many problems. I have one rock chip in the paint on my hood, but otherwise the paint has held up well. I still hand wash the car though. I'll spray it down with the normal hose with a spray attachment, but it doesn't have the force a pressure washer would have.

I’ve been using a pressure washer but I’ve only washed my Model 3 a few times so far. I make sure to try and go past the sensors and other potentially fragile parts quickly and keep the nozzle a further distance from those areas. Only issue I had was after my first wash I needed my charge port door replaced, but this was a known issue and Tesla has a newer door with better seals now. My Model 3 is in the 72XX VIN range, but more recently built Model 3’s should have been built with the newer charge port door so this shouldn’t be an issue for most.

• Informative
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
I've used a pressure washer on my car weekly since I got it. I use a 25 degree nozzle and about 2100 psi from an electric washer. I've been washing expensive cars for years with one, it's safe if you use common sense. Watch a few videos on how to do it, all of the pro detailers use one.

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
I've used a pressure washer on my car weekly since I got it. I use a 25 degree nozzle and about 2100 psi from an electric washer. I've been washing expensive cars for years with one, it's safe if you use common sense. Watch a few videos on how to do it, all of the pro detailers use one.
Could you share GPM and how far away you hold your nozzle from surface?

I've used a pressure washer to wash all of my cars for years and have never damaged anything.

Many residential pressure washers include an adjustable nozzle or multiple nozzles that provide different flow control for different applications.

Mine has three, and they are color coded. the red one directs all of the water pressure into a very thin stream that is powerful enough to not only remove stains from concrete, but etch the concrete. Clearly using that on something like a car would result in serious damage.

On the other hand the "mild" tip provides spray at a larger angle with less force and is safe to use on just about anything and certainly cars.

I also use a foam lance to suds up the car, also with my pressure washer.

Pressure wash your auto? Are you guys @#$%ing nuts?

What do you think even a 1200 PSI washer does to the grit and dirt sitting on the paint before it "washes off"? It pushes it into the paint. Can you say swirl marks?

I'm not even going to get into how anyone can expect wax to stay on the car with a pressure washer.

If you want the finish to last, stop being lazy and wash by hand. Take care of your baby.

Pressure wash your auto? Are you guys @#$%ing nuts?

What do you think even a 1200 PSI washer does to the grit and dirt sitting on the paint before it "washes off"? It pushes it into the paint. Can you say swirl marks?

I'm not even going to get into how anyone can expect wax to stay on the car with a pressure washer.

If you want the finish to last, stop being lazy and wash by hand. Take care of your baby.

Not sure if trolling? You do realize that every reputable detailer uses a pressure washer right?

Not sure if trolling? You do realize that every reputable detailer uses a pressure washer right?

Yeah, because it is FAST and they have dozens to hundreds of cars to wash. NOT because it is the BEST option for the paint. They know they are not washing the car long term, just long enough to sell it and get it off the lot.

Go to a high-end car show. No one there that knows what they are doing uses a power washer on their car. They will laugh you out of the show for suggesting such a thing.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, compares to a good, old-fashioned hand wash. It takes time, but it is second to none. It is also the first step in getting that "showroom finish".