Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cleo, Thanks for your help in labeling me with a M.O. That’s nice of you. But you show up late to the eMMC threads and read one or two posts and make up your mind. Good to know.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and presuming you are smart enough to know that my comment about entertaining was to scarelli and somewhat of a dare that he’s not going to get a free MCU2 upgrade. Keep ME informed. Maybe you don’t. Who knows? It was not a canvas statement that I am entertained and I do not find it amusing that anyone is having MCU problems.

My MCU1 problems are behind me now because I upgraded. I didn’t earn a medal for it; just lucky it was finally available. I lived with my share of MCU1 problems.

I’ve been around long enough to know as a consumer why recalls exists. Those consumer products that often entail an upgraded component? That’s what the 64 GB eMMC daughterboard is. Its an improvement over the original design. But MCU2 is upgrade. The intent of the replacement product is to make someone/some product whole. The improved replacement product would be nice and hopefully exceed the life or specs of the original. The improved 64 GB board still makes the consumer whole again. In this case the MCU2 upgrade would be a windfall far exceeding the intent of the design for those cars and offered as an paid for option. Maybe you didn't know that?

I paid for mine. But I sincerely hope Tesla simply gives remaining MCU1 car owner the MCU2 upgrade for free. I don’t think its owed to anyone. We knowingly bought these cars when we did. We were ignorant of the poor design. We took a chance as early adopters. If all early adopters had waited until some time after March 2018 when MCU2 cars were produced, we would all have avoided this problem. Of course, had we waited there would likely be no early adopters because the company would have folded long before 2018. So, Uncle Elon, if you are reading this, give everyone a free MCU2 upgrade and all of you thank Cleo for the idea.

We can agree to disagree - and I promise not to push you into Diamond Head next time I'm on Oahu.

Oops - I may get banished to the snippy thread for the above.

While you are correct that Tesla does not "owe" us an upgrade...

The company does "owe" us a vehicle that properly functions after it made the poor decision to sell a vehicle with inevitable failure on the menu.

If that fix entails an upgrade - that's on Tesla. Not on me.

It has been shown before that Tesla now knows remotely which eMMC chip you have. Chips replaced by 3rd parties are detected unless using exact same Micron 64GB chip that Tesla uses.

It's likely they are not offering the replacement, if you already have it fixed. Even if it was done by 3rd party.
That is true. However owners who replaced before still should qualify for reimbursement for paying for the recalled issue before it was recalled.

How do I go about checking if my 2016 Model S qualifies for the recall. I have the VIN Number and thanks. What site do I go to or do I just call Tesla or go to the nearest service center and have them check. Again Thanks

Most Common FAQ
Q: Is my Model S/X affected by this recall?

A: All owners can check if their VIN is affected at either the Tesla VIN Recall Search or the NHTSA VIN Recall Search.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Aha, they tell you to put in your 17 character VIN number. Mine was two or three More! yes it was. I called NHTSA and got a real good guy. He checked TWO sites. Not the one given and was able to bring up my car AND that it qualified for the recall!! So if you have the same problem I had call NHTSA.

bring your Tesla phone app up, scroll to the bottom, and in between your mileage and firmware version is your VIN: are you saying there is not 17 characters there?

Show me just one time that some auto manufacturer replaced a standard component with their upgraded component. If you had a car with a 4 cylinder engine and the cylinder head failed or cracked, you really think they owe you a V8 engine just because they make one? Keep us posted please. Its going to be entertaining to read.

This is very common... even Tesla replaces V1/V2 door handles with V3... an engine isn't really a single component.. but if there was a bad component within the engine, a good manufacturer will make a revision to it so they don't have to deal with rework under warranty.

Tesla Fanboy much?? Tesla clearly failed here.. I do wish them success, but treating their customers like crap is not part of that recipe...

This is very common... even Tesla replaces V1/V2 door handles with V3... an engine isn't really a single component.. but if there was a bad component within the engine, a good manufacturer will make a revision to it so they don't have to deal with rework under warranty.

Tesla Fanboy much?? Tesla clearly failed here.. I do wish them success, but treating their customers like crap is not part of that recipe...
When my Gen 1 charger failed and burned itself up a couple years ago, Tesla replaced it with a brand-new Gen 2 unit.

Hmmm... sounds like an instance when a manufacturer replaced the inferior item with the new-and-improved.

I would bet a shipment of Pfizer vaccine that Tesla wouldn't do the same today. (This was when the friendly mobile ranger used to come out).

I've sparred with my friend Akikiki previously - so I won't direct this at him specifically. But this conversation reminded me about my charger challenges a few years back.

It has been shown before that Tesla now knows remotely which eMMC chip you have. Chips replaced by 3rd parties are detected unless using exact same Micron 64GB chip that Tesla uses.

It's likely they are not offering the replacement, if you already have it fixed. Even if it was done by 3rd party.
Indeed, although I replaced mine myself and know it's not the same part # tesla uses, yet I got the recall email from Tesla... so either they are notifying folks anyway, or had not cross-checked the chip ID database yet...

Also, I talked to a Ranger and mentioned that I incurred costs for repair myself, and his (admittedly uninformed) take is that Tesla is only likely to want to reimburse repair costs for that done at Service Centers.... although I plan to argue that point if they take that stance...

@scaesare. I think you have a valid argument. I hope you succeed. Sincerely. I try to match that same scenario to other manufacturers.
An owner maybe on vacation had to take their car to some hole-in-the-wall garage in the middle of nowhere because their was no ASE certified mechanic/shop. And got a repair. So they take the receipt in to their regular dealership and asked for assistance getting reimbursement. And its refused because 'that manufacturer does not recognize 3rd party repairs from non-ASE certified shops". I know there's many 3rd party repair facilities around the world. (I know because I have a list of about 20 businesses and individual people that are replacing eMMCs outside Tesla SCs). So, do you think Tesla would reject those cost/repairs because they didn't "authorize" the 3rd party repair? I hope you are right for the sake of people that had no other option available and were out the money to fix their cars.

Reactions: scaesare