Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to all for wealth of information in this thread, I've been following it since the beginning for informational purposes. My question is not completely related to eMMC replacement but in the same realm and because there are so many knowledgeable minds in this thread, I hope it fits:

Is there a possibility to upgrade MCU1 CPU? I mean, on a PC you can swap a CPU to a faster one with the same socket. Is there a faster compatible CPU for MCU1? If yes, is it possible to swap them?

PC processor swaps are limited to generations a motherboard can support. If someone were to source a compatible processor it could likely be done, and depending on the compatibility a recompile of the kernel may be needed. If someone were to do one may need to completely go off the grid as a update from tesla could totally brick the car.

• Informative
Reactions: ABC2D
I’ve got a 2013 P85 with about 68k mikes on it. Original owner. Have streamed Slacker and Tunein since day 1. Also had Waze running on the car before the browser became totally unusable. Still on original MCU1, do don’t think streaming affects the life of the eMMC. I do have energy saving turned ON so that the car goes to sleep after a period of non-use.

epi
I’ve got a 2013 P85 with about 68k mikes on it. Original owner. Have streamed Slacker and Tunein since day 1. Also had Waze running on the car before the browser became totally unusable. Still on original MCU1, do don’t think streaming affects the life of the eMMC. I do have energy saving turned ON so that the car goes to sleep after a period of non-use.

Streaming does cache, so there is more writes, however that does not compare the to logging of the system.

In the US you can send me the Terga, I can help you make a backup. Since you have the chip out I would suggest you have the eMMC replaced. The backup is only good until your certificate expires. Once on a new eMMC and current firmware, you should be safe from eMMC issues.
Great! I'm over in NC, but no problem pulling it and shipping. Are you able to swap the eMMC as well?

If I decide to change emmc chip from original 8 Gb to Swissbit 64 Gb, am I need to expand all four partition or leave it like it was on the original chip?
Unless you are.. um... "augmenting" the system with a significant amount of special sauce, then leave the original partitions as is, and the unpartitioned space can be wear-leveled.

I'm glad people are considering being proactive about this.

For those interested in insulating themselves against losing their critical car-specific data, but aren't interested in undertaking the more significant job of unsoldering their original chip just yet, there's an interim solution (as has been referenced above) that requires removing/disassembling the MCU, but not disordering.

You can send a PM for details. (Altough to be sure, if you won your car long enough, you are going to be disordering anyway... so consider carefully)

Reactions: TonyT
If I decide to change emmc chip from original 8 Gb to Swissbit 64 Gb, am I need to expand all four partition or leave it like it was on the original chip?
Leave the original partitioning. The unused space will be used by the chip for wear levelling (it is similar to the way a disk interface remaps bad sectors to unused areas of a disk).

Anyone in UK able to do this mod?

Tesla should change the software so that you can insert a 64GB USB2 stick in the USB port and choose to have all logs and data calls diverted to that instead. This would stop the majority of writes to the onboard SSD. Might be a bit slower but doubt we are shifting GB/Sec of data here.

Most of the logs in the video appear to be syslog messages. If true, as I remember, syslog can be configured to log more or less or none at all. Since it has been five years since I messed with syslog, am I remembering this correctly? Hopefully this logging is only happening while the car is awake or being driven and not while it is sleeping.