Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone in UK able to do this mod?

Tesla should change the software so that you can insert a 64GB USB2 stick in the USB port and choose to have all logs and data calls diverted to that instead. This would stop the majority of writes to the onboard SSD. Might be a bit slower but doubt we are shifting GB/Sec of data here.

@LuckyLuke in the Netherlands can help you.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Hi Guys, Ive been trying to repair my MCU1 for a while now and having no luck with file recovery, I have DD-rescued the chip a few times with 99.97% rate of extraction but Partition 3 is a no go along with anything else. Has anyone got the files/partitions or some sort of backup/copy of the MMC that I could copy to mine to get the thing to boot up? After that point I have someone in tesla saying if they can log onto it they should be able to do the certs.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Hi Guys, Ive been trying to repair my MCU1 for a while now and having no luck with file recovery, I have DD-rescued the chip a few times with 99.97% rate of extraction but Partition 3 is a no go along with anything else. Has anyone got the files/partitions or some sort of backup/copy of the MMC that I could copy to mine to get the thing to boot up? After that point I have someone in tesla saying if they can log onto it they should be able to do the certs.

Thanks in advance
You mainly need the OpenVPN keys, the rest is not needed. You really want to have p3...

Reactions: scaesare and TonyT
It's firmware version related not car age as far as we can tell. and we've looked at the logs ;) There are also multiple source confirmation of this in the forums.

That is not obvious to me from what green tweeted. ?

6kRyvIR.jpg

KKgJQiy.jpg

Reactions: ABC2D

Thanks in advance

If you have the proper tesla help you are fine. However this is usually the hardest part. Getting the right person to
Looks like the gzipped file size is about 50% of what it was pre-update based on that image.
50% reduction will matter to newer cars (double the life), but on cars that the flash is already worn out, it will still kill them.

The logging is currently reduced to what it appears to when car is in use. Also turned to lower logging levels. So it will extend life. Also I think they are actively working the issue. So we will need to keep watching. @T.R.T.e.s.l.a. @scottf200

He can only program it if they can talk to the MCU so it needs to be responsive, he mentioned something about having the kernal running, I am guessing its on partitions 1,2 and 4?

I meant to say your friend should be able to restore the files for you if you build a fresh image for your Terga even without a recovery. 3 and 4 are where they run, but can be rebuilt. 1 and 2 are the image files. All can be rebuilt except for the key files on 3. Those need to be recovered, or restored by Tech with the right access.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I meant to say your friend should be able to restore the files for you if you build a fresh image for your Terga even without a recovery. 3 and 4 are where they run, but can be rebuilt. 1 and 2 are the image files. All can be rebuilt except for the key files on 3. Those need to be recovered, or restored by Tech with the right access.

He works for Telsa service as apposed to being a low level pro, so I guess all he can do is plug it in and update or configure it.

Could I not use someone elses backup without the certs? then he plugs it in and configures the car. or does that sound too easy?

If not how could we rebuild a fresh image?

Any help is greatly appreciated as you can probably tell, I am not that clued up with it just yet...

Thanks

I replaced my eMMC in my P85 (2014).
A good explanation to disassemble the dashboard and take out the display can be found in this Youtube movie:
(starts around the 17th min)
The only mistake are 2 screws above the steering wheel, to easily lift the dashboard. You should remove a cover first.
upload_2019-11-24_12-1-12.png

After taking out the MCU I brought it to Dennis from "All Systems Go" in Terneuzen (Netherlands). Perfect service. He works together with someone from this forum and they read out the important files before desoldering. Replaced the old eMMC with a new one (16GB). Not all partitions were perfectly readable, so they gave me a clean version (reset). Technical details can be found in earlier posts here.
Well done for a good price and very fast.