Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prices just Dropped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is now $2,200 (LR AWD, w/FSD and white interior) less than I paid three weeks ago :( That's more the amount of the federal tax credit decline - TSLA stock will plummet tomorrow as this signals what many have fears - softening demand..... I will push for a free Acceleration upgrade with Telsa - under protest!

TSLA down $3 after being up about $6 yesterday.

FWIW, if you ordered a P3 and try the "Edit" option to get the new price (roughly $5K less), you'll see changes in the MVOA. Here are the differences in my MVOA:

1. LR AWD Performance dropped from 24,500 to 14,590
2. Performance Upgrade went from "Included" to 5,000
3. Performance Brakes is missing
4. Carbon Fiber Spoiler is missing
5. Performance Pedals is missing

I don't know if items 3-5 are now implied by #2 increasing by 5K or not.

looks like my awd lr config nets about to be close to the same price with the halved tax rebate but i am a little annoyed still because the P3 came down like 5 grand or so, i would have bought that model for 5k more, 10k was too much IMO for speed and wheels. oh well. still love the car

When I went to Japan a few years ago on a vacation, it was VERY refreshing to find out that "tipping" is not a thing (they were confused by it.. "the price includes good service so what is tipping for?") and taxes were included in pricing too. The price you saw for an item was the price you paid. If something was 14,500 yen, when you paid for it, thats what you paid. I was there 2 weeks and left wondering... "wtf are we doing at home in the US?!?!?"

Same with the tax being included in the shown prices in most of EU too.

US has indeed gone too far with the tipping culture... you're expected to tip even if no or bad service is provided. One example: I truly hate how I'm expected to tip even when picking up takeout. I'm surprised we don't have to tip at the cashier in supermarkets too :rolleyes:

Spot on.

I'm a lousy American, and hate hidden fees too. Taxes should be included in any price display, too. But what do I know?

I paid what I paid for my Model 3. Whatever they charge someone else today, isn't my concern. If they decide the car sells for $500 and includes a free puppy, then that's a deal for someone. I was satisfied with the price I paid, when I paid it, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased it. Whatever pricing other people get doesn't change that one iota.

I would offer that you may care when the day comes for you to sell or trade your M3. We look forward to reading your future post on how happy you were with your trade in value - just sayin.... ;)

Reactions: dmurphy
I would offer that you may care when the day comes for you to sell or trade your M3. We look forward to reading your future post on how happy you were with your trade in value - just sayin.... ;)

Zero intentions of trading or selling. This will be a hand-me-down vehicle when my son graduates high school in 6 years. Hoping for a future where he never needs to drive a gasoline vehicle.

Chasing trade-in values is a lost cause, anyway. Automobiles are depreciating assets, except for collector items.

edit to add: Thus far, even with the price changes that have taken place in Year 1, it seems like the "my trade in value!!111!!" argument is just a boogeyman. Hasn't seemed to hurt a thing - resale value of Model 3 appears to be holding its own quite, quite well. Too well, almost.

Last edited:
Same with the tax being included in the shown prices in most of EU too.

US has indeed gone too far with the tipping culture... you're expected to tip even if no or bad service is provided. One example: I truly hate how I'm expected to tip even when picking up takeout. I'm surprised we don't have to tip at the cashier in supermarkets too :rolleyes:
I refuse to tip for take out. That is total BS.

Reactions: P-Lo801 and jebinc
FWIW, if you ordered a P3 and try the "Edit" option to get the new price (roughly $5K less), you'll see changes in the MVOA. Here are the differences in my MVOA:

Looks like 3-5 are included, based on going through the “custom build” configuration pages.

Model 3 LR AWD, Pearl White, Black Interior, 18" Aero wheel build with FSD is now $53,990 (As of 7/16/19)

I got the same build ordered and delivered by June 30 for $57,400.

That $3,410 cheaper now than few weeks ago.

With the benefit of the additional $1,875 ($3,750 vs $1,875) i received by getting the delivery in by 6/30, I've effectively spent $1,535 more just a few weeks ago then what it costs to get the exact build now.

I was fine with dealing with the pearl white paint being standard color after 7/1 as the benefit of tax incentive ($1,875) will wash away the $1,500 I'd lose out by ordering white in June (as opposed to waiting in July) but this additional price cut of $1.5k was unexpected.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Hans_TM3
Model 3 LR AWD, Pearl White, Black Interior build with FSD is now $53,990 (As of 7/16/19)

I got the same build ordered and delivered by June 30 for $58,600.

That $4,610 cheaper now than few weeks ago.

With the benefit of the additional $1,875 ($3,750 vs $1,875) i received by getting the delivery in by 6/30, I've effectively spent $2,735 more just a few weeks ago then what it costs to get the exact build now.

I was fine with dealing with the pearl white paint being standard color after 7/1 as the benefit of tax incentive ($1,875) will wash away the $1,500 I'd lose out by ordering white in June (as opposed to waiting in July), but this additional price cut of nearly $3k is on another level.

Your old price likely includes destination fees and the new one doesn’t. Double check the first page of your order sheet and wheels.

I also forget that you would’ve paid $6,000 versus $5,000 for FSD.

LOL. So to stop the whining, people should have to use a traditional dealer so they can pretend they are getting a good deal. I much prefer Tesla’s model. Americans have this love affair with hiding the true cost of just about everything. From forced tipping to cable bills with lines of add on fees, nothing is straightforward. Tesla has every right to change prices to meet their goals, and I’m fine with that. I’ve been driving my $60k Model 3 LR RWD for a year now and have no regrets.

I think that the direct sales model is a mistake that lowers profitability and maximizes consumer hate aimed at the manufacturer. Tesla could get away with it while the product is cool and competition non-existent. I would not be surprised to see Tesla 'succumb to the dealer lobby,' as die-hards would put it, but in my book it would be good for profitability.

Your old price likely includes destination fees and the new one doesn’t. Double check the first page of your order sheet and wheels.

I also forget that you would’ve paid $6,000 versus $5,000 for FSD.

I stand corrected on the destination fee. Thanks for pointing that out. Will edit the original comment.

Wheels are both 18" Aero.

I paid $6k for FSD few weeks ago, and I believe that has not changed as of yet.

If getting the off-menu 18" wheels means a straight removal of the performance upgrade package (P3D-), then the acceleration increase is only a 2k difference vs LR AWD now.

LR AWD: $47,990
P3D+: $54,990
P3D-: $49,990 (To be confirmed)

I guess the question is did the prices really have to drop? Maybe with all the news headlines of record selling 90k+ cars for the quarter has them concerned that they won't be able to keep pace without constant price drops. They can't keep dropping prices forever. Maybe it is time for a little advertising instead of price drops?

I guess the question is did the prices really have to drop? Maybe with all the news headlines of record selling 90k+ cars for the quarter has them concerned that they won't be able to keep pace without constant price drops. They can't keep dropping prices forever. Maybe it is time for a little advertising instead of price drops?

I imagine it has more to do with the US Federal tax credit halving again than the deliveries. Once the federal credit is gone, prices should stabilize.

Status
Not open for further replies.