TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pricing on CPOs - market status?

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by deaddog, Jun 14, 2018.

1. deaddog

deaddog Member

I'm seeing a lot of CPOs (mainly P85d and 90d) that are priced "reasonably" and appear to be priced under what I'm seeing advertised on cars.com, here, and elsewhere - and these are CPOs with a 4/50k warranty. They are reasonably equipped 2015s (next gen seats, AP, ultra hifi) with reasonably low miles (25-40K) pricing out at 70K or less.

Is the market taking a turn? Or are these cars "beat" given that CPO's are no longer cosmetically refurbished.

2. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

I think the market is adjusting appropriately. P85Ds have been listing/selling between $70-80k since last year. I think it's fair to see them in the $60-70k range now.

3. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

I rejected 2 P85Ds before I found the one I bought. I was lucky to get one of the last P85D's to be fully refurbished. But alas i want an X so it's for sale.

Tesla's pricing is sure all over the place though.

• Love x 1
  4. deaddog

deaddog Member

I don't disagree. But the private seller market appears to be well over 70 with no ESA. Maybe it's just the negotiating delta but that seems high.

• Like x 1
  5. Skeeboe

Skeeboe Member

Private sellers can obviously ask whatever they like but in reality, the final sales price is usually less than the asking price. Many dealers (Tesla included) have established “No Haggle” pricing but if inventory doesn’t sell, the price will come down (eventually). It seems Tesla has adopted a daily drop in price strategy lately with the mindset someone will pull the trigger when it gets low enough (which they do). To me the way Tesla does it is almost auction like except the prices go down until there’s “action” instead of a bidding up process. I’ve been in the market for a used Tesla for a couple of months now. In my opinion, the prices are still a little rich comparatively speaking but there are deals to be had if you’re patient and savvy...

6. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

there are some deals but remember that if you buy from a dealer you will not be able to buy an ESA from Tesla. So try to get a Tesla with warranty or from a private seller so you can buy an ESA if you want.

7. hmmm

hmmm Member

Agreed. There are a couple "out there" in the mid-upper 60s that have yet to move...there were a couple of good ones in the 62's a couple of weeks ago that moved really (really) quickly.

I think Q4 is going to be interesting to watch because a bunch of 2yr leases from the fire sale from Q3 2016 will hit the market then.

8. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

Is your P85D listed anywhere?

9. SSedan

SSedan Member

Given the performance, equipment, pricing, range of the current 75D I think the 85Kwh stuff is overpriced. Has the basic equipment/performance/range of a 2014 P85 and AP hardware equipped.........

10. hmmm

hmmm Member

That. Especially as the SC network is getting denser and range becomes less of a concern in many areas.

11. Fobble

Fobble Member

The new motor with 75 kwh has same 256 mile range as the old 85 kwh. I am sure TM will release the new 85 kwh with 300 miles soon.
    Being that, current pre-owned price on older technology is overpriced, IMO. I would like to see 3-year old car to be around 40% off the original MSRP. This means that the loaded 2015 pre-owned 85D should be priced around $48-$55k or so with warranty, instead of the current $60-65k price range.

• Like x 1
  12. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Member

#12 Cheburashka, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    I often notice that prices here are often 5-10K higher, if not more, than Tesla CPO with warranty.

Most owners seem to have unrealistic expectations of what their cars are worth.

I find it amusing when people post their 2-3 year old 85 at close to the same price as a brand new 75D after tax credits.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  13. CA_MD

CA_MD Member

Agreed. It’s as if they’re looking for a sucker.

I’m debating between a refreshed AP1 vs AP2 model S. The August full self driving roll out concerns me in being stuck in ‘old tech’ w an AP1 car. I wonder what effect that will have on resale prices. Kind of like a model S with no AP.

14. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

Yep, Portland. it's the white one.

15. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

Ah, yes, I've seen that one. It's quite nice.

16. DanCar

DanCar Member

ev-cpo.com site has been down for a few hours. Says it will be back up in 20 minutes each time.

17. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

I wonder if @HankLloydRight is aware?

• Like x 1
  18. azsmartbet

azsmartbet Member

I recently passed on a 2016 p90s w ludicrous for 83k

19. Zorg

Zorg Member

CPO pricing sets the ceiling. Unless Tesla lowers MSRP I expect used prices to go up as incentives go away in the next year.

20. Anthonym9589

Anthonym9589 Member

Wow when did they stop doing the refurbishing?

I actually just put a deposit on a cpo model s from Tesla and the pictures were sent to me of the actual car yesterday and the car has some serious cosmetic flaws (very bad road rash on the wheels, multiple scratches, bumper guard is pretty trashed). Ironically I just emailed the sales associate to see if these would be fixed.