TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pricing on CPOs - market status?

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by deaddog, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

The new Tesla CPO program is terrible - they now just do a "70-point inspection" and since you can't see or drive the car you don't know if it will come with dings, curb rash, etc... Pretty sleazy for a car of this price.

Still beats overpaying $10K on the private market though, at least you get a warranty!

• Like x 1
  2. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

I agree. The key is to find one that is in great shape, which is hard if they don't send the pictures. I've read that the only way you receive the pictures is once you place a deposit. Otherwise, in my experience, pictures will never be sent (I've requested pictures on 5 different vehicles and have yet to receive a response).

• Informative x 3
  3. Fobble

Fobble Member

Not necessarily true, as new model years continue to pack in features as standard, which used to be options. Future CPO price may appear to be high, but the car is loaded with features. Looking at 2014/2015 pre-owned, many are pretty bare-boned.

4. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Last summer I was speaking to a Chicago area CPO rep and all they want is a deposit. Not "are you interested in one of these" strictly "what is your CC number and which car do you want it applied to. Ended up buying from a used lot associated with a Ford dealer. Miles meant Tesla wouldn't pay him enough as trade on his new one.

5. DanCar

DanCar Active Member

#25 DanCar, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Agree. CPOs with AP2 will come with full self driving (FSD) enabled. The value of these cars will rise several thousand dollars over time as Musk makes good on his promise. :) Audio is going to charge $8K next year for their level 3 cars: https://plus.google.com/u/1/+DanielCardenas/posts/1JsHuMjTKTN

6. Zorg

Zorg Active Member

My point was that used prices will go up when federal tax rebates go away. Packing more options in same base list price = reducing list price.

7. Cosimojack

Cosimojack Member

I’m waiting for my model 3, but since I have 3 kids have put out some feelers for a used Model S with AP1. Agree sellers here with no warranty’s in many cases are asking more the Tesla CPO. Not sure why people pay those prices, but more power to them if they can get it.

In the end, self driving IMO is going to have cars plummeting in value + why I’ve decided to pass on an 2012-2014 Model S. Self driving will be the minimum requirement expected of cars pretty soon... it’s crazy how quickly tech is advancing these days...

8. CarolinaBMXers

I ran into similar issues, rep told me that they will not do any cosmetic refurbishments.....kinda sad on this level of cars....i ended up buying a private party car TMC member car wits ESA.....15’ 85kw, loaded, 68k miles for 48500

9. GMan324

GMan324 Member

I wouldn’t think twice about an AP1 car unless you want FSD, which won’t come out for years. The August date is just EAP. The laws have to change for FSD and with all the overblown bad press surrounding each crash it won’t happen anytime soon.

I have an AP1 car and it is still superior to AP2 cars out there. It’s just a steal. Where else could you by 3 year old tech that is cheaper and better than the new stuff. Buy the fire sale now. You may never see this again.

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

It was a unlikely occurrence of two completely independent failures that caused this. Kind of like how planes crash.

First, I made a minor firewall change, and then left to go see a show. I didn't know when I left there was a problem.

Second, GMAIL decided that same day to basically send ALL my mail to the SPAM folder. :rolleyes: So I didn't see any notices or messages from TMC until I got home. Had I seen the messages, I probably could have fixed it from my phone while I was out.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  11. Don TLR

Don TLR Active Member

Click on the Request Pictures button and you should get some decent pictures Request Photos.JPG

12. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

Lol. I've done that each time, submitted my information, and nothing has ever happened.

• Informative x 1
  13. skreemer7

skreemer7 Member

I wonder what if the pricing and availability will change once July hits and they're in full force. Just thinking out loud, it seems that tesla would want to get rid of as much cpo inventory now as possible and next quarter, theyll try to sell as many new cars as possible and wouldn't want a bunch of 2 year Model Ses competing with new 3s. If anything, I'd think they'd raise the cpo prices next quarter.

Myself, I'm looking to pull the trigger on a P85D at some point in the next few months but am also considering the performance 3. With the pricing now, I'm strongly leaning to a used S.

• Like x 1
  14. Fobble

Fobble Member

I think the pre-owned inventory will only increase, as more and more lease returns and trade-ins. EV CPO site now starts showing increasing number of 2016 as well.
    I don't understand why pictures are not attached to each inventory by default. Why do we have to request on each and every vehicle? It's a hassle and good deals can be gone by the time SA replies.
    I am getting tired of Tesla's CPO purchasing process, with not-so-good price anyway. I am considering brand-new or might be looking into PHEV vehicles from other manufacturers.

15. Skeeboe

Skeeboe Member

I’m no used Tesla expert by any stretch but there are many on here who think CPO prices might be going up.... The only way that’s theoretically possible is if Tesla manipulates the market on both sides (CPO & new). I don’t see that being realistic due to the numersous laws in place to prevent such measures which would open Tesla to lawsuits.

IMO.... Until there’s a collectible value, prices will steadily decline on used and CPO. Good luck to those with a car they wish to sell at a premium!!! P.T. Barnum said it best...

16. Don TLR

Don TLR Active Member

Lame!! how do they think they're going to sell cars with that lack of response.. I got pictures for 2 cars recently, one was not in the best shape and another had close up of areas and when I questioned what they were I didn't get a response, I couldn't make out the pictures as there was so much glare and didn't know what they were focusing on..

17. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

No way. A Tesla is like a fine wine. Prices go up exponentially as it ages - just look around at the asking prices in this forum.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  18. cellphonechris

Had no idea the site owner was also from CT! I've been using it almost daily for research, thanks for creating it!

19. CarolinaBMXers

i hooked up with a sales rep....Steve, super helpful, personally emailed each time i found 1, he sent pics and tire report asap, no deposits placed.....i would not place deposit without seeing pics....i didnt find the request button to work at all....so i mentioned above, they do no cosmetic repairs, and they also mentioned that if a car is located in Cali, other than $2k shipping to East coast, there is also some big taxes that get tacked on.....
    (i went private owner with esa)

20. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

You're welcome! Glad I can help out.