TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pricing on CPOs - market status?

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by deaddog, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Fobble

Fobble Member

Super helpful web site to scrub CPO inventory. I am using your site for the detailed info, and teslainventory.com for price history. Appreciate the efforts and supports.

OTOH, Tesla CPO is a no-go.

2. silentsnow31802

Mine included in this 2 year lease. White P90DL due back in a couple months. I have put a LOT of miles on it so it should sell for cheap. OOooooorrrr they will keep it as a service loaner....

3. hmmm

hmmm Member

Yes, same here except that it's red :) It's going to be interesting to see how these get priced as CPOs because the current end of lease values are really high since there was such a massive discount on these cars, so they're going to work on these numbers. My 2016 pre-facelift P90DL I think is around $97k.

Also, as an FYI in case you're not aware, you can extend your current lease for 6 months (all terms stay the same). I just did it since my payments are so low and it's an easy one page/one signature process. This can be done when you have less than 3 payments left on a given lease, ie now for these Q3 2016 cars:

https://www.tesla.com/support/lease-end-options

I have a lot of miles on it too...my life loves the car primarily because I volunteer to run errands a lot more than I used to.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. mambro

mambro Supporting Member

What are you guys considering "a lot of miles"? I'm also curious about where lease cars end up that don't show up on the Used Car (former CPO) list. I am seeing some 2013-2014 higher mileage (70k plus) leases end up at auction and then my local dealers (or Chicago dealer) buying them. Now you've got me wondering how "bad" a car has to be for Tesla to send it off to an auction vs. Used Car or loaner pool it. There was another recent thread/post on TMC where one guy took the plunge, got his Used Car that passed the 70-pt inspection, and at pickup noticed it had the milling sound in the drive unit. Fun either way it seems.

5. CA_MD

CA_MD Member

I thought by law a car has to go to auction or have multiple bids when a car comes back from a lease so as to prevent price fixing?

6. diego629

diego629 Member

Tesla has the same right as any other dealer when they receive a lease turn in. They have a choice to keep it and remarket the vehicle themselves. Now, I manage a dealer here in VA and I have bought a few Teslas at the auction. According to the Tesla remarketing rep he has told me that any vehicle that has and prior paint work, whether it be major or minor all goes to the auction. Thus the reason why Tesla CPO sells such under conditioned. When vehicles are reconditioned properly there is no problem, but no reconditioning or even poor reconditioning is horrible.

7. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

Mines for sale, new X on the way.

8. silentsnow31802

Mine is at around 46k miles right now. Still have a couple month left. I am 22k miles over my allowance.

9. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Increase in lease return inventory + ramp of M3 sales + introduction of cheaper M3 will definitely drive the prices down in the very near future.

10. Zorg

Zorg Active Member

Looks like the future is now. Tons of 85d CPO in the mid 50s. In another 6-12 months we will start seeing X in significant numbers as well.

• Like x 1
  11. Zorg

Zorg Active Member

Wondering if Tesla is trying to steer buyers towards CPO this quarter so as not to hit the 200k cap.

12. skreemer7

skreemer7 Member

Any order placed now will be delivered after July 1st so I don't think that's it.

13. GMan324

GMan324 Member

The vehicles all receive an inspection that would cover any such problem, and an incredible warranty so that doesn’t really seem like a concern.

Tesla just doesn’t do the reconditioning like paint and wheel touchup. This is probably why they only keep the cars in the best condition and auction the rest.

I bought a CPO before the process changed, but still would consider a CPO again (just inspect it carefully and take blemishes into your pricing). I often found the CPOs to be better priced than here in the forum (and of course better than at other dealers) plus you get a warranty better than most new cars.

Remember if you buy at a dealership other than Tesla you are not elegible to purchase an extended warranty.

14. GMan324

GMan324 Member

Good points + CPOs now lack the full reconditioning. The CPO prices dropped as soon as they changed that policy.

To get a good deal you have to watch the market. When Tesla drops tons of CPOs there are always several steals to drive interest. I did this and grabbed a 2014 AP1 for the price of a non AP car.

15. skreemer7

skreemer7 Member

Yea I wonder when the next dump will be.

16. Fobble

Fobble Member

[QUOTE="

To get a good deal you have to watch the market. When Tesla drops tons of CPOs there are always several steals to drive interest. I did this and grabbed a 2014 AP1 for the price of a non AP car.[/QUOTE]

Remember, not just the price. For sale from same region does not have transportation fees. That alone is worth $2500.

17. ATCDee

ATCDee Member

Hey guys I wanted to see if I could get some input on a possible CPO purchase. I just put the deposit down and want to know if it is a good deal. Thanks in advanced!

18. ATCDee

ATCDee Member

19. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

Please read earlier post on this subject.

20. ATCDee

ATCDee Member

Is it in this thread or are you referring to a different thread? If so can you provide a link.