Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing on CPOs - market status?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the past repeats itself there will be a surge of cars available two weeks after quarter end and lasting through August. You'll find the best deals then. Fourth quarter will be even better because of the two year lease deal Tesla had two years ago.

I don't get it. The lessee is supposed to be charged for sings and what not. They could refurbish it at no cost to Tesla.
I get they won’t be perfect but now I have to weigh in cost at body shop.
Also Tesla doesn’t really take pictures of the inside so it could be beat up there and one wouldn’t know until seeing it in person.
They said I can reject any car that’s not to my liking and they’ll return the $1000 in 15-21 days

I requested photos of 4 cars yesterday. One of the P85D’s looked like it had been stolen it had scratches in so many areas. It literally had a stab wound in the front grille.

This CPO program is horrible. With all the chasing down of photos, transport fees, rejections of delivery...just fix the friggin cars! It would be cheaper in the long run and customer satisfaction would be vastly improved.

I’m putting off hope of finding anything until end of the quarter.

Reactions: Zorg
Seems like the magic bullet is finding a private sale of a CPO Tesla purchased recently under the previous program. That way you get remaining warranty, and the benefit of the car having been reconditioned.

Tesla is spinning the change as beneficial for customers by reducing the time it takes for delivery - but it's hard to believe that it was a major pain point. I suspect that this is all about reducing the capital needed to recondition the vehicles as they work towards profitability.

Light scratches and rock chips are normal wear and tear - but dents, gouges, and ripped interiors are things even mom and pop dealers would repair before putting vehicles on the market, let alone a manufacturer marketing their own CPO vehicles. They should find a compromise, and conduct basic reconditioning for major paint flaws and body work, but not go as far as in the past such as replacing seats, etc. to make the car like-new.

I'm starting to question whether I'll end up buying CPO at all, unless I get super lucky and find the rare combination of price, options, and condition. It doesn't help that Tesla can't sell in CT and I'd need to take delivery in NY or MA.

If a private sale is too cumbersome, there are a lot of Model S vehicles out there at reputable dealers, with whom you can negotiate lower prices and better trade values. Many of these Teslas still have a remainder on the factory warranty, in addition to the original drivetrain warranty.

I've seen many owners here not purchase the ESA at 50K miles, so buying used from a dealer would be no different under the right age/mileage. Unfortunately, it may also be the better buying experience based on the feedback being reported.

Anyone with experience want to help me estimate the cost of repair for this (ballpark)? Looks like the front nose cone needs to be replace and front bumper needs to be repainted.

That is the P85D I was looking at with the stab wound! It needs a new front bumper assembly at a minimum. Plus whatever other surprises you find. If you can source one yourself from a wreck it may be a few hundred. Going through Tesla would probably be 4x the price for parts and labor. I would either refinish/replace the rims and the tires are probably also toast.

A P85D that beat up was probably not treated gently by the previous owner.

That is the P85D I was looking at with the stab wound! It needs a new front bumper assembly at a minimum. Plus whatever other surprises you find. If you can source one yourself from a wreck it may be a few hundred. Going through Tesla would probably be 4x the price for parts and labor. I would either refinish/replace the rims and the tires are probably also toast.

A P85D that beat up was probably not treated gently by the previous owner.

Thanks. Yea I was going to replace rims with 21 turbines anyways. Exactly what I was thinking - it’s not just the currently visible damage, it’s what it says about the previous owner. There is that other red P85D but obviously lightly optioned versus this one. I honestly don’t care about these extra options (sound, subzero, lighting), it’s more of getting more for your money type of thing.

I think if it’s <$2k repair and car drops to $56-58k it might be worth a shot.

I can be patient until the right car comes along or drops to the right price so can do the aftermarket upgrades myself.

Thanks. Yea I was going to replace rims with 21 turbines anyways. Exactly what I was thinking - it’s not just the currently visible damage, it’s what it says about the previous owner. There is that other red P85D but obviously lightly optioned versus this one. I honestly don’t care about these extra options (sound, subzero, lighting), it’s more of getting more for your money type of thing.

I think if it’s <$2k repair and car drops to $56-58k it might be worth a shot.

I can be patient until the right car comes along or drops to the right price so can do the aftermarket upgrades myself.

It is one of the cheaper, fully optioned P85D's out there. If you factor in replacement rims and the body work I would say you could do better. Just a question of whether you want to spend the money all upfront or not.

Can Anyone weigh in thoughts on price for a 2014 P85 with AP1- $56,400
I was in between this and a 2015 70d. Aside from the All wheel drive (Im in Bay Area-mostly good weather
Autopilot and Pano were the 2 things I wanted in car. Can live with the rest either way
I drive 150 miles/day on average- do tires and maintenance add up more on the Performance line? Will use to commute but also wanted something fun. in reality happy with either as long as price is fair
Vin:5YJSA1H1XEFP56176

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 1.05.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 1.05.27 AM.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Can Anyone weigh in thoughts on price for a 2014 P85 with AP1- $56,400
I was in between this and a 2015 70d. Aside from the All wheel drive (Im in Bay Area-mostly good weather
Autopilot and Pano were the 2 things I wanted in car. Can live with the rest either way
I drive 150 miles/day on average- do tires and maintenance add up more on the Performance line? Will use to commute but also wanted something fun. in reality happy with either as long as price is fair
Vin:5YJSA1H1XEFP56176
that doesn't specify AP1 on the attached list. it's early, and i've only sipped the coffee a couple times so maybe i missed it. Is it a private party sale? Mileage? Warranty remaining aside the battery/du?

It is a Tesla CPO
It said Autopilot on the page when I clicked buy. I sorted for cars only with Autopilot.
If the car is in nice condition I would say it's probably worth it. I don't believe there were too many P85's with autopilot but I could be wrong. My car is a year older and doesn't have autopilot and did cost substantially less as a comparison. About $44 after taxes and prices were a bit better at the end of last year.

Check the for sale threads for any comparable cars. If someone is selling a CPO privately there may be a slightly better deal and similar warranties.

If the car is in nice condition I would say it's probably worth it. I don't believe there were too many P85's with autopilot but I could be wrong. My car is a year older and doesn't have autopilot and did cost substantially less as a comparison. About $44 after taxes and prices were a bit better at the end of last year.

Check the for sale threads for any comparable cars. If someone is selling a CPO privately there may be a slightly better deal and similar warranties.
I’m going to keep looking. Haven’t found much. I think I have 72 hours to move my deposit to another car.
The car stood out to me because it only had 27,000 miles so was hoping the original owner took care of it.

Reactions: Olds442