Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing Question Please....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings all -

Going for a test drive on Friday and have been playing with the Tesla configurator and reading this forum like crazy.

Quick question about pricing, please.

The model I price out ends up being something like $93,500 but I notice that in small print it says "factoring in $7500 federal rebate that can be used to offset the downpayment" or something along those lines.

Does this mean that the cost of my configured car is really more like $101K? Then tax, registration, I'm looking at around $110K total?

I don't believe you can use the tax break until you file your 2013 taxes next year and then I can take the Fed + CA rebate of $10K total right off my taxes - so not sure what they mean when they say it helps with the downpayment.

Sorry if this is a confusing post.

Thanks for any advice you can provide! I'm REALLY looking forward to the test drive and hoping the huge size of the car will not put off my wife. We test drove BMW 750Li and Audi A8 and she was ok with them.

The price they show is after the $7,500 federal tax credit. So this means you pay the $101,000 plus tax then when tax time rolls around next year, you pay $7,500 less in federal taxes assuming you pay more than $7,500 in federal taxes which most people buying a car like this do.

Which model did you price out, the P85 pr P85+?

Tesla's trickery here is annoying and deceptive and I wish they would just tell it as it is. The car is very expensive and they do everything they can to hide the true price. The "true cost of ownership" page is laughable, in my opinion.

I decided to create my own configurator in an Excel spreadsheet, with the base price starting with 7500 added. Everything else just comes out correctly at that point. Tesla should do this too. They won't, of course, but they should.

Tesla's trickery here is annoying and deceptive and I wish they would just tell it as it is. The car is very expensive and they do everything they can to hide the true price. The "true cost of ownership" page is laughable, in my opinion.

I decided to create my own configurator in an Excel spreadsheet, with the base price starting with 7500 added. Everything else just comes out correctly at that point. Tesla should do this too. They won't, of course, but they should.

Thanks so much for the replies everybody! You answered my question.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Stoney! I did NOT know that about the CA rebate. I had thought it was a tax-time break as well. I saw it appears to be funded through 2015 so it looks like I may get a check...

- - - Updated - - -

P85+, no pano, tech, sound studio, no charging options, 19" wheels...will charge it via 240v in garage and have the luxury of charging it every night super off-peak (12am -6am) for $0.11 per KwH.

I did the same when I bought my car. This is one area unfortunately where Tesla didn't break from the old dealer purchasing model.

The price they show is after the $7,500 federal tax credit. So this means you pay the $101,000 plus tax then when tax time rolls around next year, you pay $7,500 less in federal taxes assuming you pay more than $7,500 in federal taxes which most people buying a car like this do.

Since most people pay their taxes throughout the year, either through withholding or estimated payments, it's generally possible to recover the $7,500 sooner.

If you are getting the P85+ with 19" wheels are you getting any credit back? You could probably sell the P85+ rims to someone and end up with enough to buy the 19" wheel set.

Ugh...sorry about that .... Model S Performance....not the Performance Plus...

- - - Updated - - -

Since most people pay their taxes throughout the year, either through withholding or estimated payments, it's generally possible to recover the $7,500 sooner.

Excellent point...just increase the number of witholdings.....why loan the government money interest-free... ;)

Ugh...sorry about that .... Model S Performance....not the Performance Plus...

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent point...just increase the number of witholdings.....why loan the government money interest-free... ;)

Ah, no problem. You can still upgrade your all season tires to a more performance oriented summer tire if you want. Have tons of options in the 19" size and very few in the 21" size.