Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Privacy covers for windows when camping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

After the MY is delivered, my wife and I are planning on visiting some camp sites and sleeping in the Y as the "Bedroom" with a tent that attaches to the rear of the car as a "living room / dining room"... we will close the hatch for sleeping, and it will be covered by the tent, and they make windshield covers... but what about side windows?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Keith

These are light, inexpensive, and easy to attach. And you can order them for whichever set of windows you want.

Reactions: rjpjnk
I am using the following side widow shades when waiting at a supercharger on a sunny day.
They provide some shade and privacy, so this might be something that you could consider using when camping.

QuikSnap sunshades - Custom Side Window sunshades (Set of 4) - Tesla Model 3
QuikSnap sunshades - Custom Side Window sunshades (Set of 4) - Tesla Model Y

I use also an aluminum covered windshield sunshade to block the sun and the light when parked to watch a movie.
I was thinking using a similar type of sunshade for the side windows but I liked also to see outside so I decided to use
some type of mesh fabric to cover the side windows instead of the aluminum cover material.

Last edited:
These are light, inexpensive, and easy to attach. And you can order them for whichever set of windows you want.

Ugh, I was just looking at these. I have one for the windshield and it's incredible for heat...rejection?

I am using the following side widow shades when waiting at a supercharger on a sunny day.
They provide some shade and privacy, so this might be something that you could consider using when camping.

QuikSnap sunshades - Custom Side Window sunshades (Set of 4) - Tesla Model 3
QuikSnap sunshades - Custom Side Window sunshades (Set of 4) - Tesla Model Y

I use also an aluminum covered windshield sunshade to block the sun and the light when parked to watch a movie.
I was thinking using a similar type of sunshade for the side windows but I liked also to see outside so I decided to use
some type of mesh fabric to cover the side windows instead of the aluminum cover material.

Those look good for if my wife wants extra shade while I am driving since you can see through them and they have cutout for side view mirror, but how much do they prevent people looking in? I almost think you could take these and put regular thin opaque fabric on them for true privacy shields.

Keith

I got this with my Tesmat... can't say I've used it yet, but here it is...

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Those look good for if my wife wants extra shade while I am driving since you can see through them and they have cutout for side view mirror, but how much do they prevent people looking in? I almost think you could take these and put regular thin opaque fabric on them for true privacy shields.
If you really want a total blackout you can use some pieces of cardboard, this will cost nothing...
I made some indeed using the screens as template, but I never really used those
because the mesh were sufficient as you cannot really see through from the outside.

The major reason for not using rigid material is that you need to be able to crank the windows
to get some air circulation, so using mesh material is a great advantage.

Also when you are in the wilderness, typically after 5 pm when the sun is going down,
you need to stay inside to protect you from mosquitos invasion !!!

I little tip that I would recommend is to create a special setting that I called 'Camp Mode',
allowing in one click to have the driver seat moving all the way against the steering wheel,
otherwise you will have to keep your fingers on the seats adjustment buttons until the seat moved all the way forward.

Doing so, you get then a lot of space on the back seat area, and also you can easily reach
the central display panel when looking for a movie or adjusting the AC.

Last edited:
Found these at Daiso. $1.50 each. Seems to works great when testing it out. Very hard to see in from the outside in at night unless illuminated from the inside. Even then, it was difficult to see inside. Looking forward to using it on my next camping trip.

Screen1.jpg

Screen2.jpg

screen3.jpg

I definitely recommend the Heatshield products mentioned above. Best I've ever seen.